FAQ for swapping out motherboards?

Hellenason7

      6th Jun 2004
Is there a FAQ to help me follow the right steps when I change the
motherboard and CPU? I am about to swap out a P4T533-C for a P4800-E Deluxe
(2.26 ---> 3.0 CPU). I don't want to lose my hard drives.
Thank you very much.

DaveW

      8th Jun 2004
If you change the motherboard in an existing system, you MUST reformat the
harddrive and do a fresh install of Windows or you will get ongoing nasty
Registry errors.

--
DaveW

"Hellenason7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a FAQ to help me follow the right steps when I change

the
> motherboard and CPU? I am about to swap out a P4T533-C for a P4800-E

Deluxe
> (2.26 ---> 3.0 CPU). I don't want to lose my hard drives.
> Thank you very much.

MasterBlaster

      8th Jun 2004

"DaveW" wrote

> If you change the motherboard in an existing system, you MUST reformat the
> harddrive and do a fresh install of Windows or you will get ongoing nasty
> Registry errors.
>
> > Is there a FAQ to help me follow the right steps when I change

> the
> > motherboard and CPU? I am about to swap out a P4T533-C for a P4800-E

> Deluxe
> > (2.26 ---> 3.0 CPU). I don't want to lose my hard drives.
> > Thank you very much.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst...oard/index.htm

Memphoman

      8th Jun 2004
On 06 Jun 2004 20:04:25 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Hellenason7) wrote:

> Is there a FAQ to help me follow the right steps when I change the
>motherboard and CPU? I am about to swap out a P4T533-C for a P4800-E Deluxe
>(2.26 ---> 3.0 CPU). I don't want to lose my hard drives.
> Thank you very much.

My last 2 MB swapped were done WITHOUT reformatting hard drives.
Install new MB, boot OS CD, do a repair, and all will be well. As
always, complete backup should be accomplished prior to...This has
worked fine for me, using XP Pro

Arnie Berger

      9th Jun 2004
(E-Mail Removed) (Hellenason7) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Is there a FAQ to help me follow the right steps when I change the
> motherboard and CPU? I am about to swap out a P4T533-C for a P4800-E Deluxe
> (2.26 ---> 3.0 CPU). I don't want to lose my hard drives.
> Thank you very much.

If you aren't changing the MOBO partitioning and file system, then
there is no reason to reformat it. You can, of course, but I don't
think it is absolutely necessary. You should back up your important
files and then swap out the old MOBO for the new and do a complete
re-install of the O/S. There is a good likelihood that it will work if
you do a repair instead of a new install, but I would play it safe.

arnie