"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Talon_BR

      16th Nov 2003
I'm receiving the above error when trying to delete a file on a local hard
disk from a command prompt. I receive the error "Cannot delete file: Cannot
read from the source file or disk." when I try to delete the same file from
Windows XP. I cannot modify the file in any way, either (rename, mark as
read only, etc) VirusScan says it's clean (or can't read it and reports no
errors).

The file is named "?" (open square) in windows and a solid diamond in the
dos/command prompt. No extension in either place. Scandisk and chkdsk both
report no errors, and no combination of switches helps. None of the
Microsoft KB articles I've read apply to a workstation or simple file
operations, they're all about server errors and whatnot. I've exhausted all
the options I can find. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get rid of
this file (aside from fdisk/formatting) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

davetest

      16th Nov 2003
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:29:04 -0700, "Talon_BR" <hotmail@talon_br.com>
wrote:

>I'm receiving the above error when trying to delete a file on a local hard
>disk from a command prompt. I receive the error "Cannot delete file: Cannot
>read from the source file or disk." when I try to delete the same file from
>Windows XP. I cannot modify the file in any way, either (rename, mark as
>read only, etc) VirusScan says it's clean (or can't read it and reports no
>errors).
>
>The file is named "?" (open square) in windows and a solid diamond in the
>dos/command prompt. No extension in either place. Scandisk and chkdsk both
>report no errors, and no combination of switches helps. None of the
>Microsoft KB articles I've read apply to a workstation or simple file
>operations, they're all about server errors and whatnot. I've exhausted all
>the options I can find. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get rid of
>this file (aside from fdisk/formatting) I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thanks!

Will the system allow you to move or copy this file?
create a dummy folder. Use the right mouse click and drag the
bad file to the new folder (move operation).
Then delete the folder.

Dave

Talon_BR

      16th Nov 2003
> Will the system allow you to move or copy this file?
> create a dummy folder. Use the right mouse click and drag the
> bad file to the new folder (move operation).
> Then delete the folder.
>
> Dave

I can move folder the file s in. I cannot copy or move the file itself. I
cannot delete the file/folder once I put it in the dummy folder. Good
thought, thanks. Still no go, though.

Dave - Talon

davetest

      16th Nov 2003
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:32:37 -0700, "Talon_BR" <hotmail@talon_br.com>
wrote:

>> Will the system allow you to move or copy this file?
>> create a dummy folder. Use the right mouse click and drag the
>> bad file to the new folder (move operation).
>> Then delete the folder.
>>
>> Dave

>I can move folder the file s in. I cannot copy or move the file itself. I
>cannot delete the file/folder once I put it in the dummy folder. Good
>thought, thanks. Still no go, though.
>
>Dave - Talon

download the 30 day trial of treesize professional.

Navigate to the file and delete it from within that program.

Dave