Faded or DimmedFolder Box

Watty

      3rd Jul 2007
I'm trying to find some files with a specific suffix. Search doesn't find
them, so I've concluded they are hidden. I think I have properly made all
files visible. However, there's an oddity. If I try to descend into folderw
where I think the files should be expected, I see folders that are dimmed
(yellow), but their contents are still accessible. What does the dimming mean?

The files I'm looking for are should be below Settings and Documents down
through Application Data. The trouble is on my fairly new Gateway laptop
with Media XP. With the same program on my desktop with XP Pro, I have no
trouble finding the files I seek.

Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

"Running [your car's air] conditioner, while it does draw power
from the vehicle's engine, only reduced each vehicle's fuel
economy by about 1 mile per gallon." -- Consumer Reports/CNN

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Mark F.

      3rd Jul 2007
Watty wrote:
> I'm trying to find some files with a specific suffix. Search doesn't find
> them, so I've concluded they are hidden. I think I have properly made all
> files visible. However, there's an oddity. If I try to descend into folderw
> where I think the files should be expected, I see folders that are
> dimmed (yellow), but their contents are still accessible. What does the
> dimming mean?
>
> The files I'm looking for are should be below Settings and Documents down
> through Application Data. The trouble is on my fairly new Gateway laptop
> with Media XP. With the same program on my desktop with XP Pro, I have no
> trouble finding the files I seek.

Files that appear dim are have their hidden file attribute set.

Mark

W. Watson

      4th Jul 2007
Under Tools, I have show hidden files. Shouldn't that show everything?

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

Mark F.

      4th Jul 2007
W. Watson wrote:
> Under Tools, I have show hidden files. Shouldn't that show everything?

In the Folder Options dialog select the "View" tab. In the Advanced
Settings list box you will see "Hide protected operating system files
(Recommended)". Uncheck it to display files with +S+H attributes. Above
that there is a radio (round bullet) button that says "Show hidden files
and folders". It needs to be checked.

The files(s) will still appear dimmed which denotes hidden.

HTH
Mark

Ron Badour

      5th Jul 2007
Folders that are dimmed are those that would normally be hidden but you have
chosen to unhide them in Folder Options.

--
Regards

Ron Badour
MS MVP 1997 - 2007

"Watty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newswrii.3175$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to find some files with a specific suffix. Search doesn't find
> them, so I've concluded they are hidden. I think I have properly made all
> files visible. However, there's an oddity. If I try to descend into
> folderw
> where I think the files should be expected, I see folders that are dimmed
> (yellow), but their contents are still accessible. What does the dimming
> mean?
>
> The files I'm looking for are should be below Settings and Documents down
> through Application Data. The trouble is on my fairly new Gateway laptop
> with Media XP. With the same program on my desktop with XP Pro, I have no
> trouble finding the files I seek.
>

> --
> Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
>
> (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
> Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>
> "Running [your car's air] conditioner, while it does draw power
> from the vehicle's engine, only reduced each vehicle's fuel
> economy by about 1 mile per gallon." -- Consumer Reports/CNN
>
> Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

W. Watson

      6th Jul 2007
Ah, ha. Yet another box ("Hide Protected).

What I'm trying to do is discover a folder and files on my laptop that ought
to be under Set&Doc, but Search isn't finding them. They are application
files and the same application is installed on my desktop. I can find them
easily with a Search. Even from the top level directory (C:/) on the laptop,
they are not showing up. The application does run.

Hmmm, I just found them, but drilling down through Set&Doc. Very odd. At
least I know where they are, and now I can play with them. Maybe it had
something to do with using the two buttons under the View tab for "Apply
All" and "Reset All".

As a new question, why does Folder Options sometimes produce a dialog window
with 2 tabs and at other times 4 tabs?