firewall protection threw windows

=?Utf-8?B?QW15?=

      16th Nov 2005
i want to turn it back on but it wont let me...help me asap....thanks

Steven L Umbach

      16th Nov 2005
What exactly happens?? Use services.msc in the run box to make sure the
Windows firewall service is set to startup type of automatic and started.
You also need to scan your computer for viruses using your antivirus program
with the latest virus definitions downloaded from your anti virus program
publishers website as some viruses will disable the Windows Firewall. The
links below may be helpful on how to do the basics to secure your computer
and deal with viruses. If you have high speed internet access and NO
firewall protection since your Windows Firewall can not be started you could
have multiple virus infections by now. Any user that has high speed internet
access should also have a hardware device such as an internet router
protecting their network. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...2/Default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

"Amy" <Amy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i want to turn it back on but it wont let me...help me asap....thanks

Vanguard

      16th Nov 2005
"Amy" <Amy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i want to turn it back on but it wont let me...help me asap....thanks

Maybe you "tweaked" your system afterward that prevents the firewall from
starting, like configuring the Windows Firewall/ICS service to disabled, or
configuring the Application Layer Gateway (alg.exe) to disabled which is
used by the Windows Firewall/ICS.

So, how do YOU know that it won't let you turn it back on? Obviously
something happens to lead you to that conclusion. Just where are you trying
to turn it back on?

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGggTGFuZ2xleQ==?=

      16th Nov 2005
I've had a similar problem - When trying to turn the Windows XP Firewwall on
the message that appears is -
"Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
Connection Sharing(ICS) Service?"

Any ideas on this?

Keith

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> What exactly happens?? Use services.msc in the run box to make sure the
> Windows firewall service is set to startup type of automatic and started.
> You also need to scan your computer for viruses using your antivirus program
> with the latest virus definitions downloaded from your anti virus program
> publishers website as some viruses will disable the Windows Firewall. The
> links below may be helpful on how to do the basics to secure your computer
> and deal with viruses. If you have high speed internet access and NO
> firewall protection since your Windows Firewall can not be started you could
> have multiple virus infections by now. Any user that has high speed internet
> access should also have a hardware device such as an internet router
> protecting their network. --- Steve
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...2/Default.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx
>
> "Amy" <Amy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >i want to turn it back on but it wont let me...help me asap....thanks

Steven L Umbach

      17th Nov 2005
Did you try to start the service and set the startup type to automatic? You
would need to be logged on as a local administrator to do such. --- Steve

"Keith Langley" <Keith http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've had a similar problem - When trying to turn the Windows XP Firewwall
> on
> the message that appears is -
> "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
> service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
> Connection Sharing(ICS) Service?"
>
> Any ideas on this?
>
> Keith
>
> "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
>
>> What exactly happens?? Use services.msc in the run box to make sure the
>> Windows firewall service is set to startup type of automatic and started.
>> You also need to scan your computer for viruses using your antivirus
>> program
>> with the latest virus definitions downloaded from your anti virus program
>> publishers website as some viruses will disable the Windows Firewall. The
>> links below may be helpful on how to do the basics to secure your
>> computer
>> and deal with viruses. If you have high speed internet access and NO
>> firewall protection since your Windows Firewall can not be started you
>> could
>> have multiple virus infections by now. Any user that has high speed
>> internet
>> access should also have a hardware device such as an internet router
>> protecting their network. --- Steve
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...2/Default.mspx
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx
>>
>> "Amy" <Amy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >i want to turn it back on but it wont let me...help me asap....thanks

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGggTGFuZ2xleQ==?=

      17th Nov 2005

Yes - I tried to start the service but then another message appears "Windows
cannot start the Windows/Firewall Internet connection service"

Is there anything other that I need to try?

I have used the Windows automatic facility which didn't work but then
recommended I do it manually as above which is not working out.

Keith

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> Did you try to start the service and set the startup type to automatic? You
> would need to be logged on as a local administrator to do such. --- Steve
>

> "Keith Langley" <Keith (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've had a similar problem - When trying to turn the Windows XP Firewwall
> > on
> > the message that appears is -
> > "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
> > service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
> > Connection Sharing(ICS) Service?"
> >
> > Any ideas on this?
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
> >
> >> What exactly happens?? Use services.msc in the run box to make sure the
> >> Windows firewall service is set to startup type of automatic and started.
> >> You also need to scan your computer for viruses using your antivirus
> >> program
> >> with the latest virus definitions downloaded from your anti virus program
> >> publishers website as some viruses will disable the Windows Firewall. The
> >> links below may be helpful on how to do the basics to secure your
> >> computer
> >> and deal with viruses. If you have high speed internet access and NO
> >> firewall protection since your Windows Firewall can not be started you
> >> could
> >> have multiple virus infections by now. Any user that has high speed
> >> internet
> >> access should also have a hardware device such as an internet router
> >> protecting their network. --- Steve
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...2/Default.mspx
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx
> >>
> >> "Amy" <Amy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Notan

      17th Nov 2005
Keith Langley wrote:

> Yes - I tried to start the service but then another message appears "Windows
> cannot start the Windows/Firewall Internet connection service"
>
> <snip>

By chance, are you currently running another firewall program?

Notan

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGggTGFuZ2xleQ==?=

      17th Nov 2005
I've run services.msc and tried to start the Firewall ICS. I'm getting the
message "Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Service
sharing(ICS)Service on local computer - Error 10047 An address incompatible
with the requested protocol was used".

Keith

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> Did you try to start the service and set the startup type to automatic? You
> would need to be logged on as a local administrator to do such. --- Steve
>

> "Keith Langley" <Keith (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've had a similar problem - When trying to turn the Windows XP Firewwall
> > on
> > the message that appears is -
> > "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
> > service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
> > Connection Sharing(ICS) Service?"
> >
> > Any ideas on this?
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
> >
> >> What exactly happens?? Use services.msc in the run box to make sure the
> >> Windows firewall service is set to startup type of automatic and started.
> >> You also need to scan your computer for viruses using your antivirus
> >> program
> >> with the latest virus definitions downloaded from your anti virus program
> >> publishers website as some viruses will disable the Windows Firewall. The
> >> links below may be helpful on how to do the basics to secure your
> >> computer
> >> and deal with viruses. If you have high speed internet access and NO
> >> firewall protection since your Windows Firewall can not be started you
> >> could
> >> have multiple virus infections by now. Any user that has high speed
> >> internet
> >> access should also have a hardware device such as an internet router
> >> protecting their network. --- Steve
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...2/Default.mspx
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx
> >>
> >> "Amy" <Amy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGggTGFuZ2xleQ==?=

      17th Nov 2005
I'm not running another program as I've always relied on the Windows XP
Firewall.
I also have Microsoft Antispyware Beta operating.

Do you think it's looking likely my PC's been intercepted and the setting
has been changed?

Keith

> Keith Langley wrote:
> >
> > Yes - I tried to start the service but then another message appears "Windows
> > cannot start the Windows/Firewall Internet connection service"
> >
> > <snip>

> By chance, are you currently running another firewall program?
>
> Notan

Steven L Umbach

      17th Nov 2005
That might be a winsock problem that can be cause by spyware or their
removal. If you are running XP Pro try running the support tool netdiag to
see if it reports any problems with winsock. Even if it does not try to
reset winsock using the following command netsh winsock reset if you are
using SP2. If you are not using SP2 then try using other methods as
described in the link below or use a program that attempts to fix winsock
such as lspfix. If that does not help try resetting tcp/ip that may change
your tcp/ip configuration particularly if you are using static tcp/ip
configuration. Use the command netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt. If that
does not work I would suggest trying to do a System Restore from a restore
point that exists before this all happened. If that doe not work or is not
possible I would try an upgrade/repair install that would require you to
first install your service pack if needed when done and then all the
critical security updates from Windows Updates. An upgrade/repair install
should preserve your data and applications just be sure you do NOT select
any option to format the drive and best practice is to always have backups
of your important data to external media such as cd/DVD at all times. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm --- lspfix
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;299357 --- use