Force Drive Letters

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBHcmVnb3J5?=

      13th Feb 2006
I have a problem with Windows XP, I have changed the drive letters for my CD
and DVD devices to "V" and "W" to avoid the constant re-lettering of these
drives due to the addition of USB memory devices or flash memory cards.

For some reason, the next re-start after using a removable drive, Windows XP
seems to continually forget the letters that I have reassigned the CD/DVD
drives, and it reassigns new letters to them again, to whatever configuration
it thinks appropriate at that moment (the letters vary). The end result is
that my CD-ROM and DVD-ROM always seemed to be labeled with a different drive
letter. This moving target of changing drive letters is causing other
programs to have problems since they never seem to know where to find the
constantly moving optical drives.
How do I force Windows keep the drive letters that I have assigned to these
devices?

The drive letters may, or may not stay fixed e.g. I get the desired drive
letters working with just the CD/DVD and hard drives - boots ok, then I add a
USB device and the CD & DVD change letters again. Another anomoly is that if
I start the computer with a CD in the drive (Music CD), the drive letters
change again.

Very frustrating!

Yves Leclerc

      13th Feb 2006
On 13/02/2006 John Gregory <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a problem with Windows XP, I have changed the drive letters for my CD
>and DVD devices to "V" and "W" to avoid the constant re-lettering of these
>drives due to the addition of USB memory devices or flash memory cards.
>
>For some reason, the next re-start after using a removable drive, Windows XP
>seems to continually forget the letters that I have reassigned the CD/DVD
>drives, and it reassigns new letters to them again, to whatever configuration
>it thinks appropriate at that moment (the letters vary). The end result is
>that my CD-ROM and DVD-ROM always seemed to be labeled with a different drive
>letter. This moving target of changing drive letters is causing other
>programs to have problems since they never seem to know where to find the
>constantly moving optical drives.
>How do I force Windows keep the drive letters that I have assigned to these
>devices?
>
>The drive letters may, or may not stay fixed e.g. I get the desired drive
>letters working with just the CD/DVD and hard drives - boots ok, then I add a
>USB device and the CD & DVD change letters again. Another anomoly is that if
>I start the computer with a CD in the drive (Music CD), the drive letters
>change again.
>
>Very frustrating!

Double post! See the replies in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

--
---

Y.

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5bW9u?=

      14th Feb 2006
You might be able to by using the TweakUI utility..?, see link below..
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
Once you're in the TweakUI Powertoy utility, click the + my computer,
drives, and uncheck any drive letters you don't need.. You may need to leave
the temp drives in place for several reboots and or cold boots, this might
help XP remember the settings..
Hope this can help..
j;-j