FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - please read before posting - unofficial March posting

Charles Kenyon

      3rd Mar 2006
FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

This FAQ is posted weekly.- more or less
Please save yourself some time by reading it before posting to the
news group.

--- BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING PLEASE READ THESE ---

http://www.mvps.org/word/FindHelp/Posting.htm
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Reading these articles will help you get a quick and meaningful
response to your question rather than just more questions for you.
It may keep your message from being screened or bounced.

A few basics, in case you decide you can skip that article:
(1) Be nice; everyone answering questions here is a volunteer.
(2) Post a question in only one newsgroup generally. If you
_have to_ post in more than one, post a _single_ message and
put both newsgroups in the header for that _single_ message.
(3) Do not attach anything to a message.
(4) The only really stupid question is the one you don't ask.
(5) Do not use your real email address unless you enjoy spam. (See
bottom for sample.)

The reasons for the requests are spelled out on the web pages.

A longer version of this FAQ is also on the Internet at
http://addbalance.com/word

Newsgroup Archives:

Best way to access these newsgroups:
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

MVPs FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word/

---

Also, before posting, you might want to look at the following
questions to see if yours is among them.

1. How can I change the default font from Times Roman New 10pt to
something else?
http://addbalance.com/word/defaultfont.htm

2. Page X of Y doesn't work! (You're right, it doesn't!)
http://addbalance.com/word/pagexofy.htm or
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm

3. How do I insert a date? Why does it (not) change when I
re-open the document?
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm

4. How can I use calculated dates in Word?
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm

5. How can I get a different header/footer on the second (and
subsequent) page(s)?
http://addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm

6. What are some good books for me to read about Word?
http://addbalance.com/word/wordbooks.htm or
http://www.mvps.org/word/Tutorials/B...mendations.htm

7. How can I best use the Master Document feature?
http://addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm

8. Word 2K - How can I keep Word from opening separately for
every document?
http://addbalance.com/word/w2000taskbar.htm

9. Where can I find more information on the Web?
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm

10. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& paperclip?
http://addbalance.com/word/officeassistant.htm

11. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& web toolbar?
http://addbalance.com/word/webtoolbar.htm
(Works for reviewing toolbar, too!)

12. How can I get rid of that weird line that appears
magically?
http://addbalance.com/word/borders.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

13. Why doesn't Word's Fonts list show all of the fonts I
have installed in Windows?
http://addbalance.com/word/fontsmissing.htm

14. What are some basic tips for someone who is converting
from Word Perfect?
http://addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm

15. How do I use (What is?) the Work menu?
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm
http://addbalance.com/word/workmenu.htm

16. What are some common errors people make with Word?
http://addbalance.com/word/wordcommonerrors.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm

17. How can I print a booklet?
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...etPrinting.htm

18. How can I get a template to show up under a tab with
File => New?
What are templates? Global templates? Document templates?
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

19. I need to make a form to...
If you want a fill-in-the-blanks form you want what Word
calls an online form. Look in help for that and then follow
the links at:
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms
especially Dian Chapman's series of articles

If you want a custom dialog box that you code with VBA
commands you want a UserForm. Take a look at:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Userforms.htm

20. How can I enter something once in a document and have it
repeat elsewhere?
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

21. I keep getting insufficient memory errors...
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ientMemory.htm

22. All my menus / toolbars have disappeared! Help.
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

23. Changes I make to my toolbars / AutoText aren't saved! If you
have Adobe Acrobat version 7, see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

24. When I try to delete I have to confirm it.
Tools => Options => General -- uncheck the two Word Perfect
options

25. I lost my CD Key, disks, etc. and can't reinstall with out it.
If Word came with your computer contact the manufacturer. If
you got it separately, contact Microsoft. Starting place:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823570

26. I'm having trouble with automatic numbering! There's more to
this than meets the eye.
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm

27. I am asked if I want to save changes to the global template
every time I quit Word.
http://addbalance.com/word/savenormal.htm

28. I can't save my customizations - AutoText, menus, etc.
Can't save normal.dot...
If you have Adobe Acrobat 7 installed see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.
Otherwise, hold down the Shift key when selecting the File
menu and select Save All.
See also http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331259.html.

29. My blank document has text in it - an old letter, etc. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm.

30. I changed the formatting on one thing and now my whole document
has changed.
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...eformatted.htm

31. Documents take a very long time to open.
See http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=830561.

32. I need to set up a letterhead template.
http://addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

33. Where can I find a good tutorial?
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebre....htm#Tutorials
http://www.mvps.org/word/Tutorials/index.html

34. What is an MVP?
http://www.mvps.org/word/AboutMVPs/index.html and
http://addbalance.com/word/mvp.htm

There are more questions than will fit here. For more questions
and answers, take a look at:
http://addbalance.com/word/index.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/word

Comments / corrections / additions may be sent to
mailto: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed). Change the address by
taking out nospam.

Posted 3 March 2006

Charles Kenyon, editor

=?Utf-8?B?SWRhaG8gV29yZCBNYW4=?=

      3rd Mar 2006
There's much useful information here. Is there any way you can post it to a
more "permanent" location on this site? By tomorrow it will be off the first
page, and by next week it will be buried so deeply that nobody will find it.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

> [...]
> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...eformatted.htm
>
> 31. Documents take a very long time to open.
> See http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=830561.
>
> 32. I need to set up a letterhead template.
> http://addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm
> http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm
>
> 33. Where can I find a good tutorial?
> http://addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm
> http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebre....htm#Tutorials
> http://www.mvps.org/word/Tutorials/index.html
>
> 34. What is an MVP?
> http://www.mvps.org/word/AboutMVPs/index.html and
> http://addbalance.com/word/mvp.htm
>
> There are more questions than will fit here. For more questions
> and answers, take a look at:
> http://addbalance.com/word/index.htm and
> http://www.mvps.org/word
>
> Comments / corrections / additions may be sent to
> mailto: (E-Mail Removed). Change the address by

Charles Kenyon

      3rd Mar 2006
In the introduction to the FAQ is a link to the permanent location. You can
find it easily by searching Google using the terms "Microsoft Word question"
or "Microsoft Word FAQ." There is a much more comprensive site mentioned as
well, the MVP FAQ site. See below in the quoted text where you will find
links to both my site and the MVP FAQ site.

The message FAQ is posted almost weekly and a search for FAQ in the
newsgroups will bring it up. I don't have control over how you see it on
your computer, it all depends on how you are accessing the newsgroups. The
best way to use these newsgroups is not with a web browser but with a news
agent (like Outlook Express) and links that are in the posted FAQ will show
you how to do that. (See below.) If you do that, each weekly posting will
show up at the top of your screen when you have it set to show new posts.

A some regular contributors don't like it posted as often as it is because
it clutters up the newsgroup. Posting it as a weekly message like this is,
like many things, a compromise. It is intended to give answers to some
frequent questions and provide links to more comprehensive resources. Like
others who post here, I don't work for Microsoft and have no control over
their website or newsgroups. I'm simply a fellow Word user.

Thank you though, for your suggestion.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Idaho Word Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's much useful information here. Is there any way you can post it to
> more "permanent" location on this site? By tomorrow it will be off the
> first
> page, and by next week it will be buried so deeply that nobody will find
> it.
>

> "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
>
>> FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial
>>
>> This FAQ is posted weekly.- more or less
>> Please save yourself some time by reading it before posting to the
>> news group.
>>
>> --- BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING PLEASE READ THESE ---
>>
>> http://www.mvps.org/word/FindHelp/Posting.htm
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> Reading these articles will help you get a quick and meaningful
>> response to your question rather than just more questions for you.
>> It may keep your message from being screened or bounced.
>>
>> A few basics, in case you decide you can skip that article:
>> (1) Be nice; everyone answering questions here is a volunteer.
>> (2) Post a question in only one newsgroup generally. If you
>> _have to_ post in more than one, post a _single_ message and
>> put both newsgroups in the header for that _single_ message.
>> (3) Do not attach anything to a message.
>> (4) The only really stupid question is the one you don't ask.
>> (5) Do not use your real email address unless you enjoy spam. (See
>> bottom for sample.)
>>
>> The reasons for the requests are spelled out on the web pages.
>>
>> A longer version of this FAQ is also on the Internet at
>> http://addbalance.com/word
>>
>> Newsgroup Archives:
>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
>>
>> Best way to access these newsgroups:
>> http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm
>>
>> MVPs FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word/
>>
>> ---

daviddorothy@gmail.com

      3rd Mar 2006
I'm just learning, just found FAQ and see i shouldn't put in my email
address. How can I change it once i did.

Charles Kenyon

      3rd Mar 2006
If using Outlook Express, change the information on your account. (Under the
Tools menu.)
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm just learning, just found FAQ and see i shouldn't put in my email
> address. How can I change it once i did.

Beth Melton

      5th Mar 2006
Unfortunately this is one of the issues with using the web interface
on the Microsoft site to access the newsgroups - the posts are in a
'page' view. If you plan on hanging out in the newsgroups then I
suggest you use a news reader such as Outlook Express. If you can use
OE then this link will add this newsgroup for you:

Otherwise, if you want to consult the FAQ then you can search for FAQ
to located it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Idaho Word Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's much useful information here. Is there any way you can post
> it to a
> more "permanent" location on this site? By tomorrow it will be off
> the first
> page, and by next week it will be buried so deeply that nobody will
> find it.
>

> "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
>
>> FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

Charles Kenyon

      10th Mar 2006
[...]

Posted 10 March 2006

Charles Kenyon, editor

[...]

[...]