folder locations for auto text, auto correct, macros, etc.

=?Utf-8?B?am1pbGxhcg==?=

      5th Nov 2006
Because my internet backup service will not back up hidden folders, I moved
the .dot files from \username \ application data \ microsoft \ templates to \
my documents \ templates

--and then had to move them right back because auto text, auto correct,
macros and such had disappeared.

Where are these entries stored? In an "OFFICE11" folder, maybe, but which?

\ program files \ microsoft office \OFFICE11 ?
\ program files \ common files \microsoft shared \ OFFICE11 ?
C: \ CMSOcache \ allusers \..... \ MSOFFICE \ OFFICE11 ?

Any chance that I could move the one or ones to a backupable folder without
having a Chernobyl event?

--thanx.

Jay Freedman

      5th Nov 2006
Most (but not all) of that information is in your templates,
particularly in normal.dot. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...latesStore.htm for
particulars.

The problem with moving them to another folder is that you also have
to tell Word where to look for them. First make a *copy* of the
Templates folder in the new location. Then go to Tools > Options >
File Locations and modify the User Templates item to point to the new
folder. Then you can empty the old folder (but you should probably
leave the empty folder in place, in case you need it later).

What probably happened was that after you moved the templates, the
next time you started Word it failed to find normal.dot, so it created
a new one with no customizations.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman