What file types does Windows Mail look for when importing from Outlook Express?

d gittens

      20th Jan 2009
I've seen mention of .dbx files, and then there are .pab files, .ost and
..pst (although the last two might be for just Outlook and not Express). I'd
like to retrieve my old email from Express and I want to make sure I have
those file types available from my old machine. Can someone please help me
with the info?

Thanks!
D.

Tom Koch

      20th Jan 2009
"d gittens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen mention of .dbx files, and then there are .pab files, .ost and
> .pst (although the last two might be for just Outlook and not Express).
> I'd like to retrieve my old email from Express and I want to make sure I
> have those file types available from my old machine. Can someone please
> help me with the info?

*.dbx files are Outlook Express files. To import those into Vista Windows
Mail, you need to copy the whole folder of *.dbx files from your old
computer. Then in Windows Mail click File|Import|Messages, select Outlook
Express 6, then select "Import from an OE6 store directory." Browse to the
folder you copied from the old computer and the rest should be automatic.
You *must* have the master index ("Folders.dbx") in the folder or WinMail
cannot do the import.

*.pab, *.ost and *.pst are all Outlook file formats. *.pab is a Personal
Address Book. *.pst is a Personal Folders file, and I'm not sure about *.ost
(configuration settings I think). To import from Outlook into Windows Mail,
you first have to install Outlook on the same computer.

--
Tom Koch
Awareness is free.

Steve Cochran

      20th Jan 2009
See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx Follow the directions exactly as its quite
buggy otherwise.

steve

"d gittens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen mention of .dbx files, and then there are .pab files, .ost and
> .pst (although the last two might be for just Outlook and not Express).
> I'd like to retrieve my old email from Express and I want to make sure I
> have those file types available from my old machine. Can someone please
> help me with the info?
>
> Thanks!
> D.

Patrick Keenan

      20th Jan 2009

"Tom Koch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "d gittens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've seen mention of .dbx files, and then there are .pab files, .ost and
>> .pst (although the last two might be for just Outlook and not Express).
>> I'd like to retrieve my old email from Express and I want to make sure I
>> have those file types available from my old machine. Can someone please
>> help me with the info?

> *.dbx files are Outlook Express files. To import those into Vista Windows
> Mail, you need to copy the whole folder of *.dbx files from your old
> computer. Then in Windows Mail click File|Import|Messages, select Outlook
> Express 6, then select "Import from an OE6 store directory." Browse to the
> folder you copied from the old computer and the rest should be automatic.
> You *must* have the master index ("Folders.dbx") in the folder or WinMail
> cannot do the import.

You can import to Windows Mail by taking the *complete* folder from the OE
system, and pointing Windows Mail to it (store folder). Note that if
you've transferred it via CD, you'll probably have to copy it to the hard
disk first as read rights are generally required.

> *.pab, *.ost and *.pst are all Outlook file formats. *.pab is a Personal
> Address Book. *.pst is a Personal Folders file, and I'm not sure about
> *.ost (configuration settings I think).

Offline storage. They are mostly used with Exchange server connections.

HTH
-pk

> To import from Outlook into Windows Mail, you first have to install
> Outlook on the same computer.
>
> --
> Tom Koch
> Awareness is free.
> http://tomsterdam.com
> http://insideoe.com

PA Bear [MS MVP]

      21st Jan 2009
[In for a penny...]

HOW TO Migrate from Outlook Express to Windows Mail
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm or...
http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migra...o-Windows-Mail
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)