Finding which user is logged onto what workstation??

tnye@hycite.com

      14th Apr 2004
I am looking to find out on a 2000 Network an easy way to
identify who is logged onto what PC at a given time.. Im
sure you can do it, just not sure how to go about it.

Any light you could shed would be helpful!

Thanks.

Steve Parry [MVP]

      14th Apr 2004
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am looking to find out on a 2000 Network an easy way to
> identify who is logged onto what PC at a given time.. Im
> sure you can do it, just not sure how to go about it.
>
> Any light you could shed would be helpful!
>
> Thanks.

CMD prompt
type

nbtstat -a machine_name
or
nbtstat -a ip_address

will report back with the machine name
the workgroup/domain

and the currently logged in user

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Steve Nielsen

      15th Apr 2004
You can use Angry IP scanner ((E-Mail Removed)) and scan the
entire subnet with it configured to fetch IP address, Hostname,
Computername, Groupname, Username and MAC address. As long as everyone
is on the same side of the router it will return them all. Depending on
router filtering it may return them all across routers as well.

Steve

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Thanks Steve!!
>
> Any way I can put in a user ID and find out a machine name??

      15th Apr 2004
Invest in SMS

http://www.microsoft.com/smserver

Steve Nielsen

      15th Apr 2004
You are welcome. Another good tool is NMapWin (port scanner with some
extra capabilities like showing OS and username) from:

http://www.insecure.org

But it can only do one IP at a time.

Steve