F-Prot and F-Secure the same thing?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

      26th Jun 2004
Same company? Hard to tell from the F-Secure website what company creates it. Which is the better product? F-Prot's website has nothing about Scob, which is odd...

null@zilch.com

      26th Jun 2004
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:07:00 GMT, Eepē <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Same company?

No.

>Hard to tell from the F-Secure website what company creates it.

Creates what?

>Which is the better product?

F-Secure since it uses the KAV scan engine.

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

      27th Jun 2004
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:07:00 GMT, Eepē <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hard to tell from the F-Secure website what company creates it.

> Creates what?

F-Secure--anyway, seems F-Secure Corp creates it...whatever. Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time, the same company. I can't find the screenshot now but there is a Win95 F-Secure "about" dialog with Frisk as the developer, not F-Secure.

> >Which is the better product?

> F-Secure since it uses the KAV scan engine.

What's so special about that engine? How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does it detect compared to other engines?

null@zilch.com

      27th Jun 2004
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:29:43 GMT, Eepē <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:07:00 GMT, Eepē <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Hard to tell from the F-Secure website what company creates it.

>> Creates what?

>F-Secure--anyway, seems F-Secure Corp creates it...whatever.

>Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time,
>the same company.

No. Up until recently, F-Secure used the F-Prot scan engine (as well
as KAV).

>> >Which is the better product?

>> F-Secure since it uses the KAV scan engine.

>What's so special about that engine?

It's just very good and reliable in many respects.

>How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does
>it detect compared to other engines?

It's one of the best in every category.

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

Frederic Bonroy

      27th Jun 2004
Eepē wrote:

> F-Secure--anyway, seems F-Secure Corp creates it...whatever. Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time, the same company. I can't find the screenshot now but there is a Win95 F-Secure "about" dialog with Frisk as the developer, not F-Secure.

F-Secure's product used the F-Prot engine and the KAV engine
simultaneously until recently. The F-Prot engine was dropped but I have
no idea why.
Additonnally, F-Secure also offered F-Prot for DOS and even made its own
DEF files.

> What's so special about that engine? How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does it detect compared to other engines?

KAV doesn't detect any "virii" but it's quite good at detecting viruses. ;-)

harry wong

      27th Jun 2004
I was going to comment but my dogii are barking.

"Frederic Bonroy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Eepē wrote:
>
> > F-Secure--anyway, seems F-Secure Corp creates it...whatever. Though I

think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time, the same
company. I can't find the screenshot now but there is a Win95 F-Secure
"about" dialog with Frisk as the developer, not F-Secure.

> F-Secure's product used the F-Prot engine and the KAV engine
> simultaneously until recently. The F-Prot engine was dropped but I have
> no idea why.
> Additonnally, F-Secure also offered F-Prot for DOS and even made its own
> DEF files.
>
> > What's so special about that engine? How many

virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does it detect compared to other engines?

> KAV doesn't detect any "virii" but it's quite good at detecting viruses.

;-)

James Egan

      28th Jun 2004
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:52:51 +0200, Frederic Bonroy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>F-Secure's product used the F-Prot engine and the KAV engine
>simultaneously until recently. The F-Prot engine was dropped but I have
>no idea why.

>Additonnally, F-Secure also offered F-Prot for DOS and even made its own
>DEF files.

iirc in the late nineties if you were commercial (european) you were
obliged to buy f-secure not f-prot.

Also, f-secure used the f-prot engine as well as avp (now kav) engine
and now have their own scanner instead of f-prot.

Setaro will explain all, hopefully.

Jim.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

      28th Jun 2004
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:29:43 GMT, Eepē <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:07:00 GMT, Eepē <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>

> >Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time,
> >the same company.

> No. Up until recently, F-Secure used the F-Prot scan engine (as well
> as KAV).

Why?

> >> F-Secure since it uses the KAV scan engine.

> >What's so special about that engine?

> It's just very good and reliable in many respects.
>
> >How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does
> >it detect compared to other engines?

> It's one of the best in every category.

How so?

Specifics, man! :P

null@zilch.com

      28th Jun 2004
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:18:58 GMT, Eepē <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time,
>> >the same company.

>> No. Up until recently, F-Secure used the F-Prot scan engine (as well
>> as KAV).

>Why?

Ask F-Secure.

>> >What's so special about that engine?

>> It's just very good and reliable in many respects.
>>
>> >How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does
>> >it detect compared to other engines?

>> It's one of the best in every category.

>How so?
>
>Specifics, man! :P

There haven't been any comprehensive tests done recently. But you can
check the independent test sites mentioned here:

http://www.claymania.com/anti-virus.html

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

Jeffrey A. Setaro

      28th Jun 2004
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:40:55 +0100, James Egan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:52:51 +0200, Frederic Bonroy
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>F-Secure's product used the F-Prot engine and the KAV engine
>>simultaneously until recently. The F-Prot engine was dropped but I have
>>no idea why.

>>Additonnally, F-Secure also offered F-Prot for DOS and even made its own
>>DEF files.
>>

>iirc in the late nineties if you were commercial (european) you were
>obliged to buy f-secure not f-prot.
>
>Also, f-secure used the f-prot engine as well as avp (now kav) engine
>and now have their own scanner instead of f-prot.
>
>Setaro will explain all, hopefully.

I'll try... My memory is a bit fuzzy on some of this... So don't take
this as fact. (Hopefully, Frisk or Nick will fill in or correct the
missing or mangled bits)

If memory serves the story goes something like this...

1) Frisk Created F-Prot.

2) Frisk licensed the F-Prot engine to Command Software Systems and
Data Fellows (no F-Secure).

3) Command Software and Data Fellows developed and sold anti-virus
software branded as "F-Prot Professional" in their respective
territories. (IRCC North America & the UK for Command Software and the
European continent for Data Fellows.

4) At some point in the late 90s Data Fellows and Command Software
started selling their products globally.

5) Command Software rebranded their version of F-Prot Professional as
Command Anti-virus.

6) Data Fellows rebranded their version of F-Prot Professional as
F-Secure Anti-Virus and entered into a licensing agreement with a
Kaspersky Labs and began integrated both the F-Prot and AVP scanning
engines into FSAV.

7) Data Fellows changed its name to F-Secure and went public.

8) Command Software was acquired by or merged with Authentium.

9) (recently) F-Secure replaced F-Prot engine their own Orion & Lybra
engines... The Orion engine is heuristic engine designed specifically
to detect Win32 malware . The Lybra engine handles script and macro
viruses.

(This make perfect since to me BTW. The F-Prot and KAV engines
essentially replicate each others detection capabilities, at least in
terms of "legacy" viruses... Why continue using two scanning engines
that essentially duplicate each others detection capabilities when you
can replace one then with a scanning engines that are specifically
designed to deal with the current and/or future malware.)

Cheers-

Jeff Setaro
(E-Mail Removed)
http://people.mags.net/jasetaro/
PGP Key IDs DH/DSS: 0x5D41429D RSA: 0x599D2A99 New RSA: 0xA19EBD34