first virus detected

=?Utf-8?B?cm9uIGg=?=

      1st Jan 2006
Found a new icon on my desktop today which started a scan right away. Having
MSAS- AVG FREE- SPYWAREBLASTER- AD-AWARE- CCLEANER I didn't install this
program and havn't had a single problem with this set-up i use (100+scans
with msas). Stopped scan, add/remove to remove UNSPY PC went to search and
deleted everything from unspy pc, went to ccleaner and it was disabled,
switched users and ccleaner was completely gone from my brothers side of the
computer. Did a full deep folder scan with msas and it found three virus's,
during the scan AVG opened a window to tell me of the virus. Found was trojan
horse downloader agent SH - t horse clicker FR - t horse generic L ZZ
(AO115512.EXE, AO115514.EXE, SYSTEM 32\IDEMLOG.EXE) I've never had any
problems with the security i use, and would like to hear what really happened
here, all suggestions. thanks Ron

Bill Sanderson

      2nd Jan 2006
There's a pretty good chance that you've been hit by the current unpatched
vulnerability in Microsoft Windows. See discussion here:
1) microsoft's advisory

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/912840.mspx

2) discussion, and leads to an unofficial (but safe and effective, I
believe) patch:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?compare=1&storyid=999

You can get this quite easily by just choosing the wrong link after a
search, for example.
--

"ron h" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Found a new icon on my desktop today which started a scan right away.
> Having
> MSAS- AVG FREE- SPYWAREBLASTER- AD-AWARE- CCLEANER I didn't install this
> program and havn't had a single problem with this set-up i use (100+scans
> with msas). Stopped scan, add/remove to remove UNSPY PC went to search and
> deleted everything from unspy pc, went to ccleaner and it was disabled,
> switched users and ccleaner was completely gone from my brothers side of
> the
> computer. Did a full deep folder scan with msas and it found three
> virus's,
> during the scan AVG opened a window to tell me of the virus. Found was
> trojan
> horse downloader agent SH - t horse clicker FR - t horse generic L ZZ
> (AO115512.EXE, AO115514.EXE, SYSTEM 32\IDEMLOG.EXE) I've never had any
> problems with the security i use, and would like to hear what really
> happened
> here, all suggestions. thanks Ron

Bill Sanderson

      2nd Jan 2006
Let me argue with myself: You say that you've got Microsoft Antispyware
with real-time protection running, and also AVG, presumably up to date?

These two together should actually do a pretty good job of warning you if
you get hit by the current unpatched vulnerability--at least in the ways it
is presently being exploited.

How about your Java version?

--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...