Floating Point

Kathleen Bell

      9th Jan 2006
Years ago I heard about the way Excel stores numbers. I wrote it off as
something accountants would never have to deal with since we weren't dealing
with high precision numbers. Well...

This past week I tried to upload a journal entry that had about 15K lines.
The computer rejected it as not balancing. In the ninth and tenth decimal
places there was a 15. We tried everything. It became a "class project".
We tried rounding up, rounding down, just plain rounding, truncating. We
copied as values, copied as text and then recopied as numbers. Finally we
found a website that talked about the floating point, something which
something that sort of came out of the recesses of my memory. There was no
other explanation.

I split the journal entry into three and somehow the new combination of
numbers got rid of the phantom number way out there and they went through.

JE McGimpsey

      9th Jan 2006
take a look here:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Kathleen Bell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Years ago I heard about the way Excel stores numbers. I wrote it off as
> something accountants would never have to deal with since we weren't dealing
> with high precision numbers. Well...
>
> This past week I tried to upload a journal entry that had about 15K lines.
> The computer rejected it as not balancing. In the ninth and tenth decimal
> places there was a 15. We tried everything. It became a "class project".
> We tried rounding up, rounding down, just plain rounding, truncating. We
> copied as values, copied as text and then recopied as numbers. Finally we
> found a website that talked about the floating point, something which
> something that sort of came out of the recesses of my memory. There was no
> other explanation.
>
> I split the journal entry into three and somehow the new combination of
> numbers got rid of the phantom number way out there and they went through.

=?Utf-8?B?am9ldTIwMDRAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=?=

      10th Jan 2006
"Kathleen Bell" wrote:
> Finally we found a website that talked about the
> floating point, something which something that sort
> of came out of the recesses of my memory. There
> was no other explanation.
>
> I split the journal entry into three and somehow the
> new combination of numbers got rid of the phantom
> number way out there and they went through.

Do you have a question? Perhaps it would help to read
the following KB articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214118/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/78113/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/57298/en-us