Fake Bank Emails

Chevie Brewer

      6th Oct 2004
Hello

I may have been a bit (lot even) silly

Having seen the publicity about fake bank emails I did, when such an
e-mail was sent to me, open the link out of curiousity, just to see how
genuine it looked. I'm now told that just by clicking on the link I may
have opened the door to a trojan which can follow my keystrokes when I
am on to my bank. Is this the case? I thought of changing my passwords
however if my keystrokes can be seen is there any point?

Have I left myself vulnerable please?

Is there anything I should do to safeguard myself please.

Thanks

Chevie

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      6th Oct 2004
Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10...age&tag=button

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym

3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...t/default.aspx

Help Safeguard Your Personal Information Online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/spoof.mspx

Steps that you can take to help identify and to help protect
yourself from deceptive (spoofed) Web sites and malicious hyperlinks

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Chevie Brewer" wrote:

| Hello
|
| I may have been a bit (lot even) silly
|
| Having seen the publicity about fake bank emails I did, when such an
| e-mail was sent to me, open the link out of curiousity, just to see how
| genuine it looked. I'm now told that just by clicking on the link I may
| have opened the door to a trojan which can follow my keystrokes when I
| am on to my bank. Is this the case? I thought of changing my passwords
| however if my keystrokes can be seen is there any point?
|
| Have I left myself vulnerable please?
|
| Is there anything I should do to safeguard myself please.
|
| Thanks
|
| Chevie

Chevie Brewer

      6th Oct 2004
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10...age&tag=button
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym
>
> 3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...t/default.aspx
>
> Help Safeguard Your Personal Information Online
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/spoof.mspx
>
> Steps that you can take to help identify and to help protect
> yourself from deceptive (spoofed) Web sites and malicious hyperlinks

Thank you so much Carey

Firstly I ran the Symantec Secirity Check which took over an hour so it
must have done a thorough job and it reported that my pc was clean and
secure.

S4econdly I installed & ran AdAwareSE which found 100 items most of
which have been quarantined. Not to sure what to do with these at the
moment but will read more to see what I should do next.

Finally I will study the three articles you included hyperlinks for.

Regards

Chevie

      7th Oct 2004
don't open attachment's.

...D.

      7th Oct 2004
You can get delete those quarantined files when you are in Adaware.
Keeping them is OK because it might have somehow pinpointed a file you
need to run your computer by mistake, But that's never happened to me.
Most are just cookies I believe. I just delete quarantined files after my
next batch is identified by Adaware.
...D.
-------
OT : The steel knights (st33l_kn1ghts) are a smaller chatroom group (Yahoo
Messenger based) of computer users. Enjoy knowing the people you are in a
chatroom environment with, and having some new friends to Instant Message.
Beginners are welcome. Those of us who know computers can help you.
Requirements: be a semi-responsible individual.
http://www.steel-knights.com (We don't just talk computers).