fax/scan for Vista Home Premium

shanna

      2nd Mar 2009

I agree totally. Microsoft has NO idea what their customers want.
Ability for fax should be there, period.
I hate this firm.

Donald

      7th Jun 2009
For months I have been dogging my PC Manufacturer and the makers of the three
all-in-one (printer/scan/fax/copy) units I've gone through for their lack of
interest in my inability to scan to a fax, e-mail or just a plain file
document or picture. I see why so many of my friends (son & sister included)
have gone Mac. I'm not sure I can continue to stand tall and support you
much longer after taking away a function so basic to every computer user.

Donald

"Ree" wrote:

> I'm thoroughly DISGUSTED with MicroSoft for removing this feature from the
> program. I used this feature frequently. If I had known this prior to
> recently purchasing this system and upgrade--I probably would not have.
>
> Microsoft, you've gotten so big that you seem to feel it's okay to 'dog-out'
> your loyal customers without any negative ramifications to you. NOT COOL!!!!
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...print_fax_scan

Dave

      7th Jun 2009
You're not supporting anyone here... we're all users like yourself.

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Donald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For months I have been dogging my PC Manufacturer and the makers of the
> three
> all-in-one (printer/scan/fax/copy) units I've gone through for their lack
> of
> interest in my inability to scan to a fax, e-mail or just a plain file
> document or picture. I see why so many of my friends (son & sister
> included)
> have gone Mac. I'm not sure I can continue to stand tall and support you
> much longer after taking away a function so basic to every computer user.
>
> Donald
>

> "Ree" wrote:
>
>> I'm thoroughly DISGUSTED with MicroSoft for removing this feature from
>> the
>> program. I used this feature frequently. If I had known this prior to
>> recently purchasing this system and upgrade--I probably would not have.
>>
>> Microsoft, you've gotten so big that you seem to feel it's okay to
>> 'dog-out'
>> your loyal customers without any negative ramifications to you. NOT
>> COOL!!!!
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...print_fax_scan

DL

      7th Jun 2009
You've not supplied any info for anyone to help
FWIW printer/scan/fax/copy works fine on both my winxp & Vista PC's

"Donald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For months I have been dogging my PC Manufacturer and the makers of the
> three
> all-in-one (printer/scan/fax/copy) units I've gone through for their lack
> of
> interest in my inability to scan to a fax, e-mail or just a plain file
> document or picture. I see why so many of my friends (son & sister
> included)
> have gone Mac. I'm not sure I can continue to stand tall and support you
> much longer after taking away a function so basic to every computer user.
>
> Donald
>

> "Ree" wrote:
>
>> I'm thoroughly DISGUSTED with MicroSoft for removing this feature from
>> the
>> program. I used this feature frequently. If I had known this prior to
>> recently purchasing this system and upgrade--I probably would not have.
>>
>> Microsoft, you've gotten so big that you seem to feel it's okay to
>> 'dog-out'
>> your loyal customers without any negative ramifications to you. NOT
>> COOL!!!!
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...print_fax_scan

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      7th Jun 2009
Microsoft took nothing away from you. The only thing Microsoft did was
remove its analog fax modem software from the less expensive versions of
Vista. That's not even what you're using. Accordingly, your post has nothing
at all to do with Vista or Microsoft. It has only to do with your third
party AIO products.
So stand tall. Read the manuals. Ask the manufacturers for support if you
don't understand them. Your issue is 100% end user error.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Donald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For months I have been dogging my PC Manufacturer and the makers of the
> three
> all-in-one (printer/scan/fax/copy) units I've gone through for their lack
> of
> interest in my inability to scan to a fax, e-mail or just a plain file
> document or picture. I see why so many of my friends (son & sister
> included)
> have gone Mac. I'm not sure I can continue to stand tall and support you
> much longer after taking away a function so basic to every computer user.
>
> Donald
>

> "Ree" wrote:
>
>> I'm thoroughly DISGUSTED with MicroSoft for removing this feature from
>> the
>> program. I used this feature frequently. If I had known this prior to
>> recently purchasing this system and upgrade--I probably would not have.
>>
>> Microsoft, you've gotten so big that you seem to feel it's okay to
>> 'dog-out'
>> your loyal customers without any negative ramifications to you. NOT
>> COOL!!!!
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...print_fax_scan

Steve Smegner

      2nd Jul 2009

No Russ you have it wrong. "Windows Fax and Scan" functionality is ONLY
included in the Enterprise and Ultimate Editions. I worked for MSFt for
nearly 10 years. They are monitizing functionality. The functionality is on
the disc but unavailable unless you key in a PID that matches an Enterprise
or Ultimate SKU. I have a fax server that works just fine on my XP and Vista
Ultimate machine. On the laptop I am typing on now I have Vista Home Premium.
When I try and use the fax server I get a prompt that fax client software is
not installed and do I want to install it. If I click Yes it pops up and
tells me some DLL is missing. The option to install the functionality is not
available in this SKU. I have to install the Ultimate Edition on this machine
before that functionality becomes available. I went through this on my other
Vista machines that originally had Home Premium installed. Same error. Same
issue. When I entered an Ultimate PID the suddenly the machine would find the
missing DLL and install the functionality.

This has nothing to do with 3rd party vendor fax products or software.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Microsoft took nothing away from you. The only thing Microsoft did was
> remove its analog fax modem software from the less expensive versions of
> Vista. That's not even what you're using. Accordingly, your post has nothing
> at all to do with Vista or Microsoft. It has only to do with your third
> party AIO products.
> So stand tall. Read the manuals. Ask the manufacturers for support if you
> don't understand them. Your issue is 100% end user error.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Donald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > For months I have been dogging my PC Manufacturer and the makers of the
> > three
> > all-in-one (printer/scan/fax/copy) units I've gone through for their lack
> > of
> > interest in my inability to scan to a fax, e-mail or just a plain file
> > document or picture. I see why so many of my friends (son & sister
> > included)
> > have gone Mac. I'm not sure I can continue to stand tall and support you
> > much longer after taking away a function so basic to every computer user.
> >
> > Donald
> >

> > "Ree" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm thoroughly DISGUSTED with MicroSoft for removing this feature from
> >> the
> >> program. I used this feature frequently. If I had known this prior to
> >> recently purchasing this system and upgrade--I probably would not have.
> >>
> >> Microsoft, you've gotten so big that you seem to feel it's okay to
> >> 'dog-out'
> >> your loyal customers without any negative ramifications to you. NOT
> >> COOL!!!!
> >>
> >> ----------------
> >> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> >> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
> >> "I
> >> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
> >> this
> >> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
> >> then
> >> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...print_fax_scan

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      2nd Jul 2009

Wake up. AIO support has never had anything to do with the Windows Fax
module. Everyone knows full well which Vista versions include fax support
for standalone fax modems. No need to restate the obvious.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Steve Smegner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No Russ you have it wrong. "Windows Fax and Scan" functionality is ONLY
> included in the Enterprise and Ultimate Editions. I worked for MSFt for
> nearly 10 years. They are monitizing functionality. The functionality is
> on
> the disc but unavailable unless you key in a PID that matches an
> Enterprise
> or Ultimate SKU. I have a fax server that works just fine on my XP and
> Vista
> Ultimate machine. On the laptop I am typing on now I have Vista Home
> Premium.
> When I try and use the fax server I get a prompt that fax client software
> is
> not installed and do I want to install it. If I click Yes it pops up and
> tells me some DLL is missing. The option to install the functionality is
> not
> available in this SKU. I have to install the Ultimate Edition on this
> machine
> before that functionality becomes available. I went through this on my
> other
> Vista machines that originally had Home Premium installed. Same error.
> Same
> issue. When I entered an Ultimate PID the suddenly the machine would find
> the
> missing DLL and install the functionality.
>
> This has nothing to do with 3rd party vendor fax products or software.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Microsoft took nothing away from you. The only thing Microsoft did was
>> remove its analog fax modem software from the less expensive versions of
>> Vista. That's not even what you're using. Accordingly, your post has
>> nothing
>> at all to do with Vista or Microsoft. It has only to do with your third
>> party AIO products.
>> So stand tall. Read the manuals. Ask the manufacturers for support if you
>> don't understand them. Your issue is 100% end user error.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Donald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > For months I have been dogging my PC Manufacturer and the makers of the
>> > three
>> > all-in-one (printer/scan/fax/copy) units I've gone through for their
>> > lack
>> > of
>> > interest in my inability to scan to a fax, e-mail or just a plain file
>> > document or picture. I see why so many of my friends (son & sister
>> > included)
>> > have gone Mac. I'm not sure I can continue to stand tall and support
>> > you
>> > much longer after taking away a function so basic to every computer
>> > user.
>> >
>> > Donald

Steve Smegner

      3rd Jul 2009

I am wide awake and know of what I speak.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../fax-scan.aspx is
pretty clear. I stated I had a fax server and could not use it in Vista Home
edition. It had nothing to do with fax modems analog or otherwise. Whenever I
try to access the remote fax server (fax print function) from Vista Home I am
directed to the Windows Fax and Scan function which is not available in Vista
Home. Microsoft has decided that the average home user would not need the
capability to scan or fax. Since Enterprise SKU is not available to consumers
only the Ultimate Edition is available for the home user to fax and scan. And
that requires paying much more than the average price for Vista Home.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Wake up. AIO support has never had anything to do with the Windows Fax
> module. Everyone knows full well which Vista versions include fax support
> for standalone fax modems. No need to restate the obvious.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Steve Smegner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > No Russ you have it wrong. "Windows Fax and Scan" functionality is ONLY
> > included in the Enterprise and Ultimate Editions. I worked for MSFt for
> > nearly 10 years. They are monitizing functionality. The functionality is
> > on
> > the disc but unavailable unless you key in a PID that matches an
> > Enterprise
> > or Ultimate SKU. I have a fax server that works just fine on my XP and
> > Vista
> > Ultimate machine. On the laptop I am typing on now I have Vista Home
> > Premium.
> > When I try and use the fax server I get a prompt that fax client software
> > is
> > not installed and do I want to install it. If I click Yes it pops up and
> > tells me some DLL is missing. The option to install the functionality is
> > not
> > available in this SKU. I have to install the Ultimate Edition on this
> > machine
> > before that functionality becomes available. I went through this on my
> > other
> > Vista machines that originally had Home Premium installed. Same error.
> > Same
> > issue. When I entered an Ultimate PID the suddenly the machine would find
> > the
> > missing DLL and install the functionality.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with 3rd party vendor fax products or software.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Microsoft took nothing away from you. The only thing Microsoft did was
> >> remove its analog fax modem software from the less expensive versions of
> >> Vista. That's not even what you're using. Accordingly, your post has
> >> nothing
> >> at all to do with Vista or Microsoft. It has only to do with your third
> >> party AIO products.
> >> So stand tall. Read the manuals. Ask the manufacturers for support if you
> >> don't understand them. Your issue is 100% end user error.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Donald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      3rd Jul 2009

Quite well known to everyone here and not the topic of this thread. Exactly
what was your point? What did you think you were correcting?
--
> [...]
>> > is
>> > not installed and do I want to install it. If I click Yes it pops up
>> > and
>> > tells me some DLL is missing. The option to install the functionality
>> > is
>> > not
>> > available in this SKU. I have to install the Ultimate Edition on this
>> > machine
>> > before that functionality becomes available. I went through this on my
>> > other
>> > Vista machines that originally had Home Premium installed. Same error.
>> > Same
>> > issue. When I entered an Ultimate PID the suddenly the machine would
>> > find
>> > the
>> > missing DLL and install the functionality.
>> >
>> > This has nothing to do with 3rd party vendor fax products or software.

This thread is about a complaint that Microsoft removed Windows Fax and Scan
from Vista Home Premium. My post is spot on because it covers that topic.

Your post of:
Microsoft took nothing away from you. The only thing Microsoft did was
remove its analog fax modem software from the less expensive versions of
Vista. That's not even what you're using. Accordingly, your post has nothing
at all to do with Vista or Microsoft. It has only to do with your third
party AIO products.
So stand tall. Read the manuals. Ask the manufacturers for support if you
don't understand them. Your issue is 100% end user error.

Is off topic because you claim that Microsoft took nothing away from you and
pointed to some 3rd party vendor as the problem. Microsoft DID take away
Windows fax and scan from the Vista Home sku's as compared to the XP Home
sku's which is what the original poster was complaining about. Pointing the
finger at the user for not reading the fine print or to 3rd party AOI
products is misleading and false. Even if I install a fax modem (which I
tried on my machine) Vista home SKu's will work just fine with the modem for
connecting to the Internet. However it is missing the pieces allow faxing to
work through that same modem unless you move to Ultimate or a business SKU.

Don't chastise people for complaining that Microsoft removed functionality
and make you pay a lot more bucks to get it when that is exactly what they
did.