PC Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Flops' Friday mini blog

Webmistress

8th Dec 2011
Mmmm pear juice sounds tasty Pear cider would be even better!

That's great news about the 5 year milestone

"Other girl's luxuries are my necessities, so buddy, beware!"

8th Dec 2011
Got my fingers crossed for you on the 4th Jan

Crunchie Cat

9th Dec 2011
Congrats on your 5 year milestone Flopps, and here's wishing you all the very best on 4th January.

sugar 'n spikes

26th Dec 2011
Well here we are at 1.45am Boxing Day and another ordeal is over, Christmas has gone away for a whole twelve months – hooray!

All those toys that were bought by parents on a budget, probably about 80% will break in the first two hours of play and the gift’s child recipient will gain another lesson in life – that just because it came from Mum & Dad wrapped up real nice don’t mean to say it’s gonna be any good.

Mum & Dad (assuming, of course, this a family with straight parents who are still together) are probably not well off so bought cheap toys. Cheap toys break. Hey! Buy one quality toy rather than six pieces of crap, ok?

There’s nothing sadder than seeing discarded broken toys at the council dump site, so many broken dreams and promises, children should really be shielded from that for a while.

I spent Christmas Day largely by myself but Faye came home at 7pm having finished her work shift and we spoke a while. I favour Christmas by myself – luxury. I can do just whatever the hell I like and eat and drink whatever I fancy.

My dinner today. Tescos were selling these gammon joints, a large red label proclaimed ‘Half Price! 4.99’ and it was stuck on this huge monster joint of smoked meat. ‘I’ll have some of that’ thought I ‘Bargain’

Arriving home I looked at Tescos till receipt and found gammon joint had in fact cost 10.38. It was half price alright but looking at small print on label the price of 4.99 referred to ‘per kilo’. You bastids, sure fooled me.

So I cooked it, slow cook, 4 hours, sage and onion fresh stuffing, roast potatoes, Brussels sprouts, gravy, stuffed myself rotten, fabulous, all washed down with a glass of Italian white.

But I now have this humungous joint of cooked gammon that I reckon I could get about 15 meals out of. I’m not eating the same thing every day for two weeks so I guess I’ll chuck about half of it away. Will I ever learn?

Went for a half hour stroll today round Greenwich but mostly stayed at home, had a Badedas bath and then showered, played video games including Skyrim, Dishwasher: Vampire Smile (great) and Hard Reset (3.24 on Steam, mindless fps, love it).

Opened me pressies and Sophie had bought me Red Hot Chili Peppers ‘By The Way’ on double disk vinyl remastered 180 gram and it sounds terrific – love it!

Played some more vinyl late at night, a few months ago local record shop was selling vinyl copy of ‘South Pacific’ soundtrack for a quid so I bought it. Why? Cos my Ma and Pa took me to see it when I was about 7 up London’s West End and it probably made an impression. Of course when I got older I derided it as crap but it’s difficult to shake off childhood memories.

I still think it’s kinda rubbish, not my thing at all but I did enjoy playing it, sheer nostalgia. ‘Bali Hai’ still moves me a little. And of course Captain Sensible covered ‘Happy Talk’ so it must be quite ok.

One thing I did notice listening to South Pacific was that the word ‘Gay’ was used a lot in the song lyrics and this being the late fifties the word did not imply same sex nookie but rather oneself being jolly happy.

Must confess I mourn the loss of the word ‘Gay’ as I think it was a good word.

Let me point out that I think everybody born into this world should be allowed to **** whoever they want to **** and no Government or bigot should take steps to stop them, we’re all subject to how we’re programmed at birth and the word here is tolerance, acceptance and wishing every couple happiness, whatever their gender preference.

However, the same sex community bloody well hijacked one of my favourite words. Ho hum. And what makes it sadder is that ignorant little pillocks now use the word ‘Gay’ as an insult as in ‘Oh, that’s so gay’. Bit sad, that. Oh well, that’s life I guess.

South Pacific has finished and I’m now playing some cheapo vinyl reggae album on the ‘Music For Pleasure’ label. Total tosh but I love it.

The GAME store are doing this offer, trade in an Xbox 360 120Gb Elite and get a 250Gb Xbox 360S plus one top game for 100. So I did. As newer Xbox has built in wifi I also traded in my wifi adaptor and ended up paying 75 for new matte black Xbox 250Gb and NFS: The Run Game. This means my 12 month warranty starts all over again as well. Good deal, me reckons.

I recently done a disco at a wedding, my niece Clare ‘married’ her partner Rachel, proper kind of ceremony and all, and all of their families attended except Rachel’s dad, who couldn’t handle it, he’s disowned his own daughter cos she’s a carpet muncher. Sad sad man.

My next Disco is New Year’s Eve, I am seriously getting too old for this, lol, but I do kinda enjoy it (sometimes).

Well, that’s me for now. Thank you, Crazylegs, for the Christmas card, you bastid, I never sent you one and now I feel bad but your card made me feel good so I hope that makes you feel good 

I don’t know where the future lies but I am still here and I guess that’s a bonus. Happy New year folks

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Crunchie Cat

26th Dec 2011
I hope your gammon joint was tasty... but the way some supermarkets label their "bargain deals" and "offers" offers is very naughty. As if folk have time to examine the small-print minutely! One just sees a big flashy label showing a super-dooper, knock-down price, and wey-hey, it's popped into the trolley with gay, reckless abandon (gay, in the fifties sense of the word.) Let's face it, those labels are intended to deceive.

We might dismiss some of those old Hollywood musicals as being a bit naff these days, but many of them contained some very good tunes, didn't they. There was a feel-good factor about them too.

Congrats to your neice and her partner on their marriage. Hope they will enjoy a long and happy life together. I entirely agree with your sentiments re gender preference. It's very sad when intolerant folk refuse to accept that we're not all wired in quite the same way. Good luck to them both.

Good luck also for your next disco gig on New Year's Eve.

Yorkshire Cruncher

26th Dec 2011
All the best, Flops.

Glad you enjoyed your day of relaxation. We had the immediate family round and that was a great day for us. My missus worked her socks off yesterday so today she gets a long lie in, lots of tea and books and papers and the rest of us do all the tidying up and cooking. She deserves it.

Might get out over the hills tomorrow if the weather's OK.

System Spec

Colossus 1943 Version 1.0

26th Dec 2011
Just popped in to say I still use the word gay in the old meaning, I am with you fops a great word for happy and jolly(having a gay old time) and NOT the modern meaning. Yes the way that stores love to miss price and confuse shoppers now is a practice where the shop keepers should be horse whipped.

4x4 Cruncher

26th Dec 2011
It it helps the M25 was closed & sat-nav was useless.
Ended up heading for LHR and the A4 80min journey took 120mins.
Oh and the shops are open if anyone has run out of food!!
Hope you had a good day MrFlopps.

sugar 'n spikes

26th Dec 2011
Thanks for the comments folks

My Corsair 2.1 speakers have just packed up on me, bought 'em in September from E-Buyer. I have DC volts from PSU, went to open up woofer with electronics inside to check for internal fuses only to be greeted with several stickers placed over screws saying their removal would void warranty. Oh well, looks like rma then.

Have had one rma with E-Buyer in the past, they were ok, but this is a heavy item to return, gonna cost me some postage for sure, so hope E-Buyer compensate postage. We shall see. So, on headphones for now.

Today I put my DAC (Digital to Analogue converter) together and it's working fine. The DAC goes in between my media computer and hifi and takes the digital signal from medium priced Asus motherboard and converts it to analogue.

Used the optical output, toslink cable to optical to coax converter (a tenner on Ebay) then single phono/rca cable from there to DAC. Twin phono output from DAC to audio system.

Here's the one I bought, cost almost 45 inc delivery and took a week to arrive, ordered 16th, arrived 23rd. >>> Link <<< This is basically the board with onboard smoothing from AC to DC and a suitable transformer.

With a case from Maplins, sockets and cable & Optical/Coax converter it came to around 70 which to my mind is very good value. This board and/or it's components is the same that is used in many 'high end' proprietry DAC's sold in a fancy box for a lot more money.

I will probably fly the onboard power indicator LED to the front of the case and fit a power switch and then I'll post a few pix.

I have been playing lots of FLAC files from my media machine and listened to part one of 'Echoes' from Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii film which is on my hard disk as an avi file and the DAC definitely makes an improvement. Initial observation was tighter bass and more detail.

I can also upgrade the board should I wish to, better capacitors and also change the opamp, an improvement may be the LME49860 opamp IC which costs around 7.50 from RS but before I start changing anything I'm going to give it the recommended 100 hours run-in.

Had one of those rare nights last night, slept 10 hours straight through, woke up 11:30 hours Don't like that but must admit I felt great when I woke, definitely recharged batteries.

And that will do for now, hope all is well with youse, have fun

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Member Extraordinaire

29th Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by floppybootstomp;

[QUOTE
All those toys that were bought by parents on a budget, probably about 80% will break in the first two hours of play and the gift’s child recipient will gain another lesson in life – that just because it came from Mum & Dad wrapped up real nice don’t mean to say it’s gonna be any good.

Mum & Dad (assuming, of course, this a family with straight parents who are still together) are probably not well off so bought cheap toys. Cheap toys break. Hey! Buy one quality toy rather than six pieces of crap, ok?

There’s nothing sadder than seeing discarded broken toys at the council dump site, so many broken dreams and promises, children should really be shielded from that for a while.
Agree entirely Flopp's!

Quote:
I spent Christmas Day largely by myself but Faye came home at 7pm having finished her work shift and we spoke a while. I favour Christmas by myself – luxury. I can do just whatever the hell I like and eat and drink whatever I fancy.
How I wish I had taken this advice..

Quote:
My dinner today. Tescos were selling these gammon joints, a large red label proclaimed ‘Half Price! 4.99’ and it was stuck on this huge monster joint of smoked meat. ‘I’ll have some of that’ thought I ‘Bargain’

Arriving home I looked at Tescos till receipt and found gammon joint had in fact cost 10.38. It was half price alright but looking at small print on label the price of 4.99 referred to ‘per kilo’. You bastids, sure fooled me.
Ha ha gotcha, that'l teach ya to look more closely....I have been caught with this one aswell..slippery little suckers aren't they!

Quote:
Let me point out that I think everybody born into this world should be allowed to **** whoever they want to **** and no Government or bigot should take steps to stop them, we’re all subject to how we’re programmed at birth and the word here is tolerance, acceptance and wishing every couple happiness, whatever their gender preference.
Used to say the same to certain friends who were gay, as long as they didn't come near my a**e I couldn't care less, and they were quite happy with that, and so was I

There I also used that word of yours

Quote:
The GAME store are doing this offer, trade in an Xbox 360 120Gb Elite and get a 250Gb Xbox 360S plus one top game for 100. So I did. As newer Xbox has built in wifi I also traded in my wifi adaptor and ended up paying 75 for new matte black Xbox 250Gb and NFS: The Run Game. This means my 12 month warranty starts all over again as well. Good deal, me reckons.
That sounds like a stonking deal mate...Get in!

Quote:
I recently done a disco at a wedding, my niece Clare ‘married’ her partner Rachel, proper kind of ceremony and all, and all of their families attended except Rachel’s dad, who couldn’t handle it, he’s disowned his own daughter cos she’s a carpet muncher. Sad sad man.
Mr Flopp's your acronyms are hilarious to say the least...I have not stopped laughing since last night everytime I think of it

Quote:
Well, that’s me for now. Thank you, Crazylegs, for the Christmas card, you bastid, I never sent you one and now I feel bad but your card made me feel good so I hope that makes you feel good 
Mr Flopp's I don't send cards to get one back, I felt good sending you one and I feel even better knowing you felt good receiving one, so yes it has made me feel extremely good...Does that make sense..

I don’t know where the future lies but I am still here and I guess that’s a bonus. Happy New year folks

A very enjoyable read as per usual, and a very happy new year to you Mr Flopp's!
Lets hope its a prosperous one too.

"Ironic, isn't it Smithers? This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you." -- Mr. Burns

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: