file setupdd.sys could not be loaded, the error is 4??

Maurizio

      29th Sep 2012
Hello:
I hed trouble with my win xp installed on my desktop, so I decided to
restore an old image that I made with Norton ghost 2003, when finish, at
startup I got
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
system32\drivers\pci.sys

so I decided to re-install XP again. when trying that (from my CD), I got :
file setupdd.sys could not be loaded, the error is 4?? setup cannot
continue. Press any key to exit.

what does that means? any damage to my HD or mother board?

any help is appreciated

thank you

Paul

      29th Sep 2012
Maurizio wrote:
> Hello:
> I hed trouble with my win xp installed on my desktop, so I decided to
> restore an old image that I made with Norton ghost 2003, when finish, at
> startup I got
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> system32\drivers\pci.sys
>
> so I decided to re-install XP again. when trying that (from my CD), I got :
> file setupdd.sys could not be loaded, the error is 4?? setup cannot
> continue. Press any key to exit.
>
> what does that means? any damage to my HD or mother board?
>
> any help is appreciated
>
> thank you

This article has both pci.sys and setupdd.sys as symptoms.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330181

But they couldn't specify, in plain English, their theory as to what
hardware is defective. They seem to be playing with the system RAM DIMMs.
But they also attempt to remove PCI cards. So either their theory is a
PCI card is malfunctioning (card not making good contact with slot), or
that the RAM is not error free.

One respondent here, claims changing the RAM for some different RAM, helped.
So based on that feedback, I would work on testing system RAM first.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-0afcb7cb68f1

You can test the RAM with memtest86+. Scroll half way down this web
page, to find the download section.

http://www.memtest.org/

If you see errors in memtest, you can test the sticks of RAM one
at a time, to be certain you have the defective stick under test
or not. It's pretty hard, in dual channel mode, to decode the
address information in the memtest screen, and figure out which
DIMM is defective. Testing one stick at a time, helps positively
identify the bad one.

This is not a complete description of all the little tricks
of memory testing, but I'm hoping you'll see some clear-cut
positive or negative results right away. And we can go from
there.

Memtest will run forever, if given a chance. I try to do at
least one complete test pass (maybe 20 minutes of testing),
before trying some other tests. You can test for longer than
that if you want. Test #5 is pretty good at detecting problems,
so if you're in a rush, you can move to that test and try it.

Paul

Hot-Text

      29th Sep 2012
"Maurizio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:k45v0i$78s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
> I hed trouble with my win xp installed on my desktop, so I decided to
> restore an old image that I made with Norton ghost 2003, when finish, at
> startup I got
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> system32\drivers\pci.sys
>
> so I decided to re-install XP again. when trying that (from my CD), I got :
> file setupdd.sys could not be loaded, the error is 4?? setup cannot
> continue. Press any key to exit.
>
> what does that means? any damage to my HD or mother board?
>
> any help is appreciated
>
> thank you

You need to setup your Computer tor Boot from CD/DVD Drive..

Afterwards you can do a repair,
to your OS, system drivers......
from the CD/DVD Drive.....