File in Temp I can't delete Help Appreciated

Marsha

      6th Jan 2009
Hello,
I have a file in my C:WINDOWS\Temp that I can't delete.
Perflib_Perfdata_6d0 what is this and how do I get rid of it?
Thanks,
Marsha

Sammy Castagna

      6th Jan 2009
Marsha,
A while back I got S7jfwbo7.exe on my machine.Malwarebytes would not take it
off access denided. I searched and found it and renamed it .old and deleted
it.

Sammy Castagna

"Marsha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ebT7%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I have a file in my C:WINDOWS\Temp that I can't delete.
> Perflib_Perfdata_6d0 what is this and how do I get rid of it?
> Thanks,
> Marsha

R. McCarty

      6th Jan 2009
Windows XP provides for collection of performance data. Called
Counters they cover most of the different aspects of XP performance.
The Perlib_Perdata is the workspace or temp file that holds that data.
The Performance monitor will show you what counters are enabled.
Click Start, Run ( type ) Perfmon.Msc [Enter]

More info in the following MS Knowledge Base Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305610

"Marsha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ebT7%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I have a file in my C:WINDOWS\Temp that I can't delete.
> Perflib_Perfdata_6d0 what is this and how do I get rid of it?
> Thanks,
> Marsha

Gerry

      6th Jan 2009
Marsha

Select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, Performance
Logs and Alerts. Right click and select Properties change the StartUp
type to Manual. You can also stop the service which will probable make
it possible for you to delete the log.

Select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Performance to see
the tool creating the logs. You can set a maximum size for each log.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marsha wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a file in my C:WINDOWS\Temp that I can't delete.
> Perflib_Perfdata_6d0 what is this and how do I get rid of it?
> Thanks,
> Marsha

Marsha

      6th Jan 2009
Performance Logs and Alerts was already set to manual. I use Firefox as a
browser and I think it has something to do with that. The file surfaced
yesterday during the time I was doing windows updates. I never noticed it
before and I delete the Temp folder often, however I can't get rid of this
file. It won't let me delete it or change the name to delete it. It is not
showing up in the tool creating the logs either, that I can tell. In
Counter Logs there is one file
Name: System Overview
Comment: This sample log provides an overview of system performance
Log Type: Binary
Log File Name: C:\PerfLogs\System_Overview.blg

In the Temp folder the name of the file I can't delete is
Perflib_Perfdata_69c

Thanks again for all of the help I am getting with this.
Marsha

Gerry

      7th Jan 2009
Marsha

Those files are not what I thought they were.

What are your anti-virus and anti-spyware arrangements? Further research
suggests you may have a malware infestation.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marsha wrote:
> Performance Logs and Alerts was already set to manual. I use Firefox
> as a browser and I think it has something to do with that. The file
> surfaced yesterday during the time I was doing windows updates. I
> never noticed it before and I delete the Temp folder often, however I
> can't get rid of this file. It won't let me delete it or change the
> name to delete it. It is not showing up in the tool creating the
> logs either, that I can tell. In Counter Logs there is one file
> Name: System Overview
> Comment: This sample log provides an overview of system performance
> Log Type: Binary
> Log File Name: C:\PerfLogs\System_Overview.blg
>
> In the Temp folder the name of the file I can't delete is
> Perflib_Perfdata_69c
>
> Thanks again for all of the help I am getting with this.
> Marsha

Marsha

      7th Jan 2009
Trend Micro Spybot Search and Destroy both show nothing when scanned

"Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Marsha
>
> Those files are not what I thought they were.
>
> What are your anti-virus and anti-spyware arrangements? Further research
> suggests you may have a malware infestation.
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Marsha wrote:
>> Performance Logs and Alerts was already set to manual. I use Firefox
>> as a browser and I think it has something to do with that. The file
>> surfaced yesterday during the time I was doing windows updates. I
>> never noticed it before and I delete the Temp folder often, however I
>> can't get rid of this file. It won't let me delete it or change the
>> name to delete it. It is not showing up in the tool creating the
>> logs either, that I can tell. In Counter Logs there is one file
>> Name: System Overview
>> Comment: This sample log provides an overview of system performance
>> Log Type: Binary
>> Log File Name: C:\PerfLogs\System_Overview.blg
>>
>> In the Temp folder the name of the file I can't delete is
>> Perflib_Perfdata_69c
>>
>> Thanks again for all of the help I am getting with this.
>> Marsha

Gerry

      8th Jan 2009
Marsha