BE/ FE Question

JenK

      8th Jan 2009
I am running access 2000 and have secured by db using Access security. I have
slit my db into a BE/ FE. The problem I have is that it is running slow. It
was brought to my attention that the reason for this is probably because
everyone is running the FE off the server. I want to put a copy onto
everyones desktop. How do I do this while still haveing the user enter a
password?

Keith Wilby

      8th Jan 2009
"JenK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running access 2000 and have secured by db using Access security. I
>have
> slit my db into a BE/ FE. The problem I have is that it is running slow.
> It
> was brought to my attention that the reason for this is probably because
> everyone is running the FE off the server. I want to put a copy onto
> everyones desktop. How do I do this while still haveing the user enter a
> password?

Use a batch file to copy the FE to the user's desktop and then open it.
There's some sample batch file code below my sig. Performance can also be
enhanced by having a persistent connection between the front and back ends.
You achieve that by always having a bound form open.

Keith.
www.keithwilby.co.uk

DEL "%temp%\MyLocalFolder\*.*" /Q
RD "%temp%\MyLocalFolder"
MKDIR "%temp%\MyLocalFolder"

DEL "%userprofile%\desktop\MyShortcut.lnk"
XCOPY "\\MyPath\MyShortcut.lnk" "%userprofile%\desktop"

XCOPY "\\MyPath\MyDBFile.mdb" "%temp%\MyLocalFolder" /I
START "MyApp" /MAX "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSACCESS.EXE"
"%temp%\MyLocalFolder\MyDBFile.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\MyPath\MyWorkgroup.mdw"

JenK

      8th Jan 2009
Thanks for the code, I am a little confused on how to use it though. I am not
sure if this is correct or if I am missing something.
I would like everyone to run the program from C:\Program Files
The shortcut will be called Database
I see you have shortcut.Ink I am not sure on how to get it called .Ink
My secured.MDW file is saved under L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw

DEL "%temp%\Program Files\*.*" /Q
RD "%temp%\Program Files"
MKDIR "%temp%\Program Files"

DEL "%userprofile%\desktop\MyShortcut.lnk"
XCOPY "\\Program Files\MyShortcut.lnk" "%userprofile%\desktop"

XCOPY "\\Program Files\\Database.mdb" "%temp%\MyLocalFolder" /I
START "MyApp" /MAX "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
"%temp%\Program Files\Database.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw"

"Keith Wilby" wrote:

> "JenK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am running access 2000 and have secured by db using Access security. I
> >have
> > slit my db into a BE/ FE. The problem I have is that it is running slow.
> > It
> > was brought to my attention that the reason for this is probably because
> > everyone is running the FE off the server. I want to put a copy onto
> > everyones desktop. How do I do this while still haveing the user enter a
> > password?

> Use a batch file to copy the FE to the user's desktop and then open it.
> There's some sample batch file code below my sig. Performance can also be
> enhanced by having a persistent connection between the front and back ends.
> You achieve that by always having a bound form open.
>
> Keith.
> www.keithwilby.co.uk
>
> DEL "%temp%\MyLocalFolder\*.*" /Q
> RD "%temp%\MyLocalFolder"
> MKDIR "%temp%\MyLocalFolder"
>
> DEL "%userprofile%\desktop\MyShortcut.lnk"
> XCOPY "\\MyPath\MyShortcut.lnk" "%userprofile%\desktop"
>
> XCOPY "\\MyPath\MyDBFile.mdb" "%temp%\MyLocalFolder" /I
> START "MyApp" /MAX "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSACCESS.EXE"
> "%temp%\MyLocalFolder\MyDBFile.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\MyPath\MyWorkgroup.mdw"

Tony Toews [MVP]

      9th Jan 2009
JenK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like everyone to run the program from C:\Program Files

Do *NOT* do so. Regular users have read only access to Program Files
thus they will not be able to copy in the FE or any future updates to
the FE.

Instead copy the FE to the users Application Data\Your App Name
folder.

BTW the free Auto FE Updater can also do all this as well as creating
the necessary shortcuts.

I specifically created the Auto FE Updater utility so that I could
make changes to the FE MDE as often as I wanted and be quite confident
that the next time someone went to run the app that it would pull in
the latest version. For more info on the errors or the Auto FE
Updater utility see the free Auto FE Updater utility at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm at my website to keep the
FE on each PC up to date.

In a Terminal Server or Citrix environment the Auto FE Updater now
supports creating a directory named after the user on a server. Given
a choice put the FE on the Citrix server to reduce network traffic and
to avoid having to load objects over the network which can be somewhat
sluggish.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

JenK

      9th Jan 2009
thank-you for the program. I have used the secured example.ini as my
reference and it seems to work, it has created a desktop icon but it shows
the target location as my server target rather that the target on my computer.
Here is the code as I modified it
[Settings]
MainApp=%appdata%\Application Data\Database\
FileNameToStart=Apollo Database.mdb
Server=L:\Basic data\Access Databases\DatabaseFE\
Lockout=No
LockoutMsg=Sorry, not allowed into the system right now.
SupportMsg=Please contact Jennifer for support.
CommandLine=/wrkgrp "L:\Basic data\Access Databases\SECURED.MDW

ShortCutName=Database
CreateShortCutOnDesktop=no
CreateShortCutOnCommonDesktop=Yes

MDWFile=L:\Basic data\Access Databases\SECURED.MDW
MDWUser=DBAdmin
MDWPassword=(Password is encrypted)

MDWPasswordEncrypted=E72BD4A054DA24

Am I missing something or is there something I forgot to do, or is this
exactly how everything is supposed to run?

"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:

> JenK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I would like everyone to run the program from C:\Program Files

> Do *NOT* do so. Regular users have read only access to Program Files
> thus they will not be able to copy in the FE or any future updates to
> the FE.
>
> Instead copy the FE to the users Application Data\Your App Name
> folder.
>
> BTW the free Auto FE Updater can also do all this as well as creating
> the necessary shortcuts.
>
> I specifically created the Auto FE Updater utility so that I could
> make changes to the FE MDE as often as I wanted and be quite confident
> that the next time someone went to run the app that it would pull in
> the latest version. For more info on the errors or the Auto FE
> Updater utility see the free Auto FE Updater utility at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm at my website to keep the
> FE on each PC up to date.
>
> In a Terminal Server or Citrix environment the Auto FE Updater now
> supports creating a directory named after the user on a server. Given
> a choice put the FE on the Citrix server to reduce network traffic and
> to avoid having to load objects over the network which can be somewhat
> sluggish.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
> Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

Keith Wilby

      12th Jan 2009
"JenK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the code, I am a little confused on how to use it though. I am
> not
> sure if this is correct or if I am missing something.
> I would like everyone to run the program from C:\Program Files
> The shortcut will be called Database
> I see you have shortcut.Ink I am not sure on how to get it called .Ink
> My secured.MDW file is saved under L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw

The code copies the files into the user's profile Temp folder. As Tony
stated it is likely that this is the only area your users will have write
permissions to. If your shortcut is called Database then use

DEL "%userprofile%\desktop\Database.lnk"
XCOPY "\\MyPath\Database" "%userprofile%\desktop"

For your workgroup file:

START "MyApp" /MAX "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSACCESS.EXE"
"%temp%\MyLocalFolder\MyDBFile.mdb" /wrkgrp "L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw"

Keith.
www.keithwilby.co.uk

JenK

      12th Jan 2009
Is the program supposed to paste a hard copy onto my computer. All I have it
seems is a shortcut that is directed at the server file.
I am also unsure how to get the file to be placed onto all my users desktops
because I am unable to open the startMDB.exe file on my users computers.
I think I must have missed a step somewhere.

"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:

> JenK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I would like everyone to run the program from C:\Program Files

> Do *NOT* do so. Regular users have read only access to Program Files
> thus they will not be able to copy in the FE or any future updates to
> the FE.
>
> Instead copy the FE to the users Application Data\Your App Name
> folder.
>
> BTW the free Auto FE Updater can also do all this as well as creating
> the necessary shortcuts.
>
> I specifically created the Auto FE Updater utility so that I could
> make changes to the FE MDE as often as I wanted and be quite confident
> that the next time someone went to run the app that it would pull in
> the latest version. For more info on the errors or the Auto FE
> Updater utility see the free Auto FE Updater utility at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm at my website to keep the
> FE on each PC up to date.
>
> In a Terminal Server or Citrix environment the Auto FE Updater now
> supports creating a directory named after the user on a server. Given
> a choice put the FE on the Citrix server to reduce network traffic and
> to avoid having to load objects over the network which can be somewhat
> sluggish.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
> Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

david

      13th Jan 2009
> stated it is likely that this is the only area your users will have write

A better place for user files like mdb's is

%userprofile%\myfolder
or
%userprofile%\local settings\myfolder
or
%userprofile%\application data\myfolder
or
%userprofile%\local settings\application data\myfolder

(david)

"Keith Wilby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:496b05cf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JenK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the code, I am a little confused on how to use it though. I am
>> not
>> sure if this is correct or if I am missing something.
>> I would like everyone to run the program from C:\Program Files
>> The shortcut will be called Database
>> I see you have shortcut.Ink I am not sure on how to get it called .Ink
>> My secured.MDW file is saved under L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw
>>

> The code copies the files into the user's profile Temp folder. As Tony
> stated it is likely that this is the only area your users will have write
> permissions to. If your shortcut is called Database then use
>
> DEL "%userprofile%\desktop\Database.lnk"
> XCOPY "\\MyPath\Database" "%userprofile%\desktop"
>
> For your workgroup file:
>
> START "MyApp" /MAX "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Office\Office11\MSACCESS.EXE"
> "%temp%\MyLocalFolder\MyDBFile.mdb" /wrkgrp "L:\BD\AD\secured.mdw"
>
> Keith.
> www.keithwilby.co.uk

Keith Wilby

      13th Jan 2009
"david" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> stated it is likely that this is the only area your users will have write

> A better place for user files like mdb's is
>
> %userprofile%\myfolder
> or
> %userprofile%\local settings\myfolder
> or
> %userprofile%\application data\myfolder
> or
> %userprofile%\local settings\application data\myfolder

I'm not sure what difference it makes, if any, but I use the Temp folder
because it doesn't count towards the users' profile size in our corporate
policy.

Keith.

david

      15th Jan 2009
In which case, "local settings" will probably also work.

Like Temp, "local settings" is not copied back to the server.

Which does mean that, like temp, you loose it if anything happens to your
local computer.

If you actually redirect your profile to the server, instead of
backing it up to the server, then anything under "%userprofile%
will be on the server, and the user temp folder will also be on
the server. To get around that problem, you can redirect the
user temp folder to a local drive, but then you have to either
have a shared temp folder, or re-create the whole user-profile
system to secure the user temp folder.

It's just a preference, but I prefer to put temp files in the temp
folder, and local settings in the local settings folder.

(david)

news:496ca333$(E-Mail Removed)...