Where is the Failsafe mode?

Lars

      9th May 2004
I just got my new Acer 1454 LCi With ATI 64 mobility
readeon graphics. XP home edition is running. My poblem
began when I tried to play a game ( Battlefied,CM4, TCM-
04) the games starts fine but after a minute or two, itīs
freezes and then crash. This error message turns up in
swedish: Sorry for my weak translation!
[ Windows - system error
Microsoft windows discoverd and recoverd after a unit
error.]
When the game crashes it returns to the desktop, but the
graphics is all bad. This is one problem but I think this
problem can be related to my other problem:
I CANīT FIND WINDOWS FAILSAFE MODE (F8), IT DOESNīT WORK!
I tried to repair my windows xp installation but it
didnīt fix the problem.

Richie NY

      9th May 2004
Your actually looking to boot the PC into what is known
as safe mode. As soon as you turn the PC on continuously
press the F8 key, during boot process, that will bring
you into safe mode.

Uninstall this game from safe mode, reboot and try
reinstalling, now keep this in mind you may want to visit
the game site to see if there are bug fixes or game
patches generally related to XP.

LArs

      9th May 2004
Sorry this is were my problem begins, I canīt bring the
computer into safe mode. Itīs not responding to f8 key.
Any new ideés??

translation!
>>[ Windows - system error
>>Microsoft windows discoverd and recoverd after a unit
>>error.]
>>When the game crashes it returns to the desktop, but

the
>>graphics is all bad. This is one problem but I think

>this
>>problem can be related to my other problem:
>>I CANīT FIND WINDOWS FAILSAFE MODE (F8), IT DOESNīT

>WORK!
>>I tried to repair my windows xp installation but it
>>didnīt fix the problem.
>>
>>.
>>

>.

NetNut

      9th May 2004
If you have an 'F lock' (function lock) key or an 'Office' key , press it
then f8. Sometimes you can be to slow some times to quick.(if there are Leds
on the keyboard, watch for the first flicker of light from them as a clue to
timing it right).
The NetNut

"LArs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a51401c435f9$f9367100$(E-Mail Removed)...
Sorry this is were my problem begins, I canīt bring the
computer into safe mode. Itīs not responding to f8 key.
Any new ideés??

translation!
>>[ Windows - system error
>>Microsoft windows discoverd and recoverd after a unit
>>error.]
>>When the game crashes it returns to the desktop, but

the
>>graphics is all bad. This is one problem but I think

>this
>>problem can be related to my other problem:
>>I CANīT FIND WINDOWS FAILSAFE MODE (F8), IT DOESNīT

>WORK!
>>I tried to repair my windows xp installation but it
>>didnīt fix the problem.
>>
>>.
>>

>.

Jerry

      9th May 2004
Start > Run and in the box: MSCONFIG and select a startup function to help
you troubleshoot.

"LArs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a51401c435f9$f9367100$(E-Mail Removed)...
Sorry this is were my problem begins, I canīt bring the
computer into safe mode. Itīs not responding to f8 key.
Any new ideés??

translation!
>>[ Windows - system error
>>Microsoft windows discoverd and recoverd after a unit
>>error.]
>>When the game crashes it returns to the desktop, but

the
>>graphics is all bad. This is one problem but I think

>this
>>problem can be related to my other problem:
>>I CANīT FIND WINDOWS FAILSAFE MODE (F8), IT DOESNīT

>WORK!
>>I tried to repair my windows xp installation but it
>>didnīt fix the problem.
>>
>>.
>>

>.

Alex Nichol

      10th May 2004
Lars wrote:

>When the game crashes it returns to the desktop, but the
>graphics is all bad. This is one problem but I think this
>problem can be related to my other problem:
>I CANīT FIND WINDOWS FAILSAFE MODE (F8), IT DOESNīT WORK!

The time window for hitting F8 comes right after power on, as soon as
any BIOS info goes to black, and *before* the windows splash screen. It
can be tricky to hit. An alternative is to Start - Run - MSConfig.exe
and on Boot.ini check /SAFEBOOT. Exit and reboot into Safe Mode.
Before returning to normal you will have to run it again to uncheck the
box. Exit and on the reboot there will be a message about 'System
Configuration'. Check the 'Do not show again' box and exit

If you are in bad trouble with video drivers you may find it useful to
instead use the /BASEVIDEO option there, which will give you basic video
in otherwise normal mode, while you get and install up to date XP
compatible drivers from the makers of your video card. Always get the
maker's ones - not ones from Windows Update

Bournemouth, U.K. (E-Mail Removed) (remove the D8 bit)

Jim Macklin

      10th May 2004
I think the OP was asking about the isolation of
applications from the OS.

"Alex Nichol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...