Far Cry demo tweaks?

Wblane

      27th Apr 2004
I've got a Barton running at 2346 Mhz (202 Mhz FSB) on an NF7sv2.0 w/a 9800 Pro
and I can't run the Far Cry demo smoothly even at 1024x768 (all details maxed).
I have my AF set to 16x forced on my Cat 4.4's on 98SE. Is this what's slowing
the Far Cry demo down to a crawl? The game just has points where it lags bad
for about a second then clears up and runs fine.

Does the actual, released Far Cry game run any better than the demo?

Dodgy

      27th Apr 2004
On 27 Apr 2004 14:34:27 GMT, http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)otizer (Wblane) waffled on
about something:

>I've got a Barton running at 2346 Mhz (202 Mhz FSB) on an NF7sv2.0 w/a 9800 Pro
>and I can't run the Far Cry demo smoothly even at 1024x768 (all details maxed).
>I have my AF set to 16x forced on my Cat 4.4's on 98SE. Is this what's slowing
>the Far Cry demo down to a crawl? The game just has points where it lags bad
>for about a second then clears up and runs fine.
>
>Does the actual, released Far Cry game run any better than the demo?
>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

Loose the AF.

I never played the demo on my machine, but the full release is
stunning on my P4c-3.0 and AIW 9800SE (Unlocked pipes, so it's a
9800pro) cat 4.3. I have 1 gig of ram and I've been told that helps.

I let it auto detect my hardware (it detected I have a monster game
machine) and just ran at the max setting is selected.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

johns

      27th Apr 2004
Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
what you have? What is a Barton? Why are you running
on W98SE? There's your problem. 98 runs mostly in
software mode no matter what hardware you have. I
have an ATI Radeon 9000 pro, and both the game
and demo run fine. Autodetect put it in low settings
with one medium, but it looks great, and the frame
rate is fine. CPU is AMD 2000XT, Gigabyte mobo,
and 500meg ram. OS WinXPHome. Am using the
latest catalyst drivers for XP, and that did make a big
difference on the 9000. I've tested a 9200, and the
new drivers are needed there too. I just built a P4
system with an ATI 9600XT, and it autodetected
to medium settings all. Really looks good, esp the
surf and wind in the palm trees and brush. Entire
game moved up a level regards special effects, but
overall, the game play is the same. Something I've
learned over the years doing this. If you have an out
of order weirdie going on, 99% of the time, it is something
like the data cable to the hard drive is not fully seated,
or is just bad. I don't know why, but the general apps
and the OS will run normal, but hot games absolutely
will not run if your data cable is bad or noisy.

johns

cK-Gunslinger

      27th Apr 2004

johns wrote:
> Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
> what you have?

Oddly enough I understood *everything* in the original poster's message,
but not so much in yours.

> What is a Barton?

I think most people "in the know" realize that a "Barton" is an AMD
Athlon XP CPU with the newest core (333MHz FSB and 512k L2 cache.)

> Why are you running
> on W98SE? There's your problem. 98 runs mostly in
> software mode no matter what hardware you have.

Wow. What the hell are you talking about? I don't even have a response
to this drivel.

> have an ATI Radeon 9000 pro, and both the game
> and demo run fine. Autodetect put it in low settings
> with one medium, but it looks great, and the frame
> rate is fine. CPU is AMD 2000XT,

Wait, an AMD 2000XT? What is that? And more importantly, how does that
address the issue the orig poster had with his 9800Pro not performing
like he expects on MAX settings? Basically, all you've said is "Hey, my
hardware is totally different from yours, as well as all my game
settings. But I'm getting what I consider to be acceptable performance
on some unspecified resolution!" How very helpful of you.

> Gigabyte mobo,
> and 500meg ram.

500meg? Perhaps your mean 512MB, as ram configurations typically occur
in power of 2s.

> OS WinXPHome. Am using the
> latest catalyst drivers for XP, and that did make a big
> difference on the 9000. I've tested a 9200, and the
> new drivers are needed there too. I just built a P4
> system with an ATI 9600XT, and it autodetected
> to medium settings all. Really looks good, esp the
> surf and wind in the palm trees and brush. Entire
> game moved up a level regards special effects, but
> overall, the game play is the same. Something I've
> learned over the years doing this. If you have an out
> of order weirdie going on, 99% of the time,

I'm sorry. Were you just criticizing the previous poster for not
"speaking English?" Would you care to explain what an "out of order
weirdie" is exactly?

> it is something
> like the data cable to the hard drive is not fully seated,
> or is just bad. I don't know why, but the general apps
> and the OS will run normal, but hot games absolutely
> will not run if your data cable is bad or noisy.

Wow. Your technical experience must be far and wide-reaching for you to
reach the conclusion that "99%" of "out of order weirdies" are caused by
"hot games" running on bad or noisy hard drive cables that are not fully
seated. No wonder you get to criticize people on usenet, you've
obviously earned the respect of your peers.

--
cK

Dodgy

      27th Apr 2004
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:29:42 -0700, "johns" <(E-Mail Removed)>
waffled on about something:

>Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
>what you have?

I thought he was.

>What is a Barton?

Athlon XP, from his overclock I would assume it's an XP 3200+

>Why are you running on W98SE?

I'm amazed anyone is still able to run this! The last one I saw was so
clogged up with registry left overs, spyware etc felt like it was
running on an original XT... Oh, sorry, English... Err... very early
IBM PC that had a 4.something Mhz cpu.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Asestar

      27th Apr 2004
Perhaps the most unhelpful reply of the month..

As for problem: What is the size of pagefile for win98se you are using?.
And like many said, drop the 16x AF to something like 4X or 8X. See if that
makes the problem go away.
Disable VPU recover, see if that helps.
Is Fastwrites enabled in mobo bios? disable it.
Set agp apperture to 1 notch higher than current setting, i think that might
be the prime suspect.

"johns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6m1po$m1n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
> what you have? What is a Barton? Why are you running
> on W98SE? There's your problem. 98 runs mostly in
> software mode no matter what hardware you have. I
> have an ATI Radeon 9000 pro, and both the game
> and demo run fine. Autodetect put it in low settings
> with one medium, but it looks great, and the frame
> rate is fine. CPU is AMD 2000XT, Gigabyte mobo,
> and 500meg ram. OS WinXPHome. Am using the
> latest catalyst drivers for XP, and that did make a big
> difference on the 9000. I've tested a 9200, and the
> new drivers are needed there too. I just built a P4
> system with an ATI 9600XT, and it autodetected
> to medium settings all. Really looks good, esp the
> surf and wind in the palm trees and brush. Entire
> game moved up a level regards special effects, but
> overall, the game play is the same. Something I've
> learned over the years doing this. If you have an out
> of order weirdie going on, 99% of the time, it is something
> like the data cable to the hard drive is not fully seated,
> or is just bad. I don't know why, but the general apps
> and the OS will run normal, but hot games absolutely
> will not run if your data cable is bad or noisy.
>
> johns

Augustus

      27th Apr 2004

"johns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6m1po$m1n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
> what you have? What is a Barton? Why are you running
> on W98SE? There's your problem. 98 runs mostly in
> software mode no matter what hardware you have. I
> have an ATI Radeon 9000 pro, and both the game
> and demo run fine. Autodetect put it in low settings
> with one medium, but it looks great, and the frame
> rate is fine. CPU is AMD 2000XT, Gigabyte mobo,
> and 500meg ram. OS WinXPHome. Am using the
> latest catalyst drivers for XP, and that did make a big
> difference on the 9000. I've tested a 9200, and the
> new drivers are needed there too. I just built a P4
> system with an ATI 9600XT, and it autodetected
> to medium settings all. Really looks good, esp the
> surf and wind in the palm trees and brush. Entire
> game moved up a level regards special effects, but
> overall, the game play is the same. Something I've
> learned over the years doing this. If you have an out
> of order weirdie going on, 99% of the time, it is something
> like the data cable to the hard drive is not fully seated,
> or is just bad. I don't know why, but the general apps
> and the OS will run normal, but hot games absolutely
> will not run if your data cable is bad or noisy.
>
> johns

This reply demonstrates ignorance and a complete lack of knowledge on the
part of the poster. I especially liked the "try speaking English" opening,
followed by 10 or 12 spelling, syntax and grammar errors.

borolad@myowseintheboro.org

      27th Apr 2004
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:31:54 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o> wrote:

>Perhaps the most unhelpful reply of the month..

True it was, but ..... the O/P never stated Win98, the 98 in dispute
is an ATi 9800 Pro.

Regards, BoroLad

borolad@myowseintheboro.org

      27th Apr 2004
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:48:00 +0100, Dodgy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:29:42 -0700, "johns" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>waffled on about something:

>>Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
>>what you have?

>I thought he was.

>>What is a Barton?

>Athlon XP, from his overclock I would assume it's an XP 3200+

2500's run at 3200's on this MOBO

>>Why are you running on W98SE?

He's not, " NF7sv2.0 w/a 9800 Pro " the 9800 Pro is an ATi card and
this is an ATi group.

>I'm amazed anyone is still able to run this! The last one I saw was so
>clogged up with registry left overs, spyware etc felt like it was
>running on an original XT... Oh, sorry, English... Err... very early
>IBM PC that had a 4.something Mhz cpu.

The O/P never stated Win98

>D0d6y.

Regards, BoroLad

cK-Gunslinger

      27th Apr 2004
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:31:54 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
> . n o> wrote:
>

>>Perhaps the most unhelpful reply of the month..

> True it was, but ..... the O/P never stated Win98, the 98 in dispute
> is an ATi 9800 Pro.
>
> Regards, BoroLad

Quote the original poster: "I have my AF set to 16x forced on my Cat
4.4's on 98SE"

That would indicate to me that he *was* running Windows 98.