File System Error (1148) [Cannot Delete File]

Fan of P2P

      14th Nov 2003
If you get this error whilst deleting files, it is caused because
explorer.exe cannot handle paths of longer than 256 characters. nice
eh?!!?

just do a net use * \\server\share\folder\folder\folder\folder

this will then shorten the path so you can delete the folder. with
windows 2000 you can map many levels down, not just \\server\share.

HTH

amyjigglypuff

      17th Sep 2005

I think this is the answer to my problem, but I'm not sure how to do it
Could someone explain where I need to actually go and type this?

I'm trying to save some files that got put in a folder with a reall
long path name. Windows won't let me access them, though I can se
that they are there. I'm not even sure how Windows created the folder
but I would really appreciate some help.

Fan of P2P wrote:
> *If you get this error whilst deleting files, it is caused because
> explorer.exe cannot handle paths of longer than 256 characters.
> nice
> eh?!!?
>
> just do a net use * \\server\share\folder\folder\folder\folder
>
> this will then shorten the path so you can delete the folder. with
> windows 2000 you can map many levels down, not just \\server\share.
>
> HTH

-
amyjigglypuf