FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - please read before posting - unofficial March posting

Charles Kenyon

      3rd Mar 2005
FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

This FAQ is posted weekly.- more or less
Please save yourself some time by reading it before posting to the
news group.

--- BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING PLEASE READ THESE ---

http://www.mvps.org/word/FindHelp/Posting.htm
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Reading these articles will help you get a quick and meaningful
response to your question rather than just more questions for you.
It may keep your message from being screened or bounced.

A few basics, in case you decide you can skip that article:
(1) Be nice; everyone answering questions here is a volunteer.
(2) Post a question in only one newsgroup generally. If you
_have to_ post in more than one, post a _single_ message and
put both newsgroups in the header for that _single_ message.
(3) Do not attach anything to a message.
(4) The only really stupid question is the one you don't ask.
(5) Do not use your real email address unless you enjoy spam. (See
bottom for sample.)

The reasons for the requests are spelled out on the web pages.

A longer version of this FAQ is also on the Internet at
http://addbalance.com/word

Newsgroup Archives:

Best way to access these newsgroups:
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

MVPs FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word/

---

Also, before posting, you might want to look at the following
questions to see if yours is among them.

1. How can I change the default font from Times Roman New 10pt to
something else?
http://addbalance.com/word/defaultfont.htm

2. Page X of Y doesn't work! (You're right, it doesn't!)
http://addbalance.com/word/pagexofy.htm or
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm

3. How do I insert a date? Why does it (not) change when I
re-open the document?
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm

4. How can I use calculated dates in Word?
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm

5. How can I get a different header/footer on the second (and
subsequent) page(s)?
http://addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm

6. What are some good books for me to read about Word?
http://addbalance.com/word/wordbooks.htm or
http://www.mvps.org/word/Tutorials/B...mendations.htm

7. How can I best use the Master Document feature?
http://addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm

8. Word 2K - How can I keep Word from opening separately for
every document?
http://addbalance.com/word/w2000taskbar.htm

9. Where can I find more information on the Web?
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm

10. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& paperclip?
http://addbalance.com/word/officeassistant.htm

11. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& web toolbar?
http://addbalance.com/word/webtoolbar.htm
(Works for reviewing toolbar, too!)

12. Why doesn't Word's Fonts list show all of the fonts I
have installed in Windows?
http://addbalance.com/word/fontsmissing.htm

13. What are some basic tips for someone who is converting
from Word Perfect?
http://addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm

14. How do I use (What is?) the Work menu?
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm
http://addbalance.com/word/workmenu.htm

15. What are some common errors people make with Word?
http://addbalance.com/word/wordcommonerrors.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm

16. How can I print a booklet?
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...etPrinting.htm

17. How can I get a template to show up under a tab with
File => New?
What are templates? Global templates? Document templates?
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/template.htm

18. I need to make a form to...
If you want a fill-in-the-blanks form you want what Word
calls an online form. Look in help for that and then follow
the links at:
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms
especially Dian Chapman's series of articles

If you want a custom dialog box that you code with VBA
commands you want a UserForm. Take a look at:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Userforms.htm

19. How can I enter something once in a document and have it
repeat elsewhere?
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

20. Where can I find a good tutorial?
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/Tutorials/index.html

21. What is an MVP?
http://www.mvps.org/word/AboutMVPs/index.html and
http://addbalance.com/word/mvp.htm

22. I keep getting insufficient memory errors...
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ientMemory.htm

23. All my menus / toolbars have disappeared! Help.
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

24. When I try to delete I have to confirm it.
Tools => Options => General -- uncheck the two Word Perfect
options

25. I lost my CD Key, disks, etc. and can't reinstall with out it.
If Word came with your computer contact the manufacturer. If
you got it separately, contact Microsoft. Starting place:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823570

26. I'm having trouble with automatic numbering! There's more to
this than meets the eye.
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm

27. I am asked if I want to save changes to the global template
every time I quit Word.
http://addbalance.com/word/savenormal.htm

28. My blank document has text in it - an old letter, etc. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm.

There are more questions than will fit here. For more questions
and answers, take a look at:
http://addbalance.com/word/index.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/word

Comments / corrections / additions may be sent to
mailto: (E-Mail Removed). Change the address by
taking out nospam.

Posted 3 March 2005

Charles Kenyon, editor

Charles Kenyon

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]