Fax via Internet

Eckhardt Newger

      30th Nov 2004
Hi,

so far I use WinFax Pro 10.02 to send/receive faxes via ISDN.

Recently, I installed a small home LAN which connects through a router
to the Internet using a permanent DSL connection.

Does anybody know a software running on Windows XP Pro (standalone
program or addin to Office 2003, but not an external provider service)
to send faxes from Outlook 2003 and/or Word 2003 and receive faxes in
Outlook 2003 using this new connection (TCP/IP network adapter -->
router --> DSL modem --> Internet)?

So far as I can see, WinFax Pro just offers the "classical" modem or
ISDN way. I've searched the net, but didn't find anything which meets
what I'm looking for.

Many thanks in advance for any hint.

Eckhardt Newger

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      30th Nov 2004
You want to send faxes over the Internet without hiring a provider? Not
bloody likely.
Outlook 2003 has a number of Internet Fax providers with which it can
integrate, but you'll have to pay for it. Just go to File > New > Internet
Fax to get a list of providers.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Eckhardt Newger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> so far I use WinFax Pro 10.02 to send/receive faxes via ISDN.
>
> Recently, I installed a small home LAN which connects through a router
> to the Internet using a permanent DSL connection.
>
> Does anybody know a software running on Windows XP Pro (standalone
> program or addin to Office 2003, but not an external provider service)
> to send faxes from Outlook 2003 and/or Word 2003 and receive faxes in
> Outlook 2003 using this new connection (TCP/IP network adapter -->
> router --> DSL modem --> Internet)?
>
> So far as I can see, WinFax Pro just offers the "classical" modem or
> ISDN way. I've searched the net, but didn't find anything which meets
> what I'm looking for.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any hint.
>
> Eckhardt Newger

Eckhardt Newger

      30th Nov 2004
Hi Russ,

thanks for your prompt reply.

So there is no public SW available which does what those Internet fax
providers do (e. g. taking an email and converting it into a modem
call, and vice versa)? Sounds not too complicated, and wouldn't be
those services much more expensive, if so?

My alternative is to change the Winfax Pro installation to Fax Server
Mode, i. e. connect the fax server to ISDN, the clients connect via LAN
to the fax server.

Two disadvantages:

1. Additional cable connection fax server <--> ISDN adapter (I hate
cables; in fact, my LAN is a Wireless LAN)
2. The fax server must be on to send faxes from a client.

Do you know if there is anything "in the pipeline" which will meet my
request?

Ciao

Eckhardt Newger

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You want to send faxes over the Internet without hiring a provider? Not
> bloody likely.
> Outlook 2003 has a number of Internet Fax providers with which it can
> integrate, but you'll have to pay for it. Just go to File > New > Internet
> Fax to get a list of providers.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Eckhardt Newger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> so far I use WinFax Pro 10.02 to send/receive faxes via ISDN.
>>
>> Recently, I installed a small home LAN which connects through a router
>> to the Internet using a permanent DSL connection.
>>
>> Does anybody know a software running on Windows XP Pro (standalone
>> program or addin to Office 2003, but not an external provider service)
>> to send faxes from Outlook 2003 and/or Word 2003 and receive faxes in
>> Outlook 2003 using this new connection (TCP/IP network adapter -->
>> router --> DSL modem --> Internet)?
>>
>> So far as I can see, WinFax Pro just offers the "classical" modem or
>> ISDN way. I've searched the net, but didn't find anything which meets
>> what I'm looking for.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for any hint.
>>
>> Eckhardt Newger

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      1st Dec 2004
I know of no such products in the pipeline. Taking an email message,
converting it to fax message then dialing the recipient(s) most of whom are
long distance is not really such a small or inexpensive task, especially for
broadcast faxing. I have serious doubts about WinFax Pro given Symantec's
inability to keep their software functional with either Windows XP or
Outlook. I do know that Microsoft continues to look at this area but seems
to have a hard time figuring out whether to jump in with both feet or not. I
did get a chance to look at Windows 2003 Server Fax very briefly. Nice
product. I'll be anxious to see what Longhorn brings.