File-c:\windows\memory.DMP-- Can I delete it safely

=?Utf-8?B?ZG8geW91IGtub3c=?=

      17th Dec 2006
Avast anti virus found a trojan in this file. 786,432KB is too big to fit in
it's chest. I put it in the recycle bin. Is it safe too delete it or is there
software too clean and restore this file. Avast identified it as---
win32:Small-LX[Trj]

Windows XP professional

Wesley Vogel

      17th Dec 2006
Delete it.

Probably caused by an error on your machine.

A kernel memory dump, which is written to the %SystemRoot%\Memory.dmp
folder.

A complete memory dump, which is written to the %SystemRoot%\Memory.dmp
folder.

If a STOP message appears and a Memory.dmp or minidump file is created,
these can be sent to Microsoft.

And if Memory.dmp was created by malware deleting can only help.

Either way, deleting it will hurt nothing.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
do you know <do you (E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> Avast anti virus found a trojan in this file. 786,432KB is too big to fit
> in it's chest. I put it in the recycle bin. Is it safe too delete it or
> is there software too clean and restore this file. Avast identified it
> as--- win32:Small-LX[Trj]
>
> Windows XP professional

Virtual Server

      17th Dec 2006
As far as I know this file is a copy of RAM at the time when your PC
crashed. You or MS can use that file to analyze the state of the computer at
the crash time and to find out what caused that crash. But otherwise you can
safely delete that file.

Miha

news:(E-Mail Removed)...