Finding computers on my network.

Ian

      4th Jun 2004
Hello, the problem I have is seeing other computers on my network.
After booting up I can initially see them but after a while they
disappear. I am running Windows 2000. Netbios is enabled over TCP and
I can still ping the other machines but they just don't appear under
computers near me

Thanks in advance for any help

Steven L Umbach

      4th Jun 2004
You don't give much description of your network, but it sounds like your master
browser is multihomed [which it should not be] or you are having frequent browser
elections. The master browser is typically the domain controller pdc fsmo in a domain
and can be different computers in a workgroup generally based on the operating system
the computer is running with newer and server operating systems usually having
priority. You can look in the wins database if used to see is the master browser or
run nbtstat -n on a computer. If you think you know who is the master browser, look
in the Event Viewer to see if there are frequent elections. XP Pro computers on a
network can sometimes cause problems in which case it may help to disable the
computer browser service on those computers. The link below may be helpful. ---
Steve

news:(E-Mail Removed)...