How to force resolution (make 9700 keep its resolution at startup)

Thomas Gunnarsrud

      12th Sep 2003
Hi!

I have a problem.. My monitor cable somtimes have a bad connection and I
think that is why some times when I start up WinXP the resolution is set to
640x480x8bit.

So, how can I force this damn thing to always keep its set resolution at
1024x768x32 regardless of what it senses of connected or not connected
monitors?? A little frustrating to change this almost every time.

Any suggestions how this can be done? My old GF mx never did this. Btw, the
monitor cable is not with a plug at the monitor side and not so easily
changed. And the montior will be dumped for a LCD in a few months anyway...

Thanks for your help!

Bob Knowlden

      13th Sep 2003
I believe that you can do this by turning off DDC, if you have the ATI
control panel installed.

Go to the Display control panel, Settings tab, Advanced button, Display tab.
Click on the monitor you're using, and uncheck the "Use DDC information"
tab. I hope that similar settings will be available in non-US versions of
the control panel, if that's what you're using.

The risk with this is that you will not be limited to choosing only settings
that the monitor will support. Some older monitors can be damaged by being
run out-of-range, but newer ones protect themselves from that. (It would be
useful to recall how to boot into Safe Mode to reset the resolution/referesh
rate, should you make a mistake.)

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

Spam dodger may be in use. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"Thomas Gunnarsrud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjtaoi$navf2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi!
>
> I have a problem.. My monitor cable somtimes have a bad connection and I
> think that is why some times when I start up WinXP the resolution is set

> 640x480x8bit.
>
> So, how can I force this damn thing to always keep its set resolution at
> 1024x768x32 regardless of what it senses of connected or not connected
> monitors?? A little frustrating to change this almost every time.
>
> Any suggestions how this can be done? My old GF mx never did this. Btw,

the
> monitor cable is not with a plug at the monitor side and not so easily
> changed. And the montior will be dumped for a LCD in a few months

anyway...

> Thanks for your help!

Thomas Gunnarsrud

      13th Sep 2003
"Bob Knowlden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjtma5$n7edc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I believe that you can do this by turning off DDC, if you have the ATI
> control panel installed.

Forgot to mention that my monitor doesn't support DDC. So I think the
problem is as if you don't turn the monitor on before you boot - the card
doesn't sense that there is a monitor connected and starts up in a "safe"
low resolution. I've innstalled the control panel and looked over all
settings but can't find anything that should help this problem.

Thomas