Fix broken ICMP?

Andrew

      2nd Oct 2009
I have a windows 2000 server which I am unable to ping (in or out) and also
unable to browse (as in over the network) and netlogon is also failing.
However then server can get to web sites etc? So it's like it's a broken
ICMP or something?
There is no firewall installed and the machine was recently infected by a
virus.
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Ace Fekay [MCT]

      2nd Oct 2009

>I have a windows 2000 server which I am unable to ping (in or out) and also
> unable to browse (as in over the network) and netlogon is also failing.
> However then server can get to web sites etc? So it's like it's a broken
> ICMP or something?
> There is no firewall installed and the machine was recently infected by a
> virus.
> Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Recently infected? I assumed you have eliminated the virus. However, the
problem with previously a infected machines, is that it may have corrupted
necessary networking files. The best solution for any previously infected
machine is to copy all data to another location, and simply rebuild the
machine with a fresh install and opting to format the drive during the
installation.

If this is a DC, (and it sounds like it based on mentioning the netlogon
service failed), I hope you have a replica DC in the domain.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that is what is recommended.
Otherwise, you may be spending time to try to fix it, where a reinstall may
take less time, and you have a clean new build.

If this is the only DC, or worse, you have Exchange installed on the DC, and
it's your only machine (such a scenario is highly not recommended, of
course), from what your are saying that network functions are failing and
causing a snowball effect on other functions, and no specifics have been
provided such as Event Log errors you are seeing, etc, my best guess, and
once again based on what you posted, is to try to reinstall TCP on it. The
worse that can happen is it doesn't fix it, but you'll at least have a clean
TCP/IP implementation installed.

Read the following articles for more specifics.

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)Because TCP/IP is a core component of
Windows, you cannot remove it. However, you can reset TCP/IP to its original
state by using the NetShell utility ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

How to remove and reinstall TCP/IP for Windows 2000This article describes
how to remove and reinstall TCP/IP on a Windows 2000-based computer. You may
want to remove and reinstall TCP/IP to help resolve the ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285034

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS 2008, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA
Messaging
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.