folder view in active desktop folders

number9

      8th Oct 2004
I use desktop folders (desktop objects, which address is a folder not
a file) to group links and shortcuts.
I want to have the folderview set to list or details, but
XP does not remember the folderview settings for this folders,

(it does remember my folderview settings within the windows-explorer,
so it is not the problem of windows saving only 400 bags of
foldersettings and I already tried all tips regarding this issue).

checking or unchecking the value for "remember each folder's setting"
does not have a result to this.

I can select foldertype templates and regarding to it the view is
either switched to tiles or thumbnails. XP says to use folder type
templates you have to switch on common tasks in folders, I can say
"no" and the view settings is still applied.
So changing the folder templates could help.

any ideas?

thanx,
number9

number9

      8th Oct 2004
continued:

sorry for my bad english.
I have tried all that Kelly wrote here
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=d...tngp13.phx.gbl

and David Candy wrote here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=d...TNGP10.phx.gbl

I hope I did understand everything..
.... so I did try everything, but still the same:

XP saves and remembers folderviews within the explorer correctly.

My desktopfolders still don't save any settings.
I have added them via: right click, properties, desktop, costomize,
web, new...
and then gave a address to a subfolder of the desktop (I also tried
other locations).

I can change the viewmode of the folder, but when I do a
desktop-refresh the Icons go back to Tiles or Thumbnails (depending
what type of folder I have selected, when I go to the "customize
folder" (don't know the original english (non-)translation, I've got a
german windows XP SP2).

The active desktop is activated, so there is a htt file where my
desktopfolders are defined as iframes.
Does it mean IE is responsible for the settings?

I've got this "customize folder" in the context-menu when I click into
the folder on the desktop, which I don't have when I open the same
folder in the windows explorer.
(by the way: watching the folder in the windows explorer all settings
are correct and correctly saved). But when I start IE and then go to
the local location (also with tree view, so IE acts like windows
explorer) I have the "customize folder" menu entry in the context
menu. Despite of IE beeing the viewer for the folders content it is
displayed correctly (details or whatever I want).

If I turn off or on: "save settings for each folder",
If I use "apply to all" or "reset all",
delete all bags- and streams settings,
the behavior is the same.

I better forget about using desktop folders or is there still hope?

number9 (Matthias)