firewall vs. remote desktop

BigAl

      28th Mar 2004
Hello,
I am using MS Windows 2000 Server, service pack 4
server is not a domain controller. it is running DHCP
I am using a soho firewall and all of the XP machines behind it are dynamic
IP's.
I was recently forced to change my IP and in doing so, can no longer access
machines on the network via remote desktop- very iportant to our business.
tried everything, no service packs updated on the machines during this time
and simply cannot get connected to any of the machines, no matter what.
A solution would be great,but if anyone can atr least point me int he
direction, that would be great and very appreciated.
Thanks you
Alan

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      28th Mar 2004

"BigAl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NcB9c.7198$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I am using MS Windows 2000 Server, service pack 4
> server is not a domain controller. it is running DHCP
> I am using a soho firewall and all of the XP machines behind it are

dynamic
> IP's.
> I was recently forced to change my IP and in doing so, can no longer

access
> machines on the network via remote desktop- very iportant to our business.
> tried everything, no service packs updated on the machines during this

time
> and simply cannot get connected to any of the machines, no matter what.
> A solution would be great,but if anyone can atr least point me int he
> direction, that would be great and very appreciated.
> Thanks you
> Alan

- Can you ping the remote machine?
- Have you opened port 3389 on the firewall? Directed it to the remote
machine?

Steven L Umbach

      28th Mar 2004
Changed your IP where?? If it was changed at the end where the target network is then
you have to update the dns record with the new public IP address if you are trying to
connect by name or else try entering the new IP address in your Remote Access client.
If the public IP address was changed on the end where you are using the Remote Access
client, then your soho firewall on the other end may need to be updated as to what IP
address it accepts port 3389 traffic from. --- Steve