Files mysteriously deleted

Mrich

      9th Dec 2007
Hello,
Win 2000 sp4, Pent 3, 850mhz, 512mb ram. I have 2 drives, system drive C: is
a 40gb and storage drive D: is a 160mb.
Problem starts like this. The other day while recording some audio, I
noticed some sluggish, skipping action. Playing back that material was the
same.
I then opened a pre-recorded wave file and the computer play perfectly. So I
cleaned the D: drive by deleting some files, scanning for viruses, adware,
malware, etc.
Then I did a chkdsk which completed without errors and tried to run a disk
defrag. I received a message saying defrag could not be performed or
something to that effect. I did not search the MS Knowledge as I just shut
the computer down and went out. The next day I booted, ran defrag on disk D:
and noticed it finished very quickly and found out all of my files were
gone. I was only left with a temp folder and a chkdsk file. Luckly I back up
DVD.
My question is, what could have possibly happened to all my user files on
drive D: ?
I did not delete them. No virus was found when scanned. Nothing in recycle
bin.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
mrich

Dave Patrick

      9th Dec 2007
What happened when you restarted the pc was chkdsk ran and found broken
chains/ lost clusters, then created *.chk files of them so you can delete
them and regain the otherwise lost drive space. The disk drive may have
failed so I'd run the manufacturer's diagnostic tools on the disk.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mrich" wrote:
> Hello,
> Win 2000 sp4, Pent 3, 850mhz, 512mb ram. I have 2 drives, system drive C:
> is a 40gb and storage drive D: is a 160mb.
> Problem starts like this. The other day while recording some audio, I
> noticed some sluggish, skipping action. Playing back that material was the
> same.
> I then opened a pre-recorded wave file and the computer play perfectly. So
> I cleaned the D: drive by deleting some files, scanning for viruses,
> adware, malware, etc.
> Then I did a chkdsk which completed without errors and tried to run a disk
> defrag. I received a message saying defrag could not be performed or
> something to that effect. I did not search the MS Knowledge as I just shut
> the computer down and went out. The next day I booted, ran defrag on disk
> D: and noticed it finished very quickly and found out all of my files were
> gone. I was only left with a temp folder and a chkdsk file. Luckly I back
> up DVD.
> My question is, what could have possibly happened to all my user files on
> drive D: ?
> I did not delete them. No virus was found when scanned. Nothing in recycle
> bin.
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
> mrich

Mrich

      9th Dec 2007
Thanks Dave,
The *.chk file was only 9mb and I had over 60mb of files on the disk. So are
you saying this *.chk file was just fragments of the 60mb of files.
I"ll run the manfacturers diags on it. This disk is still under warranty so
I can probably get it replaced.
BTW, for anyone reading this following this thread, BACKUP your
data.......regularly. I'm glad I did.

"Dave Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What happened when you restarted the pc was chkdsk ran and found broken
> chains/ lost clusters, then created *.chk files of them so you can delete
> them and regain the otherwise lost drive space. The disk drive may have
> failed so I'd run the manufacturer's diagnostic tools on the disk.
>

> --
>
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Mrich" wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Win 2000 sp4, Pent 3, 850mhz, 512mb ram. I have 2 drives, system drive C:
>> is a 40gb and storage drive D: is a 160mb.
>> Problem starts like this. The other day while recording some audio, I
>> noticed some sluggish, skipping action. Playing back that material was
>> the same.
>> I then opened a pre-recorded wave file and the computer play perfectly.
>> So I cleaned the D: drive by deleting some files, scanning for viruses,
>> adware, malware, etc.
>> Then I did a chkdsk which completed without errors and tried to run a
>> disk defrag. I received a message saying defrag could not be performed or
>> something to that effect. I did not search the MS Knowledge as I just
>> shut the computer down and went out. The next day I booted, ran defrag on
>> disk D: and noticed it finished very quickly and found out all of my
>> files were gone. I was only left with a temp folder and a chkdsk file.
>> Luckly I back up DVD.
>> My question is, what could have possibly happened to all my user files on
>> drive D: ?
>> I did not delete them. No virus was found when scanned. Nothing in
>> recycle bin.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
>> mrich

Dave Patrick

      9th Dec 2007
Yes, the *.chk files are not really meant for any recovery. Just a means to
recover the lost space. Ditto on the backups.

--

"Mrich" wrote:
> Thanks Dave,
> The *.chk file was only 9mb and I had over 60mb of files on the disk. So
> are you saying this *.chk file was just fragments of the 60mb of files.
> I"ll run the manfacturers diags on it. This disk is still under warranty
> so I can probably get it replaced.
> BTW, for anyone reading this following this thread, BACKUP your
> data.......regularly. I'm glad I did.

Mrich

      10th Dec 2007
Now that was great advice and thats exactly what I'm gonna do. I did have
video and photos on that disk.
Much appreciated as I'm sure all who read this.
Mrich.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...