how to find product key on cd

dmac

      31st May 2004
this may be old news to some, but its new to me. I have tested this on 5
windows disks (ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Server 2003 Standard and Enterprise) and
was able to find the key on all of them. I just searched the disk for .txt
files and every one of them had an unattend.txt setup text file with the
key # in it. just make sure you search hidden folder and files.

--
-----------------------
dmac

NoNoBadDog!

      31st May 2004
That is simply an admin setup key...just try to register online with that
key and see how far you get. The discs are mass produced by a disc
replicator...do you honestly believe each disc is unique and has a unique
key?????
For clarification...the key in the unattended setup file is a key that will
allow a network install on a network in which a valid volume license is
applicable. On a stand alone machine, that number would be invalid when one
tried to activate via the internet.

Bobby'
"dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this may be old news to some, but its new to me. I have tested this on 5
> windows disks (ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Server 2003 Standard and Enterprise)
> and
> was able to find the key on all of them. I just searched the disk for .txt
> files and every one of them had an unattend.txt setup text file with the
> key # in it. just make sure you search hidden folder and files.
>
> --
> -----------------------
> dmac
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove 1 to mail
> Ati 9800pro 256
> P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
> twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

dmac

      31st May 2004
the numbers worked on xp pro, server 2003 standard and enterprise. they also
matched the key that is on the cd case.

--
-----------------------
dmac

"NoNoBadDog!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is simply an admin setup key...just try to register online with that
> key and see how far you get. The discs are mass produced by a disc
> replicator...do you honestly believe each disc is unique and has a unique
> key?????
> For clarification...the key in the unattended setup file is a key that

will
> allow a network install on a network in which a valid volume license is
> applicable. On a stand alone machine, that number would be invalid when

one
> tried to activate via the internet.
>
> Bobby'
> "dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > this may be old news to some, but its new to me. I have tested this on 5
> > windows disks (ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Server 2003 Standard and Enterprise)
> > and
> > was able to find the key on all of them. I just searched the disk for

..txt
> > files and every one of them had an unattend.txt setup text file with

the
> > key # in it. just make sure you search hidden folder and files.
> >
> > --
> > -----------------------
> > dmac
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> > remove 1 to mail
> > Ati 9800pro 256
> > P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
> > twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

hawk

      31st May 2004
I just checked my WinXP Home CD and the Product Key in the
unattend.txt file is NOT the Product Key on the COA.

Regards, hawk

dmac wrote:

> the numbers worked on xp pro, server 2003 standard and enterprise. they also
> matched the key that is on the cd case.

NoNoBadDog!

      31st May 2004
You are, to put it simply, WRONG!

Bobby

"dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the numbers worked on xp pro, server 2003 standard and enterprise. they
> also
> matched the key that is on the cd case.
>
> --
> -----------------------
> dmac
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove 1 to mail
> Ati 9800pro 256
> P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
> twin seagate 120 sata raid 0
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That is simply an admin setup key...just try to register online with that
>> key and see how far you get. The discs are mass produced by a disc
>> replicator...do you honestly believe each disc is unique and has a unique
>> key?????
>> For clarification...the key in the unattended setup file is a key that

> will
>> allow a network install on a network in which a valid volume license is
>> applicable. On a stand alone machine, that number would be invalid when

> one
>> tried to activate via the internet.
>>
>> Bobby'
>> "dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > this may be old news to some, but its new to me. I have tested this on
>> > 5
>> > windows disks (ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Server 2003 Standard and
>> > Enterprise)
>> > and
>> > was able to find the key on all of them. I just searched the disk for

> .txt
>> > files and every one of them had an unattend.txt setup text file with

> the
>> > key # in it. just make sure you search hidden folder and files.
>> >
>> > --
>> > -----------------------
>> > dmac
>> > (E-Mail Removed)
>> > remove 1 to mail
>> > Ati 9800pro 256
>> > P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
>> > twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

NoNoBadDog!

      31st May 2004
Are you trying to tell the world that every Windows disk is unique? That a
unique key is embedded on each and every disk? If you believe that, then I
would like to talk to you offline about a bridge that I have for sale...

Bobby

"dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the numbers worked on xp pro, server 2003 standard and enterprise. they
> also
> matched the key that is on the cd case.
>
> --
> -----------------------
> dmac
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove 1 to mail
> Ati 9800pro 256
> P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
> twin seagate 120 sata raid 0
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That is simply an admin setup key...just try to register online with that
>> key and see how far you get. The discs are mass produced by a disc
>> replicator...do you honestly believe each disc is unique and has a unique
>> key?????
>> For clarification...the key in the unattended setup file is a key that

> will
>> allow a network install on a network in which a valid volume license is
>> applicable. On a stand alone machine, that number would be invalid when

> one
>> tried to activate via the internet.
>>
>> Bobby'
>> "dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > this may be old news to some, but its new to me. I have tested this on
>> > 5
>> > windows disks (ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Server 2003 Standard and
>> > Enterprise)
>> > and
>> > was able to find the key on all of them. I just searched the disk for

> .txt
>> > files and every one of them had an unattend.txt setup text file with

> the
>> > key # in it. just make sure you search hidden folder and files.
>> >
>> > --
>> > -----------------------
>> > dmac
>> > (E-Mail Removed)
>> > remove 1 to mail
>> > Ati 9800pro 256
>> > P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
>> > twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

      31st May 2004
You need to look again;
The CDs are not unique, however the Product Keys are.
A quick check here proved what was already known.

However there may be adifference if you have burned CDs or possible
Volume License CDs.
But that is not the case for retail CDs.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the numbers worked on xp pro, server 2003 standard and enterprise.

they also
> matched the key that is on the cd case.
>
> --
> -----------------------
> dmac
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove 1 to mail
> Ati 9800pro 256
> P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
> twin seagate 120 sata raid 0
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That is simply an admin setup key...just try to register online

with that
> > key and see how far you get. The discs are mass produced by a

disc
> > replicator...do you honestly believe each disc is unique and has a

unique
> > key?????
> > For clarification...the key in the unattended setup file is a key

that
> will
> > allow a network install on a network in which a valid volume

license is
> > applicable. On a stand alone machine, that number would be

invalid when
> one
> > tried to activate via the internet.
> >
> > Bobby'
> > "dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > this may be old news to some, but its new to me. I have tested

this on 5
> > > windows disks (ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Server 2003 Standard and

Enterprise)
> > > and
> > > was able to find the key on all of them. I just searched the

disk for
> .txt
> > > files and every one of them had an unattend.txt setup text file

with
> the
> > > key # in it. just make sure you search hidden folder and files.
> > >
> > > --
> > > -----------------------
> > > dmac
> > > (E-Mail Removed)
> > > remove 1 to mail
> > > Ati 9800pro 256
> > > P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
> > > twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

dmac

      31st May 2004
I am just saying what's on my disks. maybe because that were dell oem disks
that made a difference (xp home and pro) but I don't do.
so you are saying every xp disk uses the same key?

--
-----------------------
dmac
(E-Mail Removed)
remove 1 to mail
Ati 9800pro 256
P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

"NoNoBadDog!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you trying to tell the world that every Windows disk is unique? That

> unique key is embedded on each and every disk? If you believe that, then

> would like to talk to you offline about a bridge that I have for sale...
>
> Bobby
>
> "dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > the numbers worked on xp pro, server 2003 standard and enterprise. they
> > also
> > matched the key that is on the cd case.
> >
> > --
> > -----------------------
> > dmac
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> > remove 1 to mail
> > Ati 9800pro 256
> > P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
> > twin seagate 120 sata raid 0
> >

> > "NoNoBadDog!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> That is simply an admin setup key...just try to register online with

that
> >> key and see how far you get. The discs are mass produced by a disc
> >> replicator...do you honestly believe each disc is unique and has a

unique
> >> key?????
> >> For clarification...the key in the unattended setup file is a key that

> > will
> >> allow a network install on a network in which a valid volume license is
> >> applicable. On a stand alone machine, that number would be invalid

when
> > one
> >> tried to activate via the internet.
> >>
> >> Bobby'
> >> "dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

on

> > .txt

> > the

dmac

      31st May 2004
and no matter what, if you lose the case that # would work to allow install
then you can call and activate.
like I said, the #'s worked for me on activation 5 times w/o calling or a
license.

--
-----------------------
dmac
(E-Mail Removed)
remove 1 to mail
Ati 9800pro 256
P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

"NoNoBadDog!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you trying to tell the world that every Windows disk is unique? That

> unique key is embedded on each and every disk? If you believe that, then

> would like to talk to you offline about a bridge that I have for sale...
>
> Bobby
>
> "dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > the numbers worked on xp pro, server 2003 standard and enterprise. they
> > also
> > matched the key that is on the cd case.
> >
> > --
> > -----------------------
> > dmac
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> > remove 1 to mail
> > Ati 9800pro 256
> > P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
> > twin seagate 120 sata raid 0
> >

> > "NoNoBadDog!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> That is simply an admin setup key...just try to register online with

that
> >> key and see how far you get. The discs are mass produced by a disc
> >> replicator...do you honestly believe each disc is unique and has a

unique
> >> key?????
> >> For clarification...the key in the unattended setup file is a key that

> > will
> >> allow a network install on a network in which a valid volume license is
> >> applicable. On a stand alone machine, that number would be invalid

when
> > one
> >> tried to activate via the internet.
> >>
> >> Bobby'
> >> "dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

on

> > .txt

> > the

NoNoBadDog!

      31st May 2004
No, I am NOT saying every XP disk uses the same key. YOU are saying that
every XP disc uses the same key. Did you read my post about the unattended
net install option? The key on the disk and the key on the COA and sticker
DO NOT match. The number in the text file is a number that will allow an
unattended net install using volume licensing. It WILL NOT, and again I say
it WILL NOT serve as a key for a stand alone activation. You are wrong.
You cannot convince anyone otherwise, except perhaps yourself. I guess you
are just not man enough to admit that you were wrong.