file sharing server not started?

Eric

      29th Apr 2007
When i try to share a directory (TripPics)in XP, (Right click TripPics,
select sharing and security - Checkmark "Share this folder on the network",
click apply) I get this message:
An Error occurred while trying to share TripPics. The Server service is not
started. The shared resource was not created at this time.

The "Server service"? What?

This all used to work and one day it just stopped working, RD quit, shared
directories went away. Was this a windows update fix or something? Maybe.

Anyway how do i return this to normal so i can share directories? I got RD
working, but i still cant share directories.

Here's the weird part, the previously shared dirs actually show up on the
network but you cant do anything with them and they dont show a shared
icon in XP
Thanks
Eric

Stephen Whitlock

      5th May 2007
Eric wrote:
> When i try to share a directory (TripPics)in XP, (Right click TripPics,
> select sharing and security - Checkmark "Share this folder on the network",
> click apply) I get this message:
> An Error occurred while trying to share TripPics. The Server service is not
> started. The shared resource was not created at this time.
>
> The "Server service"? What?
>
> This all used to work and one day it just stopped working, RD quit, shared
> directories went away. Was this a windows update fix or something? Maybe.
>
> Anyway how do i return this to normal so i can share directories? I got RD
> working, but i still cant share directories.
>
> Here's the weird part, the previously shared dirs actually show up on the
> network but you cant do anything with them and they dont show a shared
> icon in XP
> Thanks
> Eric

Right click My Computer - Manage - Services and Applications - Services.
Scroll down the list and check the status of Server. It should be set to
Automatic and should be showing as started. If it is not on automatic
then double click and set Startup Type to automatic click apply then
click start. If is already on automatic but has not started try staring
it (right click then click start) if it does not start then check event
viewer both application and system to see why it is not starting.