Fix Excel 2003 to not truncate text in cells

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbC1S?=

      21st Apr 2005
Excel 2003 SP1 randomly truncates text in cells on the screen display. Print
preview shows all the text in the cell. All cells in a sheet are set to
automatically wrap text and the rows are set to automatically scale to
display all text. Text is justified at the top of the cell. Most of the
time all text is displayed, but sometimes the final line is not displayed.
This line is a partial line, usually only one word. Manually adjusting the
row height will make the line appear, but then formating the Row to AutoFit
causes the partial line of text to disappear again. Resetting the cell
format for the entire sheet or for that cell only, sometimes causes the text
to be displayed. This is not a consistent fix.

Rob Bovey

      21st Apr 2005
Hi Bill,

Print preview shows how the contents of your worksheet will be rendered
by your printer driver. It's not uncommon for print preview to show
significant visual differences when compared to how Excel renders things on
the screen. One of the most common situations where this shows up is in
cells with lots of wrapped text. Also, in all versions of Excel, the more
wrapped text you have in cells, the worse Excel's autofit feature seems to
work. I'm not aware of any fix for this.

--
Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

* Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
* Professional Excel Development
http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

"Bill-R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Excel 2003 SP1 randomly truncates text in cells on the screen display.
> Print
> preview shows all the text in the cell. All cells in a sheet are set to
> automatically wrap text and the rows are set to automatically scale to
> display all text. Text is justified at the top of the cell. Most of the
> time all text is displayed, but sometimes the final line is not displayed.
> This line is a partial line, usually only one word. Manually adjusting
> the
> row height will make the line appear, but then formating the Row to
> AutoFit
> causes the partial line of text to disappear again. Resetting the cell
> format for the entire sheet or for that cell only, sometimes causes the
> text
> to be displayed. This is not a consistent fix.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbC1S?=

      22nd Apr 2005
I can replicate this bug. It only occurs when there is only one word left on
the last line in the display for that cell. If I leave a space and type one
letter then the line will be displayed in the cell. This should be easy for
a programmer to fix.

"Bill-R" wrote:

> Excel 2003 SP1 randomly truncates text in cells on the screen display. Print
> preview shows all the text in the cell. All cells in a sheet are set to
> automatically wrap text and the rows are set to automatically scale to
> display all text. Text is justified at the top of the cell. Most of the
> time all text is displayed, but sometimes the final line is not displayed.
> This line is a partial line, usually only one word. Manually adjusting the
> row height will make the line appear, but then formating the Row to AutoFit
> causes the partial line of text to disappear again. Resetting the cell
> format for the entire sheet or for that cell only, sometimes causes the text
> to be displayed. This is not a consistent fix.

Rob Bovey

      22nd Apr 2005
Hi Bill,

I've seen word wrap imprecision vary from two rows too few to two rows
too many, with the only common factor being a lot of word wrapped text in a
cell. I'm sure there are probably specific, reproducible cases, but this is
a general problem in all versions of Excel.

I don't know enough about the underlying mechanics of Excel to say how
easy it would be for Microsoft to fix it, but from a VBA perspective this
would be a very difficult problem to solve (except maybe for some very
tightly constrained cases). The big road block is that there isn't any
simple way to determine the number of lines in a word wrapped cell, so there
isn't any simple way to determine what the row height should be.