File unremovable

Mhaxx

      13th Nov 2007
Under:

C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Impostazioni locali\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\N3JGPQHL

I can't delete a file named something like
1604104820@Top,Bottom,HalfBanner.... Why?

I can't delete it because even if I click on "Delete" from the menu "File"
nothing happens! I can't rename it because nothing happens, I can't move it
because nothing happens.. why? I tried to remove from MS-DOS console but I
coundn't.

Any idea?

Mhaxx

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      13th Nov 2007

"Mhaxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Under:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Impostazioni locali\Temporary
> Internet
> Files\Content.IE5\N3JGPQHL
>
> I can't delete a file named something like
> 1604104820@Top,Bottom,HalfBanner.... Why?
>
> I can't delete it because even if I click on "Delete" from the menu "File"
> nothing happens! I can't rename it because nothing happens, I can't move
> it
> because nothing happens.. why? I tried to remove from MS-DOS console but I
> coundn't.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Mhaxx

- What is the full file name?
- What happens when you try to delete the file from a Command Prompt?
- What happens when you delete the file with its Short File Name?

To see the Short File Name, type this command:
dir /x "C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Impostazioni locali\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5\N3JGPQHL\1604*.*"

Mhaxx

      13th Nov 2007
> - What is the full file name?

date: 02/11/2007 16.21
size: 34.875
short name: 160410~1
ext name:
1604104820@Top,Bottom,HalfBanner,HalfBanner_2,SkyScraper,MaxTicker_01,VideoB
ox,SpotLight_01,PopUp,TextBox_01,TextBox_02,TextBox_03,TextBox_04,[1]

> - What happens when you try to delete the file from a Command Prompt?

OS says that file is not found.

> - What happens when you delete the file with its Short File Name?

OS says that file is not found.

Thanks,

Mhaxx

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      13th Nov 2007

"Mhaxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> - What is the full file name?

> date: 02/11/2007 16.21
> size: 34.875
> short name: 160410~1
> ext name:
> 1604104820@Top,Bottom,HalfBanner,HalfBanner_2,SkyScraper,MaxTicker_01,VideoB
> ox,SpotLight_01,PopUp,TextBox_01,TextBox_02,TextBox_03,TextBox_04,[1]
>
>> - What happens when you try to delete the file from a Command Prompt?

> OS says that file is not found.
>
>> - What happens when you delete the file with its Short File Name?

> OS says that file is not found.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mhaxx

The combined path + file name may be too long. Try this:
- Click Start / Run / cmd {OK}
- Type these commands and press {Enter} each time:
subst X: "C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Impostazioni
locali\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\" {Enter}
X: {Enter}
cd N3JGPQHL{Enter}
del 160410~1{Enter}

This should fix the problem.

Mhaxx

      13th Nov 2007
> The combined path + file name may be too long. Try this:
> - Click Start / Run / cmd {OK}
> - Type these commands and press {Enter} each time:
> subst X: "C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Impostazioni
> locali\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\" {Enter}
> X: {Enter}

Maybe you mean cd X ?

> cd N3JGPQHL{Enter}
> del 160410~1{Enter}

Already tried without success!

Mhaxx

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      13th Nov 2007
See below.

"Mhaxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The combined path + file name may be too long. Try this:
>> - Click Start / Run / cmd {OK}
>> - Type these commands and press {Enter} each time:
>> subst X: "C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Impostazioni
>> locali\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\" {Enter}
>> X: {Enter}

> Maybe you mean cd X ?

*** No, I did mean X: {Enter}
*** It is essential that you delete the file while on drive X:!

>> cd N3JGPQHL{Enter}
>> del 160410~1{Enter}

> Already tried without success!
>
> Mhaxx

When I wrote

Mhaxx

      13th Nov 2007
> >> - Click Start / Run / cmd {OK}
> >> - Type these commands and press {Enter} each time:
> >> subst X: "C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Impostazioni
> >> locali\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\" {Enter}

It says it's impossible to find this path! :-O

> >> X: {Enter}

> > Maybe you mean cd X ?

> *** No, I did mean X: {Enter}
> *** It is essential that you delete the file while on drive X:!
>
> >> cd N3JGPQHL{Enter}
> >> del 160410~1{Enter}

> > Already tried without success!
> >
> > Mhaxx
> >

> When I wrote

?

Mhaxx

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      13th Nov 2007
If the path does not exist then the preceding "subst" command
failed. Here it is again - it is one single long line!

subst X: "C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Impostazioni
locali\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\" {Enter}

"Mhaxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eyb$(E-Mail Removed)...

> It says it's impossible to find this path! :-O

>> > Maybe you mean cd X ?

>> *** No, I did mean X: {Enter}
>> *** It is essential that you delete the file while on drive X:!

>> > Already tried without success!
>> >
>> > Mhaxx
>> >

>> When I wrote

> ?
>
> Mhaxx

Mhaxx

      13th Nov 2007
> failed. Here it is again - it is one single long line!

You're right: I renamed the prev subfolders to single char so the total
number of chars is lower.. and now I can delete it, good!

Thank you so much,

Mhaxx

Sammy bin Snoozin

      25th Nov 2007