File Error: Data May Have Been Lost (Excel 2000)

derabbit

      4th Apr 2008
Excel 2000 (SP-3)
OS = XP Home Edition w/ latest updates (autoupdate)

The Situation/Problem:
Single tab Spreadsheet with 14 "Buttons" and associated VB programs.
Spreadsheet is modified (code edited, new data added to the sheet, etc.) and
saved. After several iterations (the number varies), when the spreadsheet is
reopened and "Enable Macros" selected, the following message is presented:
"File Error: Data May Have Been Lost ". The spreadsheet is presented BUT
all buttons and graphs which were present in all previous open/modity/save
operations are GONE! The VB code is still there BUT buttons can not be
recreated in the same spreadsheet.

More Detail: I used the following "recovery" method.
1. Open a new workbook.
2. Copy the data from the now-corrupt file to the new workbook.
Note: The VB programs are NOT copied to the new workbook.
3. Create new buttons on the new sheet and paste in the VB from the original
spreadsheet.

After completing the above steps, the "new" workbook is again whole and
continues to function (loads, opens, is modified, saved, etc.) - BUT ONLY FOR
A SHORT WHILE!! Eventually (time and frequency varies) the error message is
again presented and the buttons are lost. The "recovery" is painful.

Please, anyone who can shed any light on this issue, please respond.

Thanks, derabbit

Alan124

      10th Apr 2008
On Apr 4, 11:47*am, derabbit <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Excel2000 (SP-3)
> OS = XP Home Edition w/ latest updates (autoupdate)
>
> The Situation/Problem:
> Single tab Spreadsheet with 14 "Buttons" *and associated VB programs. *
> Spreadsheet is modified (code edited, new data added to the sheet, etc.) and
> saved. *After several iterations (the number varies), when the spreadsheet is
> reopened and "Enable Macros" selected, the following message is presented:
> "File Error: *Data May Have Been Lost ". *The spreadsheet is presentedBUT
> all buttons and graphs which were present in all previous open/modity/save
> operations are GONE! *The VB code is still there BUT buttons can not be
> recreated in the same spreadsheet. *
>
> More Detail: *I used the following "recovery" method.
> 1. Open a new workbook.
> 2. Copy the data from the now-corruptfile to the new workbook. *
> * * Note: *The VB programs are NOT copied to the new workbook.
> 3. Create new buttons on the new sheet and paste in the VB from the original
> spreadsheet.
>
> After completing the above steps, the "new" workbook is again whole and
> continues to function (loads, opens, is modified, saved, etc.) - BUT ONLY FOR
> A SHORT WHILE!! *Eventually (time and frequency varies) the error message is
> again presented and the buttons are lost. *The "recovery" is painful.
>
> Please, anyone who can shed any light on this issue, please respond.
>
> Thanks, * derabbit

Hi,

There is a tool called Advanced Excel Repair. I have used it to repair
many corrupt Excel xls files on my damaged disks successfully. Its
homepage is http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

Maybe you can have a try.

Alan

New Member

      16th Aug 2012
There is very dangerous situation when your excel files got damage or corrupt. It may be contain so many important data and suddenlty while you go to access then it will turn down your request and show you error messages. In this situation you have to calm down. You can take help of Microsoft and visit http://support.microsoft.com/ .
Further more you can also use third party recovery tool to show your sensibility to recovery the damage or corrupt files. For more information you can visit:- http://www.excelrecoverymac.com
It will be very useful for you.