folder/file 1386

Julie

      17th Nov 2003
Anyone know what this file/folder is? I am unable to
open it and would like to know how and whether or not I
can delete it. thanks.

Bareill

      17th Nov 2003

"Julie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5d2e01c3ad3d$4558be80$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know what this file/folder is? I am unable to
> open it and would like to know how and whether or not I
> can delete it. thanks.

You can open it through Windows Explorer>>My Computer>>Boot (C)>>Windows>>ServicePackFiles>>i1386.
When you look into it you won't want to delete it.
It's all the original files from the XP setup CD.
Hope this helps

Ron Martell

      17th Nov 2003
"Julie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know what this file/folder is? I am unable to
>open it and would like to know how and whether or not I
>can delete it. thanks.

Is the folder named 1386 or I386?

Windows uses the I386 folder to store the Windows XP installation
files that are often needed when installing new hardware or software
on the machine.

If your computer has an OEM provided "System Recovery" CD then the
I386 folder is pretty much indispensable and should not be deleted.
Doing so would seriously impact your ability to make any changes or
additions to the computer and with a System Recovery CD the only way
to get the folder back is likely going to be a total "slash and burn"
recovery operation which will put your computer back to the way it was
when it left the factory, wiping out all of your user data files and
installed applications in the process.

If you have a genuine Windows XP install CD, such as comes with the
retail versions or with the generic (no manufacturer's name or logo)
OEM versions, then you could replace the I386 folder by copying it
from the CD, or you could insert the CD everytime you made any changes
to the computer and it needs some of these files.

My suggestion is to leave the I386 folder in place. It makes things
much more convenient and hard drive space is cheaper than dirt these
days.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Chuck

      18th Nov 2003
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:01:56 -0800, "Julie"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know what this file/folder is? I am unable to
>open it and would like to know how and whether or not I
>can delete it. thanks.

Julie,

I386 contains a backup copy of Windows. You don't need it to run
Windows, but if you ever have to repair or reload one of the
components, you'll appreciate having it. If you have an OEM version
of Windows, it contains drivers put there by your computer
manufacturer that are important to your computer - that you won't find
on your standard Windows CD.

You can delete it. But I wouldn't unless I was really starved for
disk space. If it's size was seriously important to my free hard
drive space, I'd get a new hard drive.

Cheers,

Chuck
I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

Dads Mail

      26th Nov 2003
This folder contains all the system files for your computer in a compressed
form and you may need them for a system repair and I would not delete them
if I was you
The reason you cannot open the folder is that you may not have Administrator
rights