PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

FALLOUT Video Problem?!

 
 
NYC XYZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Aug 2005
Hi, All:

This must be old, this problem I'm suddenly having with Fallout (the
original), but I can't find any reference to it and that's driving me
nuts here!

Especially when considering how things used to work just fine....

Pentium-M @ 1.7GHz w. 1GB System RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 w. 64MB
VRAM -- and DirectX 9c!

Used to work fine under DX8...is 9c the culprit here?

What happens is that the game screen will suddenly "disappear" and then
moving the cursor around "re-paints" in, giant-square-by-giant-square,
the scene! Like wiping away frosting on a wintry window pane to reveal
the world beyond....

Fallout 2 doesn't have any such problems, and, like I said, neither did
this previously! Actually, this video problem starts right from the
installation screen, where specifying the install path makes the screen
"disappear," as I say, into black, and moving the cursor around "wipes
away" the blackness, square-by-square....


PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gregory E. Garland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Aug 2005

"NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, All:
>
>
> What happens is that the game screen will suddenly "disappear" and then
> moving the cursor around "re-paints" in, giant-square-by-giant-square,
> the scene! Like wiping away frosting on a wintry window pane to reveal
> the world beyond....
>


I have had this problem often, but it only appeared when transitioning
from one section to another. If you are having this at other times I cannot
help you, but I seem to recall that moving the cursor to the extremes edges
so that the view slid up/down or right/left would repaint large areas at
a time. Minor nuisance, really.
..


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bateau
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Aug 2005
"NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi, All:
>
>This must be old, this problem I'm suddenly having with Fallout (the
>original), but I can't find any reference to it and that's driving me
>nuts here!
>
>Especially when considering how things used to work just fine....
>
>Pentium-M @ 1.7GHz w. 1GB System RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 w. 64MB
>VRAM -- and DirectX 9c!
>
>Used to work fine under DX8...is 9c the culprit here?
>
>What happens is that the game screen will suddenly "disappear" and then
>moving the cursor around "re-paints" in, giant-square-by-giant-square,
>the scene! Like wiping away frosting on a wintry window pane to reveal
>the world beyond....
>
>Fallout 2 doesn't have any such problems, and, like I said, neither did
>this previously! Actually, this video problem starts right from the
>installation screen, where specifying the install path makes the screen
>"disappear," as I say, into black, and moving the cursor around "wipes
>away" the blackness, square-by-square....
>
>
>PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Are you running any programs in the background that might steal the
focus for a second? Like MSN or Yahoo or something?
I think I got it when replaynig Fallout 2 but it was pretty uncommon. I
think if you just hit F1 twice to bring up and get rid of the help
screen it clears it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
NYC XYZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Aug 2005

Gregory E. Garland wrote:
>
>
> I have had this problem often, but it only appeared when transitioning
> from one section to another. If you are having this at other times I cannot
> help you, but I seem to recall that moving the cursor to the extremes edges
> so that the view slid up/down or right/left would repaint large areas at
> a time. Minor nuisance, really.
> .



Wow, you must not need anesthesia at the dentist, then, if you think a
blacked-out screen every five seconds is a minor annoyance!

It's true moving the cursor to the edge repaints large areas at a time
-- the whole isometric view, actually...but that all goes, and that
doesn't even include the bottom 20% interface.

Is there anything that could be done?? I'm afraid of reverting to DX8
and setting off problems in other games!

 
Reply With Quote
 
NYC XYZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Aug 2005

Bateau wrote:
>
>
> Are you running any programs in the background that might steal the
> focus for a second? Like MSN or Yahoo or something?
> I think I got it when replaynig Fallout 2 but it was pretty uncommon. I
> think if you just hit F1 twice to bring up and get rid of the help
> screen it clears it.



Good idea, but no effect! I disabled my WiFi, exited the McAffe
Anti-Virus...don't know what else to do.

God, but what any annoying problem! And no, as I said, I have no
problems at all playing Fallout 2 with stuff running in the background.

I have 1GB system RAM, on top of everything else!

Hitting F1 does bring up the in-game Quick Reference, but the problem
persists once returned to the game proper. Every three to five seconds
the screen blacks out, repainted only with cursor movements!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gregory E. Garland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Aug 2005

"NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Gregory E. Garland wrote:
>>
>>
>> I have had this problem often, but it only appeared when transitioning
>> from one section to another. If you are having this at other times I
>> cannot
>> help you, but I seem to recall that moving the cursor to the extremes
>> edges
>> so that the view slid up/down or right/left would repaint large areas at
>> a time. Minor nuisance, really.
>> .

>
>
> Wow, you must not need anesthesia at the dentist, then, if you think a
> blacked-out screen every five seconds is a minor annoyance!
>


One of the wonderful discoveries I made after going off to college is
that some dentists actually gave you an anesthetic before they started
drilling on your teeth. :-)

Like I said, this only happened to me on transitions from one area
to another (like going from the Casino area in Junktown to the General
Store area, and even then not all the time); you are having a different
problem
(well, probably not really different). I would suggest you find out your
video
card make and check on their and your computer makers forums for an
answer. (You know the first thing you are going to get is "Make sure you
have the latest drivers installed...blah-blah-blah.... like that ever solved
a problem.)

> It's true moving the cursor to the edge repaints large areas at a time
> -- the whole isometric view, actually...but that all goes, and that
> doesn't even include the bottom 20% interface.
>
> Is there anything that could be done?? I'm afraid of reverting to DX8
> and setting off problems in other games!
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay Pieace
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Aug 2005
Hi,

I am not sure, if it helps, but DirectX 9c (for some strange reason)
does NOT seem to be the problem. Just tried Fallout myself and it seems
to work fine.

Jay Pieace

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Hi, All:
>
> This must be old, this problem I'm suddenly having with Fallout (the
> original), but I can't find any reference to it and that's driving me
> nuts here!
>
> Especially when considering how things used to work just fine....
>
> Pentium-M @ 1.7GHz w. 1GB System RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 w. 64MB
> VRAM -- and DirectX 9c!
>
> Used to work fine under DX8...is 9c the culprit here?
>
> What happens is that the game screen will suddenly "disappear" and then
> moving the cursor around "re-paints" in, giant-square-by-giant-square,
> the scene! Like wiping away frosting on a wintry window pane to reveal
> the world beyond....
>
> Fallout 2 doesn't have any such problems, and, like I said, neither did
> this previously! Actually, this video problem starts right from the
> installation screen, where specifying the install path makes the screen
> "disappear," as I say, into black, and moving the cursor around "wipes
> away" the blackness, square-by-square....
>
>
> PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
NYC XYZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Aug 2005

Jay Pieace wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure, if it helps, but DirectX 9c (for some strange reason)
> does NOT seem to be the problem. Just tried Fallout myself and it seems
> to work fine.
>
> Jay Pieace



Thanks for the 411!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Internet Junkie
Me__2001's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 4,355
 
      3rd Aug 2005
fallout is not DX9 compatible, install the version on the cd

 
I'm out of bed and dressed, what more do you want?

I always take life with a grain of salt, ... a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out

One more step to enlightenment ... but which way ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fallout 3 V_R Gaming 19 10th Nov 2008 06:49 PM
Fallout Tactics video problem Ritz Windows XP Games 2 5th Mar 2007 12:17 AM
Load Last Known Good Configuration Fallout?? Blaze Manfredonia Windows XP General 1 11th May 2004 04:56 AM
What is the fallout from MSHTA.exe vulnerability? Lido Windows XP General 1 19th Mar 2004 05:55 PM
drive failure fallout... Arno Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory 0 17th Oct 2003 11:17 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:45 PM.