How to find %SystemRoot%\System32 folder

Bill

      30th May 2008
In Appendix B: Working with the Command Prompt of Microsoft Press' Windows
Vista Inside Out, one option to start the Command Prompt is "Double-click the
Cmd icon in your %SystemRoot%\System 32 folder."

How do I find this folder? Thanks.

Bill

Mark L. Ferguson

      30th May 2008
Click start, and type :
%systemroot%/system32
and hit enter.

--
click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm see ''rate a post''

> In Appendix B: Working with the Command Prompt of Microsoft Press' Windows
> Vista Inside Out, one option to start the Command Prompt is "Double-click
> the
> Cmd icon in your %SystemRoot%\System 32 folder."
>
> How do I find this folder? Thanks.
>
> Bill

Bill

      30th May 2008
Hmmm. really simple. thanks.

Bill

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Click start, and type :
> %systemroot%/system32
> and hit enter.
>
> --
> click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web interface.
> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm see ''rate a post''
> Mark L. Ferguson
>
> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In Appendix B: Working with the Command Prompt of Microsoft Press' Windows
> > Vista Inside Out, one option to start the Command Prompt is "Double-click
> > the
> > Cmd icon in your %SystemRoot%\System 32 folder."
> >
> > How do I find this folder? Thanks.
> >
> > Bill

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      30th May 2008
Related Info:

Recognized Environment Variables:

Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Click start, and type :
> %systemroot%/system32
> and hit enter.
>
> --
> click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web interface.
> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm see ''rate a post''
> Mark L. Ferguson
>
> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In Appendix B: Working with the Command Prompt of Microsoft Press' Windows
> > Vista Inside Out, one option to start the Command Prompt is "Double-click
> > the
> > Cmd icon in your %SystemRoot%\System 32 folder."
> >
> > How do I find this folder? Thanks.
> >
> > Bill

Mark L. Ferguson

      30th May 2008
Yes, I've always wondered why %systemroot% is actually %windir%, whereas
%systemdrive% is the one that %systemroot% CLAIMS to be (the root (C:/) of
the drive windows is on). I suppose it's a simple documentation error.

--

Mark L. Ferguson

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Related Info:
>
> Recognized Environment Variables:
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
>
> --
> Regards,

> The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
> Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmm. really simple. thanks.
>
> Bill
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Click start, and type :
>> %systemroot%/system32
>> and hit enter.
>>
>> --
>> click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web interface.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm see ''rate a
>> post''
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>>
>> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > In Appendix B: Working with the Command Prompt of Microsoft Press'
>> > Windows
>> > Vista Inside Out, one option to start the Command Prompt is
>> > "Double-click
>> > the
>> > Cmd icon in your %SystemRoot%\System 32 folder."
>> >
>> > How do I find this folder? Thanks.
>> >
>> > Bill

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      30th May 2008
Perhaps they meant System32's root (parent folder), which is C:\Windows?

--

"Mark L. Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Yes, I've always wondered why %systemroot% is actually %windir%, whereas
%systemdrive% is the one that %systemroot% CLAIMS to be (the root (C:/) of
the drive windows is on). I suppose it's a simple documentation error.

--

Mark L. Ferguson

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Related Info:
>
> Recognized Environment Variables:
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
>
> --
> Regards,

> The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
> Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmm. really simple. thanks.
>
> Bill
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Click start, and type :
>> %systemroot%/system32
>> and hit enter.
>>
>> --
>> click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web interface.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm see ''rate a
>> post''
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>>
>> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > In Appendix B: Working with the Command Prompt of Microsoft Press'
>> > Windows
>> > Vista Inside Out, one option to start the Command Prompt is
>> > "Double-click
>> > the
>> > Cmd icon in your %SystemRoot%\System 32 folder."
>> >
>> > How do I find this folder? Thanks.
>> >
>> > Bill

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      30th May 2008
From the Technet link:
- - -
SYSTEMROOT
- Refers to the root of the system drive.

- - -

Ah.. yes. Seems to be a documentation error!