FaxStartPrintJob not working in XP?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFjaw==?=

      26th Oct 2004
My WIN32 app uses FaxStartPrintJob to obtain a printer device context so it
can send a fax without needing to prompt the user for address information.
This works fine in W2000, but stopped working in XP. Stepping through the
app, The FaxStartPrintJob seems to return a valid device context in the
FAX_PRINT_INFO structure, and all of the other GDI output operations,
including StartPage, EndPage and EndDoc appear to work without errors. But
the fax is not queued.

The fax driver works fine when used as a regular printer driver (i.e. with
the user interface prompting for an addressee.)

I've tested in XP Pro SP1 and XP Home SP2.

Am looking for some suggestion on how to debug.
--
Jack McGregor
MicroSabio

Chandrasekar [MSFT]

      4th Nov 2004
Can you please tell us whether you are printing to a local printer or a
remote printer? Also can you please check in the event viewer for any events
logged?
One case where we have seen a similar behavior is when you TS into a box and
then print using FaxStartPrintJob. Are you by any chance TS'ed into the
machine in which you are testing?

Also you can use the PrintSDI sample that is provided along with Microsoft
SDK to try and send faxes using FaxStartPrintJob and cross check.

Thanks,
--
Chandrasekar R
purposes only.

> My WIN32 app uses FaxStartPrintJob to obtain a printer device context so
> it
> can send a fax without needing to prompt the user for address information.
> This works fine in W2000, but stopped working in XP. Stepping through the
> app, The FaxStartPrintJob seems to return a valid device context in the
> FAX_PRINT_INFO structure, and all of the other GDI output operations,
> including StartPage, EndPage and EndDoc appear to work without errors.
> But
> the fax is not queued.
>
> The fax driver works fine when used as a regular printer driver (i.e. with
> the user interface prompting for an addressee.)
>
> I've tested in XP Pro SP1 and XP Home SP2.
>
> Am looking for some suggestion on how to debug.
> --
> Jack McGregor
> MicroSabio

yanalex

      21st Jan 2005
Hi Jack !

I have the same problem in Windows 2003 Server (SP1 from 08/08/2004).
FaxStartPrintJob and other functions don't return any errors but fax
messages don't get into outbox (this code works perfectly for Windows 2000
Server). At that application log gives an error for each message:

The fax was not submitted successfully.

The following error occurred: 1630.
This error code indicates the cause of the error.

Sender Machine Name: \\WKSYANALEX.
Sender User Name: yanalex.
Sender Name: Alexander Yaniushkin.
Number of Recipients: 1.

All my attempts to solve this problem were unavailing.
The problem has also been described in
http://www.adminlife.com/247referenc...20/103233.aspx
--
Alexander Yaniushkin

[...]

      27th Jan 2005
I've solved my problem.

When you fill the FAX_PRINT_INFO structure before the FaxStartPrintJob()
call under Windows 2000 Server you can set empty fields in either NULL or
empty string; but under Windows 2003 Server (and I think also under
Windows XP) you can set them only to NULL, empty strings are not admitted.
If some of the structure members has been set to an empty string, then you
get the "fax was not successfully submitted" error.
I think this problem also affects the FAX_COVERPAGE_INFO structure.