Failure on XP at "Starting Services"

sunnyvet

      14th Dec 2007
I recently added a new master drive on my XP system using WDs imaging
software to copy over the partition that held the OS and Apps.

Windows defender would not start and I couldn't delete the program. I
downloaded the Windows Install Cleanup tool to remove WD which was
successful. I atempted to download the latest version and keep getting
through the installation up until it states "Starting Services" and stops
stating "verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services". I
have system administrator priviliges. and never received this question in
previous downloads.

I have tried all the suggestions in the various posts here, including the
verification and diagnostic posts. I am all out of ideas after spending
several hours on this. Hope some one can staighten me out...

sunnyvet

      14th Dec 2007
Weird writing this to myself but all is well. Services said the app was off
but a scan had run last night. I tried starting it and it failed. Restarting
and everything appears working properly. Go figure...

"sunnyvet" wrote:

> I recently added a new master drive on my XP system using WDs imaging
> software to copy over the partition that held the OS and Apps.
>
> Windows defender would not start and I couldn't delete the program. I
> downloaded the Windows Install Cleanup tool to remove WD which was
> successful. I atempted to download the latest version and keep getting
> through the installation up until it states "Starting Services" and stops
> stating "verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services". I
> have system administrator priviliges. and never received this question in
> previous downloads.
>
> I have tried all the suggestions in the various posts here, including the
> verification and diagnostic posts. I am all out of ideas after spending
> several hours on this. Hope some one can staighten me out...

James Rumann

      18th Dec 2007
I am having the same problems the service keeps stopping and this is a
completely new download from microsoft and I am running XP Home SP2. The
error cod is 0x800106ba A problem has caused this service to stop. Any help
would be a appreciated.

"sunnyvet" wrote:

> Weird writing this to myself but all is well. Services said the app was off
> but a scan had run last night. I tried starting it and it failed. Restarting
> and everything appears working properly. Go figure...
>
> "sunnyvet" wrote:
>
> > I recently added a new master drive on my XP system using WDs imaging
> > software to copy over the partition that held the OS and Apps.
> >
> > Windows defender would not start and I couldn't delete the program. I
> > downloaded the Windows Install Cleanup tool to remove WD which was
> > successful. I atempted to download the latest version and keep getting
> > through the installation up until it states "Starting Services" and stops
> > stating "verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services". I
> > have system administrator priviliges. and never received this question in
> > previous downloads.
> >
> > I have tried all the suggestions in the various posts here, including the
> > verification and diagnostic posts. I am all out of ideas after spending
> > several hours on this. Hope some one can staighten me out...

sunnyvet

      18th Dec 2007
My problem was corrected by going to the Control Panel, then Administrative
Tools, then services. Find windows Defender, Stop it, then do a restart.

You could also search Windows support or Google for that error code. I
didn't have that code number but seem to remember something similar in my
journeys.

Good Luck!

"James Rumann" wrote:

> I am having the same problems the service keeps stopping and this is a
> completely new download from microsoft and I am running XP Home SP2. The
> error cod is 0x800106ba A problem has caused this service to stop. Any help
> would be a appreciated.
>
> "sunnyvet" wrote:
>
> > Weird writing this to myself but all is well. Services said the app was off
> > but a scan had run last night. I tried starting it and it failed. Restarting
> > and everything appears working properly. Go figure...
> >
> > "sunnyvet" wrote:
> >
> > > I recently added a new master drive on my XP system using WDs imaging
> > > software to copy over the partition that held the OS and Apps.
> > >
> > > Windows defender would not start and I couldn't delete the program. I
> > > downloaded the Windows Install Cleanup tool to remove WD which was
> > > successful. I atempted to download the latest version and keep getting
> > > through the installation up until it states "Starting Services" and stops
> > > stating "verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services". I
> > > have system administrator priviliges. and never received this question in
> > > previous downloads.
> > >
> > > I have tried all the suggestions in the various posts here, including the
> > > verification and diagnostic posts. I am all out of ideas after spending
> > > several hours on this. Hope some one can staighten me out...

James Rumann

      19th Dec 2007
That didn't work.

"sunnyvet" wrote:

> My problem was corrected by going to the Control Panel, then Administrative
> Tools, then services. Find windows Defender, Stop it, then do a restart.
>
> You could also search Windows support or Google for that error code. I
> didn't have that code number but seem to remember something similar in my
> journeys.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> "James Rumann" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same problems the service keeps stopping and this is a
> > completely new download from microsoft and I am running XP Home SP2. The
> > error cod is 0x800106ba A problem has caused this service to stop. Any help
> > would be a appreciated.
> >
> > "sunnyvet" wrote:
> >
> > > Weird writing this to myself but all is well. Services said the app was off
> > > but a scan had run last night. I tried starting it and it failed. Restarting
> > > and everything appears working properly. Go figure...

Engel

      19th Dec 2007
Hello James,

Take a look here:

Error message when you run Windows Defender: "Error Code 0x800106ba
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=931849>

It might answer your question

hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- ---

WRITERS
We do not write as we want to but as we can. -----Somerset Maugham

"James Rumann" wrote:

> That didn't work.
>
> "sunnyvet" wrote:
>
> > My problem was corrected by going to the Control Panel, then Administrative
> > Tools, then services. Find windows Defender, Stop it, then do a restart.
> >
> > You could also search Windows support or Google for that error code. I
> > didn't have that code number but seem to remember something similar in my
> > journeys.
> >
> > Good Luck!
> >
> > "James Rumann" wrote:
> >
> > > I am having the same problems the service keeps stopping and this is a
> > > completely new download from microsoft and I am running XP Home SP2. The
> > > error cod is 0x800106ba A problem has caused this service to stop. Any help
> > > would be a appreciated.

James Rumann

      23rd Dec 2007

That didn't work either.
"Engel" wrote:

> Hello James,
>
> Take a look here:
>
> Error message when you run Windows Defender: "Error Code 0x800106ba
> <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=931849>
>
> It might answer your question
>
> hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> - -- ---
>

> WRITERS
> We do not write as we want to but as we can. -----Somerset Maugham
>

> "James Rumann" wrote:
>
> > That didn't work.
> >
> > "sunnyvet" wrote:
> >
> > > My problem was corrected by going to the Control Panel, then Administrative
> > > Tools, then services. Find windows Defender, Stop it, then do a restart.
> > >
> > > You could also search Windows support or Google for that error code. I
> > > didn't have that code number but seem to remember something similar in my
> > > journeys.
> > >
> > > Good Luck!

Engel

      23rd Dec 2007
Hi James,

You can repair Windows Defender.

First exit WD, Open WD main page, click the down arrow to the right of the
white question mark in blue circle and then click Exit Windows Defender;

using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Click WD and click Change. Click Next, and then click Updªte.

Reboºt

If you still have the same message, try this:

First exit WD, Open WD main page, click the down arrow to the right of the
white question mark in blue circle and then click Exit Windows Defender;

using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Click WD and click Support Information and click Repªir.

Rebºot.

Let us know how it works ºut
- -- ---

FATE
The inevitable is the great tragedian, never the humorist.