Folder/File permissions

Christine Williams

      7th Feb 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to organize my photo files and moving various folders between
folders.

I am the only person using this laptop, I have Vista, I have permissions for
all users wide open.

I create a directory/folder and then I try to move another folder into it
and get the following error:

Destination Folder Access Denied
You need permission to perform this action

I've created these folders and photos using the one and only username on
this laptop.
I own the folders and photos.

I open Properties on the folder and I see it's set to READ ONLY so I unclick
and also click OK to confirm attribute changes:
Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files is
checked

I go back into properties and READ ONLY is checked again.

I don't even know if this is the cause of the problem.

So I go to the D drive where the folders/files are located.
Properties >Security
All groups and users have full control checked.

I do not understand why some folders can be copied to another folder while
others cannot. It's not a consistent issue.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thank you
Christine

Michael Walraven

      7th Feb 2010
Your folder is NOT set to 'read only,' only files can have the read only
attribute set. Folders do not have a 'read only' attribute to be set. Note
that the box is 'grayed' out (your color may vary). It is not 'checked' or
'empty'.

As for why you cannot move things into specific directories that would
depend on the location and name of the directories/folders involved. If you
feel comfortable in revealing that, post back and perhaps someone can help.

Michael

"Christine Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to organize my photo files and moving various folders between
> folders.
>
> I am the only person using this laptop, I have Vista, I have permissions
> for
> all users wide open.
>
> I create a directory/folder and then I try to move another folder into it
> and get the following error:
>
> Destination Folder Access Denied
> You need permission to perform this action
>
> I've created these folders and photos using the one and only username on
> this laptop.
> I own the folders and photos.
>
> I open Properties on the folder and I see it's set to READ ONLY so I
> unclick
> and also click OK to confirm attribute changes:
> Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files is
> checked
>
> I go back into properties and READ ONLY is checked again.
>
> I don't even know if this is the cause of the problem.
>
> So I go to the D drive where the folders/files are located.
> Properties >Security
> All groups and users have full control checked.
>

> I do not understand why some folders can be copied to another folder while
> others cannot. It's not a consistent issue.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?
>
> Thank you
> Christine

R. C. White

      7th Feb 2010
Hi, Christine.

> I go back into properties and READ ONLY is checked again.

Michael is correct. See this KB article:
You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders
in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Christine Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to organize my photo files and moving various folders between
> folders.
>
> I am the only person using this laptop, I have Vista, I have permissions
> for
> all users wide open.
>
> I create a directory/folder and then I try to move another folder into it
> and get the following error:
>
> Destination Folder Access Denied
> You need permission to perform this action
>
> I've created these folders and photos using the one and only username on
> this laptop.
> I own the folders and photos.
>
> I open Properties on the folder and I see it's set to READ ONLY so I
> unclick
> and also click OK to confirm attribute changes:
> Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files is
> checked
>
> I go back into properties and READ ONLY is checked again.
>
> I don't even know if this is the cause of the problem.
>
> So I go to the D drive where the folders/files are located.
> Properties >Security
> All groups and users have full control checked.
>

> I do not understand why some folders can be copied to another folder while
> others cannot. It's not a consistent issue.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?
>
> Thank you
> Christine

Christine Williams

      7th Feb 2010

Thanks...

Ok, I was only thinking this was why I couldn't move my folders around, but
I can see this is not why since it's related to files only. Incidently, fi
the READ ONLY is for files in the folder only, then how do you explain a
folder that has READ ONLY checked but I can still update the files in that
foler... I have a folder that's set to Read Only and the files are
spreadsheets and I update them everyday. So something is seriously messed
up. But anyway, I digress...

I got around the issue by creating new folders and just moving the files to
those folders. I've spent far too much time on this at this point... but I
THANK YOU for your responses. I'll visit this again when it thoroughly
fustrates me!

Thanks
Christine

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eDCzF%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Christine.
>
>> I go back into properties and READ ONLY is checked again.

> Michael is correct. See this KB article:
> You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of
> folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in
> Windows 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;326549
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Christine Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to organize my photo files and moving various folders between
>> folders.
>>
>> I am the only person using this laptop, I have Vista, I have permissions
>> for
>> all users wide open.
>>
>> I create a directory/folder and then I try to move another folder into it
>> and get the following error:
>>
>> Destination Folder Access Denied
>> You need permission to perform this action
>>
>> I've created these folders and photos using the one and only username on
>> this laptop.
>> I own the folders and photos.
>>
>> I open Properties on the folder and I see it's set to READ ONLY so I
>> unclick
>> and also click OK to confirm attribute changes:
>> Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files is
>> checked
>>
>> I go back into properties and READ ONLY is checked again.
>>
>> I don't even know if this is the cause of the problem.
>>
>> So I go to the D drive where the folders/files are located.
>> Properties >Security
>> All groups and users have full control checked.
>>

>> I do not understand why some folders can be copied to another folder
>> while
>> others cannot. It's not a consistent issue.
>>
>> Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> Thank you
>> Christine

      3rd Mar 2010
The folder itself is generally marked READ ONLY even if you've done
nothing to also mark all the files within it as READ ONLY.

Robert Miles