Fax Mail Transport in Outlook 2007 doesn't work w/ Remote Desktop

Jeremy B

      16th Feb 2010
After installing The Remote Desktop Hosting Service role on Windows 2008 R2
the Outlook 20007 Fax Mail Transport no longer works. I get an error message
saying "The Microsoft Fax transport failed to deliver the message to the
recipient. The message does not contain any content" whenever I try to fax
something with an attachment.

I can use the Windows Fax & Scanner Wizard and Fax Printer to send faxes but
faxing through Outlook no longer works.. If I uninstall the RDHS role
Outlook can fax again..

Fax Mail Transport normally converts the attachment to a .tiff file by
running a command in the printto key associated w/ the file extension and
then directs it to the fax printer however with RDHS installed the
application is never launched.. No data is sent to the fax printer, I suspect
thats why I get "The message does not contain any content"

To Replicate:
Install RDHS on Windows 2008 R2
Create email addressed to a Fax Contact
Attach a document (.txt file for example)
No Subject, No Body.. Hit Send.

Thoughts? Could this be permissions or restrictions related? I'm logged in
as the Administrator and tried "Run as Administrator" Same deal..

Russ Valentine

      16th Feb 2010
Not an Outlook issue. Post in a group that supports your Server software.

--
Russ Valentine

"Jeremy B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing The Remote Desktop Hosting Service role on Windows 2008
> R2
> the Outlook 20007 Fax Mail Transport no longer works. I get an error
> message
> saying "The Microsoft Fax transport failed to deliver the message to the
> recipient. The message does not contain any content" whenever I try to fax
> something with an attachment.
>
> I can use the Windows Fax & Scanner Wizard and Fax Printer to send faxes
> but
> faxing through Outlook no longer works.. If I uninstall the RDHS role
> Outlook can fax again..
>
> Fax Mail Transport normally converts the attachment to a .tiff file by
> running a command in the printto key associated w/ the file extension and
> then directs it to the fax printer however with RDHS installed the
> application is never launched.. No data is sent to the fax printer, I
> suspect
> thats why I get "The message does not contain any content"
>

> To Replicate:
> Install RDHS on Windows 2008 R2
> Create email addressed to a Fax Contact
> Attach a document (.txt file for example)
> No Subject, No Body.. Hit Send.
>
> Thoughts? Could this be permissions or restrictions related? I'm logged in
> as the Administrator and tried "Run as Administrator" Same deal..

Russ Valentine

      16th Feb 2010
To find the information you need to post, try sending this document from the
Fax Console and note the error messages.

--
Russ Valentine

"Jeremy B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing The Remote Desktop Hosting Service role on Windows 2008
> R2
> the Outlook 20007 Fax Mail Transport no longer works. I get an error
> message
> saying "The Microsoft Fax transport failed to deliver the message to the
> recipient. The message does not contain any content" whenever I try to fax
> something with an attachment.
>
> I can use the Windows Fax & Scanner Wizard and Fax Printer to send faxes
> but
> faxing through Outlook no longer works.. If I uninstall the RDHS role
> Outlook can fax again..
>
> Fax Mail Transport normally converts the attachment to a .tiff file by
> running a command in the printto key associated w/ the file extension and
> then directs it to the fax printer however with RDHS installed the
> application is never launched.. No data is sent to the fax printer, I
> suspect
> thats why I get "The message does not contain any content"
>

> To Replicate:
> Install RDHS on Windows 2008 R2
> Create email addressed to a Fax Contact
> Attach a document (.txt file for example)
> No Subject, No Body.. Hit Send.
>
> Thoughts? Could this be permissions or restrictions related? I'm logged in
> as the Administrator and tried "Run as Administrator" Same deal..

Jeremy B

      17th Feb 2010

It works fine via the Faxing Wizard.. Funny thing is the people in the Remote
Desktop Services forum said its an issue w/ Outlook post here..

"Russ Valentine" wrote:

> To find the information you need to post, try sending this document from the
> Fax Console and note the error messages.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
>
> "Jeremy B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After installing The Remote Desktop Hosting Service role on Windows 2008
> > R2
> > the Outlook 20007 Fax Mail Transport no longer works. I get an error
> > message
> > saying "The Microsoft Fax transport failed to deliver the message to the
> > recipient. The message does not contain any content" whenever I try to fax
> > something with an attachment.
> >
> > I can use the Windows Fax & Scanner Wizard and Fax Printer to send faxes
> > but
> > faxing through Outlook no longer works.. If I uninstall the RDHS role
> > Outlook can fax again..
> >
> > Fax Mail Transport normally converts the attachment to a .tiff file by
> > running a command in the printto key associated w/ the file extension and
> > then directs it to the fax printer however with RDHS installed the
> > application is never launched.. No data is sent to the fax printer, I
> > suspect
> > thats why I get "The message does not contain any content"
> >

> > To Replicate:
> > Install RDHS on Windows 2008 R2
> > Create email addressed to a Fax Contact
> > Attach a document (.txt file for example)
> > No Subject, No Body.. Hit Send.
> >
> > Thoughts? Could this be permissions or restrictions related? I'm logged in
> > as the Administrator and tried "Run as Administrator" Same deal..

Russ Valentine

      17th Feb 2010
What file type is this and how are you sending it?

--
Russ Valentine

"Jeremy B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It works fine via the Faxing Wizard.. Funny thing is the people in the
> Remote
> Desktop Services forum said its an issue w/ Outlook post here..
>
> "Russ Valentine" wrote:
>
>> To find the information you need to post, try sending this document from
>> the
>> Fax Console and note the error messages.
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>>
>> "Jeremy B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > After installing The Remote Desktop Hosting Service role on Windows
>> > 2008
>> > R2
>> > the Outlook 20007 Fax Mail Transport no longer works. I get an error
>> > message
>> > saying "The Microsoft Fax transport failed to deliver the message to
>> > the
>> > recipient. The message does not contain any content" whenever I try to
>> > fax
>> > something with an attachment.
>> >
>> > I can use the Windows Fax & Scanner Wizard and Fax Printer to send
>> > faxes
>> > but
>> > faxing through Outlook no longer works.. If I uninstall the RDHS role
>> > Outlook can fax again..
>> >
>> > Fax Mail Transport normally converts the attachment to a .tiff file by
>> > running a command in the printto key associated w/ the file extension
>> > and
>> > then directs it to the fax printer however with RDHS installed the
>> > application is never launched.. No data is sent to the fax printer, I
>> > suspect
>> > thats why I get "The message does not contain any content"
>> >

>> > To Replicate:
>> > Install RDHS on Windows 2008 R2
>> > Create email addressed to a Fax Contact
>> > Attach a document (.txt file for example)
>> > No Subject, No Body.. Hit Send.
>> >
>> > Thoughts? Could this be permissions or restrictions related? I'm logged
>> > in
>> > as the Administrator and tried "Run as Administrator" Same deal..

Russ Valentine

      17th Feb 2010
If uninstalling RDHS fixes the issue, it's hard to say it's an Outlook
issue.