Folder Permissions to support Reminders

alanb

      10th Sep 2008
Where do I change folder permissions in Microsoft Outlook 2007 to support
reminders?

I am getting the message that a reminder will not be set as this folder does
not support reminders. This is happening when I select a Contact and copy it
to my Calendar as an appointment. When I select the reminder period for the
Calendar item, the message appears when I try to save the Calendar item, "The
reminder for ________ will not appear because the item is in a folder that
does not support reminders. Is this OK?".

I am assuming the folder permissions have somehow gotten changed as I used
to be able to do this.

A similar message appears if I try to copy an Email from my InBox to my
Tasks folder, or to copy an email from my InBox to my Calendar.

--
Alan

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      10th Sep 2008
Reminders only fire from default folders - it has nothing to do with
permissions. Go to folder list (ctrl+6) and see how many calendars are in
your profile. Make sure you are using the default one.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where do I change folder permissions in Microsoft Outlook 2007 to support
> reminders?
>
> I am getting the message that a reminder will not be set as this folder
> does
> not support reminders. This is happening when I select a Contact and copy
> it
> to my Calendar as an appointment. When I select the reminder period for
> the
> Calendar item, the message appears when I try to save the Calendar item,
> "The
> reminder for ________ will not appear because the item is in a folder that
> does not support reminders. Is this OK?".
>
> I am assuming the folder permissions have somehow gotten changed as I used
> to be able to do this.
>
> A similar message appears if I try to copy an Email from my InBox to my
> Tasks folder, or to copy an email from my InBox to my Calendar.
>
> --
> Alan

alanb

      10th Sep 2008
Diane:

Under "My Calendars" I have the default Calendar as checked. It is the only
one checked. I also have an Archive Calendar but it is not checked when I am
trying set a reminder.

--
Alan

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> Reminders only fire from default folders - it has nothing to do with
> permissions. Go to folder list (ctrl+6) and see how many calendars are in
> your profile. Make sure you are using the default one.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Where do I change folder permissions in Microsoft Outlook 2007 to support
> > reminders?
> >
> > I am getting the message that a reminder will not be set as this folder
> > does
> > not support reminders. This is happening when I select a Contact and copy
> > it
> > to my Calendar as an appointment. When I select the reminder period for
> > the
> > Calendar item, the message appears when I try to save the Calendar item,
> > "The
> > reminder for ________ will not appear because the item is in a folder that
> > does not support reminders. Is this OK?".
> >
> > I am assuming the folder permissions have somehow gotten changed as I used
> > to be able to do this.
> >
> > A similar message appears if I try to copy an Email from my InBox to my
> > Tasks folder, or to copy an email from my InBox to my Calendar.
> >
> > --
> > Alan

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      10th Sep 2008
Does matter if its checked. Which calendar is the appointment in?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Diane:
>
> Under "My Calendars" I have the default Calendar as checked. It is the
> only
> one checked. I also have an Archive Calendar but it is not checked when I
> am
> trying set a reminder.
>
> --
> Alan
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Reminders only fire from default folders - it has nothing to do with
>> permissions. Go to folder list (ctrl+6) and see how many calendars are in
>> your profile. Make sure you are using the default one.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point
>> your
>> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>

>> "alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Where do I change folder permissions in Microsoft Outlook 2007 to
>> > support
>> > reminders?
>> >
>> > I am getting the message that a reminder will not be set as this folder
>> > does
>> > not support reminders. This is happening when I select a Contact and
>> > copy
>> > it
>> > to my Calendar as an appointment. When I select the reminder period
>> > for
>> > the
>> > Calendar item, the message appears when I try to save the Calendar
>> > item,
>> > "The
>> > reminder for ________ will not appear because the item is in a folder
>> > that
>> > does not support reminders. Is this OK?".
>> >
>> > I am assuming the folder permissions have somehow gotten changed as I
>> > used
>> > to be able to do this.
>> >
>> > A similar message appears if I try to copy an Email from my InBox to my
>> > Tasks folder, or to copy an email from my InBox to my Calendar.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Alan

alanb

      10th Sep 2008
The regular/default Calendar folder which is the checked folder.

Note that this error message also occurs when emails are copied to Task as
well as emails copied Calendar, and Contacts copied to Calendar.
--
Alan

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> Does matter if its checked. Which calendar is the appointment in?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Diane:
> >
> > Under "My Calendars" I have the default Calendar as checked. It is the
> > only
> > one checked. I also have an Archive Calendar but it is not checked when I
> > am
> > trying set a reminder.
> >
> > --
> > Alan
> >

> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Reminders only fire from default folders - it has nothing to do with
> >> permissions. Go to folder list (ctrl+6) and see how many calendars are in
> >> your profile. Make sure you are using the default one.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips by email:
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>
> >> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>
> >> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point
> >> your
> >> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
> >>

> >> "alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      10th Sep 2008
That was supposed to be:
> Doesn't matter if its checked. Which calendar is the appointment in?

not

> Does matter if its checked. Which calendar is the appointment in?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Diane:
>>
>> Under "My Calendars" I have the default Calendar as checked. It is the
>> only
>> one checked. I also have an Archive Calendar but it is not checked when
>> I am
>> trying set a reminder.
>>
>> --
>> Alan
>>

>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Reminders only fire from default folders - it has nothing to do with
>>> permissions. Go to folder list (ctrl+6) and see how many calendars are
>>> in
>>> your profile. Make sure you are using the default one.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>>
>>> Outlook Tips by email:
>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point
>>> your
>>> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>>

>>> "alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      10th Sep 2008
try restarting outlook with the /resetfolders switch.
at start menu, run, type
outlook.exe /resetfolders

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The checked Calendar is also the default Calendar is also the Calendar the
> appointment is in.
>
> --
> Alan
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> That was supposed to be:
>> > Doesn't matter if its checked. Which calendar is the appointment in?

>> not
>>
>> > Does matter if its checked. Which calendar is the appointment in?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>> >
>> > Outlook Tips by email:
>> > (E-Mail Removed)
>> >
>> > EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>> > (E-Mail Removed)
>> >
>> > You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point
>> > your
>> > newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>> >

>> > "alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

alanb

      10th Sep 2008
Diane:

OK---where is the RUN command in VISTA? I used to know exactly what to do
in XP but still learning VISTA.

HELP!?!?

--
Alan

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> try restarting outlook with the /resetfolders switch.
> at start menu, run, type
> outlook.exe /resetfolders
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The checked Calendar is also the default Calendar is also the Calendar the
> > appointment is in.
> >
> > --
> > Alan
> >

> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> That was supposed to be:
> >>
> >> not

alanb

      10th Sep 2008
Diane:

got Outlook restarted with the resetfolders switch. Still getting the same
"error" message about folder not supproting reminders.

Now what?

--
Alan

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> try restarting outlook with the /resetfolders switch.
> at start menu, run, type
> outlook.exe /resetfolders
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "alanb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The checked Calendar is also the default Calendar is also the Calendar the
> > appointment is in.
> >
> > --
> > Alan
> >

> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> That was supposed to be:
> >>
> >> not

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      11th Sep 2008
for others who might read the thread - in vista, you can type it in the
start search field and press enter.