File missing preventing boot-up

billurie@nospam.org

      16th Mar 2005
Sorry to be back again, fellows.
Suddenly my Master Drive will not boot. Halts at
"File missing, C:\windows\system32\config\system"
Instructions say use install CD and type "r" at first screen.
Followed instructions, typed 'r' for Recovery Console when I
got there, selected '1' for C:\windows (the only choice) and
it took me to the C:\windows prompt.

There are many many actions possible there, but I looked at
FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and figured I'd be safer asking your
advice rather than groping and breaking it further.

Information: Running this drive as a Slave, everything seems
clean. I did chkdsk/r on the faulty hard drive, and it did
some things during the 5 steps, ran it again and it
reported 'clean'.
--
William B. Lurie

Jabez Gan

      16th Mar 2005
Hey there,

I don't think that doing a FIXMBR or FIXBOOT will solve the issue, since I
believe that a/some file(s) are missing or corrupted.

Instead, try this:
Before Windows load, please tap on the key F8 and select Last Known Good....
If it loads properly, restart your PC and do not tap on F8 and see if
Windows can load properly.

If Last Known Good doesn't work, try entering Safe Mode and update me
whether it is possible.

--
Jabez Gan
Give me a chance, Let me help you!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry to be back again, fellows.
> Suddenly my Master Drive will not boot. Halts at
> "File missing, C:\windows\system32\config\system"
> Instructions say use install CD and type "r" at first screen.
> Followed instructions, typed 'r' for Recovery Console when I
> got there, selected '1' for C:\windows (the only choice) and
> it took me to the C:\windows prompt.
>
> There are many many actions possible there, but I looked at
> FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and figured I'd be safer asking your
> advice rather than groping and breaking it further.
>
> Information: Running this drive as a Slave, everything seems
> clean. I did chkdsk/r on the faulty hard drive, and it did
> some things during the 5 steps, ran it again and it
> reported 'clean'.
> --
> William B. Lurie

billurie@nospam.org

      16th Mar 2005
Jabez Gan wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I don't think that doing a FIXMBR or FIXBOOT will solve the issue, since I
> believe that a/some file(s) are missing or corrupted.
>
> Instead, try this:
> Before Windows load, please tap on the key F8 and select Last Known Good....
> If it loads properly, restart your PC and do not tap on F8 and see if
> Windows can load properly.
>
> If Last Known Good doesn't work, try entering Safe Mode and update me
> whether it is possible.

Thank you, Jabez, but although I'm not an expert, I've been down
this road in the past. It won't go to where it will load any
of the Safe or Last Good mode.....it won't load any mode at all
Yes, it does say what specific file is missing, and I'm hoping
that somebody will tell me how to get that file back, from the CD,
to where it belongs.

--
William B. Lurie

Jabez Gan

      16th Mar 2005
Bill,

Please do the following in Recovery Console to transfer the file from a CD
(please copy the file system to a CD before doing the below):

set AllowAllPaths = True
set AllowRemovableMedia = True
copy E:\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

(Substitute E: to your CD Drive letter)

Hope this helps.

--
Jabez Gan
Give me a chance, Let me help you!
http://www.blizhosting.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uU$UF$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jabez Gan wrote:
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I don't think that doing a FIXMBR or FIXBOOT will solve the issue, since
>> I believe that a/some file(s) are missing or corrupted.
>>
>> Instead, try this:
>> Before Windows load, please tap on the key F8 and select Last Known
>> Good.... If it loads properly, restart your PC and do not tap on F8 and
>> see if Windows can load properly.
>>
>> If Last Known Good doesn't work, try entering Safe Mode and update me
>> whether it is possible.
>>

> Thank you, Jabez, but although I'm not an expert, I've been down
> this road in the past. It won't go to where it will load any
> of the Safe or Last Good mode.....it won't load any mode at all
> Yes, it does say what specific file is missing, and I'm hoping
> that somebody will tell me how to get that file back, from the CD,
> to where it belongs.
>
> --
> William B. Lurie

Richard Urban

      16th Mar 2005

Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry to be back again, fellows.
> Suddenly my Master Drive will not boot. Halts at
> "File missing, C:\windows\system32\config\system"
> Instructions say use install CD and type "r" at first screen.
> Followed instructions, typed 'r' for Recovery Console when I
> got there, selected '1' for C:\windows (the only choice) and
> it took me to the C:\windows prompt.
>
> There are many many actions possible there, but I looked at
> FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and figured I'd be safer asking your
> advice rather than groping and breaking it further.
>
> Information: Running this drive as a Slave, everything seems
> clean. I did chkdsk/r on the faulty hard drive, and it did
> some things during the 5 steps, ran it again and it
> reported 'clean'.
> --
> William B. Lurie

GTS

      16th Mar 2005
This is a damaged registry file and a difficult problem and not always
repairable.. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 which addresses
this error specifically and a possible recovery method. (Running the
chkdsk /r was a good move as this is sometimes the result of a failing hard
disk, though apparently not in your case.)
--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry to be back again, fellows.
> Suddenly my Master Drive will not boot. Halts at
> "File missing, C:\windows\system32\config\system"
> Instructions say use install CD and type "r" at first screen.
> Followed instructions, typed 'r' for Recovery Console when I
> got there, selected '1' for C:\windows (the only choice) and
> it took me to the C:\windows prompt.
>
> There are many many actions possible there, but I looked at
> FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and figured I'd be safer asking your
> advice rather than groping and breaking it further.
>
> Information: Running this drive as a Slave, everything seems
> clean. I did chkdsk/r on the faulty hard drive, and it did
> some things during the 5 steps, ran it again and it
> reported 'clean'.
> --
> William B. Lurie

Richard Urban

      16th Mar 2005
DON'T DO THIS! It is wrong!

You need to copy the requisite files from your REPAIR FOLDER (not the CD) to
the correct location.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Jabez Gan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bill,
>
> Please do the following in Recovery Console to transfer the file from a CD
> (please copy the file system to a CD before doing the below):
>
> set AllowAllPaths = True
> set AllowRemovableMedia = True
> copy E:\system C:\windows\system32\config\system
>
> (Substitute E: to your CD Drive letter)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Jabez Gan
> Give me a chance, Let me help you!
> http://www.blizhosting.com
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uU$UF$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jabez Gan wrote:
>>> Hey there,
>>>
>>> I don't think that doing a FIXMBR or FIXBOOT will solve the issue, since
>>> I believe that a/some file(s) are missing or corrupted.
>>>
>>> Instead, try this:
>>> Before Windows load, please tap on the key F8 and select Last Known
>>> Good.... If it loads properly, restart your PC and do not tap on F8 and
>>> see if Windows can load properly.
>>>
>>> If Last Known Good doesn't work, try entering Safe Mode and update me
>>> whether it is possible.
>>>

>> Thank you, Jabez, but although I'm not an expert, I've been down
>> this road in the past. It won't go to where it will load any
>> of the Safe or Last Good mode.....it won't load any mode at all
>> Yes, it does say what specific file is missing, and I'm hoping
>> that somebody will tell me how to get that file back, from the CD,
>> to where it belongs.
>>
>> --
>> William B. Lurie

Jabez Gan

      16th Mar 2005
Thanks Richard. I have forgotten about that.

Bill, I'm regrettably sorry but please see the other link that Richard
posted.

--
Jabez Gan
Give me a chance, Let me help you!
http://www.blizhosting.com

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DON'T DO THIS! It is wrong!
>
> You need to copy the requisite files from your REPAIR FOLDER (not the CD)
> to the correct location.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "Jabez Gan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bill,
>>
>> Please do the following in Recovery Console to transfer the file from a
>> CD (please copy the file system to a CD before doing the below):
>>
>> set AllowAllPaths = True
>> set AllowRemovableMedia = True
>> copy E:\system C:\windows\system32\config\system
>>
>> (Substitute E: to your CD Drive letter)
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Jabez Gan
>> Give me a chance, Let me help you!
>> http://www.blizhosting.com
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uU$UF$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thank you, Jabez, but although I'm not an expert, I've been down
>>> this road in the past. It won't go to where it will load any
>>> of the Safe or Last Good mode.....it won't load any mode at all
>>> Yes, it does say what specific file is missing, and I'm hoping
>>> that somebody will tell me how to get that file back, from the CD,
>>> to where it belongs.
>>>
>>> --
>>> William B. Lurie

billurie@nospam.org

      16th Mar 2005
GTS wrote:
> This is a damaged registry file and a difficult problem and not always
> repairable.. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 which addresses
> this error specifically and a possible recovery method. (Running the
> chkdsk /r was a good move as this is sometimes the result of a failing hard
> disk, though apparently not in your case.)

Thank you, GTS, for the link to the KB article specifically addressing
this problem, as you indicated. Unless one of our other helpful friends
has a better suggestion, I don't think I have much alternative to
following the very complicated procedure furnished.

I will have to read those four pages very carefully, several times,
to make sure I understand each step. For example, Part two states
what to do for Home Edition ("follow these steps", and then a
detailed procedure, and I can only assume that what follows the next
four steps will apply to XP Professional Edition). After those steps,
there is a NOTE: The procedure described in this section assumes
that you are running your computer with the FAT32 file system. Well,
my XP has been all NTFS for several years now, so I'll have to sort
out what applies to XP Pro and to NTFS.

There is one more stumbling block, however: Late in the Article, in fact
the last step, is "Click System Restore, and then click Restore to a
previous RestorePoint. I am not ashamed to confess that I have no
previous RestorePoint, because, as these pages attest, I do a complete
HardDrive DriveImage at frequent intervals. I'm open to some sound
advice here, before I wade in up past the knees into waters that are
obviously not clear to me.

William B. Lurie

GTS

      16th Mar 2005
You're welcome and good luck. This procedure is complicated and not always
successful. You should have a Restore Point unless you actually turned of
System Restore. The NTFS references address access to the System Volume
Information folder, so if you really disabled system restore it will not be
applicable. It's fortunate that you image the drive. Restoring that backup
may well be the best solution. If it's up to date I'd be inclined to go
that route at the outset rather than the repair.