Format Excel cells for "all caps", with Office 07?

Louisana Jim

      23rd Jan 2010
How do I format Excel cells for "all caps", with Office 07? That is to say
that I use an Excel form frequently, which has several cells that require a
single alpha character fill in. When the form prints, the lower case
characters appear small and less predominant then the body text and numbers.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Fred Smith

      23rd Jan 2010
My best suggestion is to simply use the Caps Lock key. That's what it's for.

If that doesn't work, you can use the Upper function, either in the
worksheet or in VBA, to change data to upper case.

Regards
Fred

"Louisana Jim" <Louisana (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I format Excel cells for "all caps", with Office 07? That is to
> say
> that I use an Excel form frequently, which has several cells that require
> single alpha character fill in. When the form prints, the lower case
> characters appear small and less predominant then the body text and
> numbers.
> Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave Peterson

      23rd Jan 2010
Excel doesn't have this ability.

You could use a helper cell with a formula like:
=upper(a1)

You could use a macro that changes the case (from Chip Pearson's site):
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/ChangingCase.aspx

Chip shows how to use a dedicated macro that changes the case of the cells in
the current selection and he shows how to use an event macro that changes the
value to upper case when the user types it in.

Another option would be to install a "caps-only" font (search google) and format
that cell using that font. Remember that anyone you share that workbook with
will have to have the font installed if they want the same look as you.

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

      23rd Jan 2010
As Fred points out.............you cannot format a cell to UPPER case.

You can have a helper cell with the UPPER function or use caps lock or VBA
code.

Worksheet event code to be stored in the worksheet module.

Works on columns A and B................post back if need different range or
ranges.

If Target.Column > 2 Then Exit Sub
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Formula = UCase(Target.Formula)
ErrHandler:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code"

Copy/paste the code into that module.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:46:01 -0800, Louisana Jim <Louisana
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How do I format Excel cells for "all caps", with Office 07? That is to say
>that I use an Excel form frequently, which has several cells that require a
>single alpha character fill in. When the form prints, the lower case
>characters appear small and less predominant then the body text and numbers.
>Thanks for your suggestions.

Bill Sharpe

      24th Jan 2010
Louisana Jim wrote:
> How do I format Excel cells for "all caps", with Office 07? That is to say
> that I use an Excel form frequently, which has several cells that require a
> single alpha character fill in. When the form prints, the lower case
> characters appear small and less predominant then the body text and numbers.
> Thanks for your suggestions.

Using Caps Lock is the simple straightforward solution, subject to easy
user override. I like the suggested idea of formatting the cell in an
all-caps font, especially if the file isn't going anywhere outside of
Jim's computer.

Bill