When will the first "10 GHz" cpu be made available to the end user?

Mitch Crane

      20th Jan 2005
Debbie the Dogged <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns95E3A69F6E3E5616F6E656174776F6174@130.133.1.4>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> "TripleEight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > Everyone take a gamble!
>> >
>> > I say in 2007 January.

>> Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be
>> the size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power
>> input. Hard drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices
>> and we will drive flying cars.

> You forgot: programs will know in advance when you want to run them
> and the results will be waiting for you whenever you sit down at your
> computer. In fact, they'll be so fast that they finish before they
> start.

Damn! Gaming's gonna suck in the 21st century!

>> Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco will still be dead.

> LOL!
>
> (First post here, proud owner of an HP Pavilion a850e with an Athlon
> 64 3400+, and somewhat wishing I'd read this newgroup before I
> ordered, but happy with my new machine, "Speedy", anyway, especially
> in comparison to the P2 400MHz it replaced).

Nice upgrade. That's the upside of not upgrading every year or two. You
can actually feel the difference.

Dracir Venostos

      20th Jan 2005

"Mitch Crane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "TripleEight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Everyone take a gamble!
>>
>> I say in 2007 January.

> Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
> size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
> drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and

> we will drive flying cars.

Now that would be a nightmare, given that a fair percentage of people can't
drive on land, let alone in the air. It'll never happen.

DougH

      20th Jan 2005
> > we will drive flying cars.
>
> Now that would be a nightmare, given that a fair percentage of people

can't
> drive on land, let alone in the air. It'll never happen.

I can see it happening. It will just be a special license qualification
like they have for a bus or an 18 wheeler. There will be those duffasses
that have to remain on land and then there will be us flying high above the
traffic jam.

DougH

Ed Koan

      20th Jan 2005
Carlo Razzeto wrote:

> Quantum Computers are the wave of the future

Yes. In SF b-movies.

Roy Coorne

      20th Jan 2005
Susan Sontag in Hell wrote:
> Next Tuesday.

At 6:00 p.m. GMT

Carlo Razzeto

      21st Jan 2005
"Ed Koan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>>
>> Quantum Computers are the wave of the future

> Yes. In SF b-movies.

Carlo Razzeto

      21st Jan 2005

"Ed Koan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>>
>> Quantum Computers are the wave of the future

> Yes. In SF b-movies.

You are way off... You have no idea!

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/st/quantu...tion/qcom/nmr/

Carlo

Jerry McBride

      21st Jan 2005
Wes Newell wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:14:25 +0000, TripleEight wrote:
>
>> Everyone take a gamble!
>>
>> I say in 2007 January.

> I'l say 2010, but I really think it'll be a lot longer than that. Wonder
> why both amd an iintel are working on dual core cpu's.:-)

Right you are Wes. That's where it will be. Instead of faster and faster
clocks, it'll b more and more cpus' per chip. I wouldn't be surprised if
you begin to see "on chip system memory".

Registered Linux User Number 185956
FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
11:24pm up 103 days, 7:10, 8 users, load average: 0.10, 0.14, 0.09

Ed Koan

      21st Jan 2005
Carlo Razzeto wrote:
> "Ed Koan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>>
>>>Quantum Computers are the wave of the future

>>Yes. In SF b-movies.

> You are way off... You have no idea!

You don't have the sligthest notion of the real problems associated to
this pseudoscienze.

Come back when you'll store 1kqubit in real atoms.
Yes, somewhere around 3420...

Lachoneus

      22nd Jan 2005
> Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
> size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
> drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and we will drive
> flying cars.

We'll also have to "activate" our eyeballs in order to see the picture
on our 2000" TV screens. You know, to prevent freeloaders with
telescopes from pirating the signal.