How to find IP from MAC address?

=?Utf-8?B?dG9hbDU=?=

      23rd Apr 2007
I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
corresponding IP address for them.

How ????

Thanks in advance

Gerald Vogt

      23rd Apr 2007
toal5 wrote:
> I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
> corresponding IP address for them.
>
> How ????

It depends.

If you know the IP addresses in question you simply ping the IP
addresses and then check the arp cache with "arp -a".

If you have a router it may be able to protocol the IP/MAC address mappings.

If you have a DHCP server and all devices in question use DHCP the DHCP
server should have all mappings in the list of leases.

If you don't have any idea which IP addresses (as any device can use
several IP addresses on an interface) a specific MAC address may use you
are not able to find it out unless you are able to make the device send
some packets and the receiver of those packets or a router in the way
records it.

Gerald

=?Utf-8?B?dG9hbDU=?=

      23rd Apr 2007
All I have is the MAC address which are on our LAN so no routers are involved.
The devices could be static so I cant check any DHCP.
As far as getting the device to send some packets..... I dont know which
devices they are, thats why Im trying to get the IP addresses

Cheers

"Gerald Vogt" wrote:

> toal5 wrote:
> > I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
> > corresponding IP address for them.
> >
> > How ????

> It depends.
>
> If you know the IP addresses in question you simply ping the IP
> addresses and then check the arp cache with "arp -a".
>
> If you have a router it may be able to protocol the IP/MAC address mappings.
>
> If you have a DHCP server and all devices in question use DHCP the DHCP
> server should have all mappings in the list of leases.
>
> If you don't have any idea which IP addresses (as any device can use
> several IP addresses on an interface) a specific MAC address may use you
> are not able to find it out unless you are able to make the device send
> some packets and the receiver of those packets or a router in the way
> records it.
>
> Gerald

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

      23rd Apr 2007
This how to may help,

ipconfigHow to setup two IPs on a computer How to use MS DHCP to reserve an IP on MAC How to use TCP/IP without installing a NIC. How can I find a NIC MAC address? ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/ipconfig.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"toal5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
corresponding IP address for them.

How ????

Thanks in advance

=?Utf-8?B?dG9hbDU=?=

      23rd Apr 2007
Nope, already read it.
It tells you how to add static entries but thats about it.

Thanks though

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> This how to may help,
>
> ipconfigHow to setup two IPs on a computer How to use MS DHCP to reserve an IP on MAC How to use TCP/IP without installing a NIC. How can I find a NIC MAC address? ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/ipconfig.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "toal5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
> corresponding IP address for them.
>
> How ????
>
> Thanks in advance

=?Utf-8?B?dG9hbDU=?=

      23rd Apr 2007
Just ran both tools and neither has given me any MAC addesses????
So I can't tally them up with the IP and hostnames its found.

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:40:01 -0700, toal5 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
> >corresponding IP address for them.
> >
> >How ????
> >
> >Thanks in advance

> I use either Angry IP or SoftPerfect Network Scanner, both free and easy to
> install.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/knowing-whats-on-your-lan.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-your-lan.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

      23rd Apr 2007
wrote:

>I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
>corresponding IP address for them.
>
>How ????
>
>Thanks in advance

I use either Angry IP or SoftPerfect Network Scanner, both free and easy to
install.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/knowing-whats-on-your-lan.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-your-lan.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.

Sooner Al [MVP]

      23rd Apr 2007
"toal5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
> corresponding IP address for them.
>
> How ????
>
> Thanks in advance

FWIW department...

If your running Vista on at least one machine then the network map will show
IP and MAC addresses for local nodes...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...NetworkMap.jpg

For XP SP2 nodes you need to download and install the LLTD package...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Sooner Al [MVP]

      23rd Apr 2007
"Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "toal5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
>> corresponding IP address for them.
>>
>> How ????
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> FWIW department...
>
> If your running Vista on at least one machine then the network map will
> show IP and MAC addresses for local nodes...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...NetworkMap.jpg
>
> For XP SP2 nodes you need to download and install the LLTD package...

> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

I forgot to add the PC named 'norman' in the example network map is a XP Pro
SP2 machine. The other two are running Vista Ultimate (Ashtabula) and Vista
Home Basic (Miami). If you hover over a Vista machine the IPV6 address is
also displayed...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Chuck

      23rd Apr 2007
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:48:00 -0700, toal5 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:40:01 -0700, toal5 <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
>> >corresponding IP address for them.
>> >
>> >How ????
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance

>> I use either Angry IP or SoftPerfect Network Scanner, both free and easy to
>> install.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/knowing-whats-on-your-lan.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-your-lan.html

>Just ran both tools and neither has given me any MAC addesses????
>So I can't tally them up with the IP and hostnames its found.

In SPNS, go Options - Program Options - Additional tab. Check "Resolve host
names" and "Resolve MAC addresses".

Similar setting for the Angryziber product.