FBA Generic Command requests reboot. When does the reboot happen?

Mark K Vallevand

      18th Nov 2004
I have an FBA Generic Command with phase 12001 that has reboot=true. Will
this reboot occur after phase 12001, or after all post-12000 phases?

What if I have another FBA Generic Command with phase 12002 that has
reboot=true. Will a reboot occur twice?

How about with phases less than 12000?

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand

Nandini Shenoy

      18th Nov 2004
Mark

The reboot happens upon successful completion of the generic command at phase 12001. If you have 2 generic commands at 2 different phases ,each having a reboot,
then reboot occurs twice .

Nandini[MS]

KM

      18th Nov 2004
Mark,

Knowing the fact that there are some known issues with phases > 12000 this would require testing.

But it was not clear to me what you asked about.
You have:
FBA Generic command (phase 12001) with Reboot=True, this will reboot the device when FBA gets to run this command (phase 12001).
Not earlier, not later.
A second FBA Generic command (phase 12002) with Reboot=True, this will reboot the device again when FBA gets to run this command
(phase 12002).

So, a reboot will occur twice.

FBA commands with phases less the 12001 should not be affected by the FBA commands with phases >= 12001.

Does this help?

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

> I have an FBA Generic Command with phase 12001 that has reboot=true. Will
> this reboot occur after phase 12001, or after all post-12000 phases?
>
> What if I have another FBA Generic Command with phase 12002 that has
> reboot=true. Will a reboot occur twice?
>
> How about with phases less than 12000?
>
> --
> Regards.
> Mark K Vallevand

Mark K Vallevand

      18th Nov 2004
Great. Thanks to both responders.

I just noticed something odd. The FBA Generic Command I have at phase 12099
is executing during the initial FBA. I thought that 12000 and higher were
executed after the fbreseal if you set cmiResealPhase to 0 in the System
Cloning Tool component.

What am I missing?

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand

KM

      18th Nov 2004
Mark,

This is what I mentioned by "some known issues".
IIRC, if you set up a manual reseal, there are some weird behavior (call time) of the command with phases >= 12000.

I don't recall exactly now what were the odds but your one sounds similar to what we have seen.

Anyway, you would probably need to play with it by yourself a bit.
Always check FBALog to see when your command got called. Also, watch on [HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\FBA]
subkeys. You will see your command there.

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

> Great. Thanks to both responders.
>
> I just noticed something odd. The FBA Generic Command I have at phase 12099
> is executing during the initial FBA. I thought that 12000 and higher were
> executed after the fbreseal if you set cmiResealPhase to 0 in the System
> Cloning Tool component.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> --
> Regards.
> Mark K Vallevand

Mark K Vallevand

      19th Nov 2004
So,
if { manualReseal && phase>12000 ) maybeIssues = true;

Could some of the issues be executing the FBA commands out-of-order?

I'll check the registry after I rebuild with my latest changes. I have
several commands that I need to execute after reseal when a cloned image is
first booting. After all of these commands have completed, I want to commit
and restart. On the headless device I'm using, this should only look like a
slow first boot, which all customers are aware of. They won't know that
there might be a reboot happening. When they can see the device is actually
running after this first boot, they know subsequent boots will be quick.

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand
"KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark,
>
> This is what I mentioned by "some known issues".
> IIRC, if you set up a manual reseal, there are some weird behavior (call

time) of the command with phases >= 12000.

> I don't recall exactly now what were the odds but your one sounds similar

to what we have seen.

> Anyway, you would probably need to play with it by yourself a bit.
> Always check FBALog to see when your command got called. Also, watch on

[HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\FBA]
> subkeys. You will see your command there.
>
> --
> Regards,
> KM, BSquare Corp.
>

> > Great. Thanks to both responders.
> >
> > I just noticed something odd. The FBA Generic Command I have at phase

12099
> > is executing during the initial FBA. I thought that 12000 and higher

were
> > executed after the fbreseal if you set cmiResealPhase to 0 in the System
> > Cloning Tool component.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > --
> > Regards.
> > Mark K Vallevand

KM

      19th Nov 2004
Mark,

I agree with the "if" statement you drew below :-)

Anyway, if you can't get FBA working properly with the post-reseal commands, consider having your command in a self-cleaning batch
file that will execute whatever you need included something like reboot.exe.

On one of my systems I ended up with similar solution (that was not because of the FBA issues, though).

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

> So,
> if { manualReseal && phase>12000 ) maybeIssues = true;
>
> Could some of the issues be executing the FBA commands out-of-order?
>
> I'll check the registry after I rebuild with my latest changes. I have
> several commands that I need to execute after reseal when a cloned image is
> first booting. After all of these commands have completed, I want to commit
> and restart. On the headless device I'm using, this should only look like a
> slow first boot, which all customers are aware of. They won't know that
> there might be a reboot happening. When they can see the device is actually
> running after this first boot, they know subsequent boots will be quick.
>
> --
> Regards.
> Mark K Vallevand
> "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mark,
> >
> > This is what I mentioned by "some known issues".
> > IIRC, if you set up a manual reseal, there are some weird behavior (call

> time) of the command with phases >= 12000.
> >
> > I don't recall exactly now what were the odds but your one sounds similar

> to what we have seen.
> >
> > Anyway, you would probably need to play with it by yourself a bit.
> > Always check FBALog to see when your command got called. Also, watch on

> [HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\FBA]
> > subkeys. You will see your command there.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > KM, BSquare Corp.
> >

> > > Great. Thanks to both responders.
> > >
> > > I just noticed something odd. The FBA Generic Command I have at phase

> 12099
> > > is executing during the initial FBA. I thought that 12000 and higher

> were
> > > executed after the fbreseal if you set cmiResealPhase to 0 in the System
> > > Cloning Tool component.
> > >
> > > What am I missing?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards.
> > > Mark K Vallevand

Mark K Vallevand

      19th Nov 2004
The problem with batch files is that you can't get them to run unless you
log in. Or, run them as FBA commands.

I checked my latest build. The registry looks good for my phase 12098 and
12099 FBA commands. They execute as phase 11999.1 and 11999.2 apparently.
The FBA log file clearly shows them executing at the wrong time.

Arrrg. This explains so much.

Please! Does anyone know how to get Manual Reseal and FBA phase>12000
commands to work?

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand
"KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark,
>
> I agree with the "if" statement you drew below :-)
>
> Anyway, if you can't get FBA working properly with the post-reseal

commands, consider having your command in a self-cleaning batch
> file that will execute whatever you need included something like

reboot.exe.

> On one of my systems I ended up with similar solution (that was not

because of the FBA issues, though).

> --
> Regards,
> KM, BSquare Corp.
>

> > So,
> > if { manualReseal && phase>12000 ) maybeIssues = true;
> >
> > Could some of the issues be executing the FBA commands out-of-order?
> >
> > I'll check the registry after I rebuild with my latest changes. I have
> > several commands that I need to execute after reseal when a cloned image

is
> > first booting. After all of these commands have completed, I want to

commit
> > and restart. On the headless device I'm using, this should only look

like a
> > slow first boot, which all customers are aware of. They won't know that
> > there might be a reboot happening. When they can see the device is

actually
> > running after this first boot, they know subsequent boots will be quick.
> >
> > --
> > Regards.
> > Mark K Vallevand
> > "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Mark,
> > >
> > > This is what I mentioned by "some known issues".
> > > IIRC, if you set up a manual reseal, there are some weird behavior

(call
> > time) of the command with phases >= 12000.
> > >
> > > I don't recall exactly now what were the odds but your one sounds

similar
> > to what we have seen.
> > >
> > > Anyway, you would probably need to play with it by yourself a bit.
> > > Always check FBALog to see when your command got called. Also, watch

on
> > [HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\FBA]
> > > subkeys. You will see your command there.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > KM, BSquare Corp.

phase
> > 12099

higher
> > were

System

KM

      19th Nov 2004
Mark,

> The problem with batch files is that you can't get them to run unless you
> log in. Or, run them as FBA commands.

Absolutely. That is why I always combine such solutions with using Autologon.
The batch:
- autologons to admin (or user, depending on the needs),
- does whatever it needs to,
- cleans up itself from StartUp items (or where you have it),
- logs off or reboots the machine and it is done.

> I checked my latest build. The registry looks good for my phase 12098 and
> 12099 FBA commands. They execute as phase 11999.1 and 11999.2 apparently.
> The FBA log file clearly shows them executing at the wrong time.
>
> Arrrg. This explains so much.

Yup.

> Please! Does anyone know how to get Manual Reseal and FBA phase>12000
> commands to work?
>
> --
> Regards.
> Mark K Vallevand
> "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mark,
> >
> > I agree with the "if" statement you drew below :-)
> >
> > Anyway, if you can't get FBA working properly with the post-reseal

> commands, consider having your command in a self-cleaning batch
> > file that will execute whatever you need included something like

> reboot.exe.
> >
> > On one of my systems I ended up with similar solution (that was not

> because of the FBA issues, though).
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > KM, BSquare Corp.
> >

> > > So,
> > > if { manualReseal && phase>12000 ) maybeIssues = true;
> > >
> > > Could some of the issues be executing the FBA commands out-of-order?
> > >
> > > I'll check the registry after I rebuild with my latest changes. I have
> > > several commands that I need to execute after reseal when a cloned image

> is
> > > first booting. After all of these commands have completed, I want to

> commit
> > > and restart. On the headless device I'm using, this should only look

> like a
> > > slow first boot, which all customers are aware of. They won't know that
> > > there might be a reboot happening. When they can see the device is

> actually
> > > running after this first boot, they know subsequent boots will be quick.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards.
> > > Mark K Vallevand
> > > "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> (call
> > > time) of the command with phases >= 12000.

> similar
> > > to what we have seen.

> on
> > > [HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\FBA]

> phase
> > > 12099

> higher
> > > were

> System

Mark K Vallevand

      19th Nov 2004
I wonder if we are all mis-understanding how FBA and fbreseal works.

It looks like if the reseal phase is set to 0 in the System Cloning Tool
component, all it does is prevent automatic reseal. All phases of FBA will
run. The number 12000 has no meaning other than the default value of the
reseal phase in the System Cloning Tool component. If the reseal phase is
set to a non-zero value, I think it simply means that the image is resealed
at that phase and FBA stops. When rebooted, FBA continues at that phase
until all phases are complete. I don't think there is a way to set manual
reseal AND pause FBA at 12000 AND continue FBA after reseal completes.

Has anyone ever gotten manual reseal and FBA to work as I described it?

I want manual reseal, with FBA pause before phase 12000, and FBA continue at
phase 12000 after fbreseal. I say it can't be done.