External Reminders

MissCathexis

      14th Jul 2008
I noticed someone else posted this issue before, I wanted to let you know he
wasn't the only one concerned about it.

Keeping Outlook open reduces available resources, but I do want to be
reminded of appointments, even when Outlook isn't open. The previous post
mentions that Microsoft Works has a reminder engine that runs in the
background. Why can't Outlook have something similar? It seems like the
reminder option isn't very effective if it only works when Outlook is open.
I think this is important!!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ok.calendaring

Gordon

      14th Jul 2008
"MissCathexis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I noticed someone else posted this issue before, I wanted to let you know
>he
> wasn't the only one concerned about it.
>
> Keeping Outlook open reduces available resources, but I do want to be
> reminded of appointments, even when Outlook isn't open. The previous
> post
> mentions that Microsoft Works has a reminder engine that runs in the
> background. Why can't Outlook have something similar? It seems like the
> reminder option isn't very effective if it only works when Outlook is
> open.
> I think this is important!!

But email also doesn't work when Outlook isn't open! What do you expect?
Outlook is designed for a corporate environment, and indeed that is where
the vast majority of installations occur, therefore that is where the
functions are aimed. In a coporate environment Outlook IS open all the time.
if you find Outlook is taking too much of your system resources then you
need to address that. I am running Outlook 2007 and it takes up 57 MB RAM
only. If your version (which you failed to post) is taking up much more than
that then there is something wrong.

Diane Poremsky {MVP}

      14th Jul 2008
How much ram it uses is dependant on how much is installed (the more you
have, the more it uses) and whether its minimized... I can get down to about
15 meg when I minimize Outlook 2007.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
(E-Mail Removed)

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

> "MissCathexis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I noticed someone else posted this issue before, I wanted to let you know
>>he
>> wasn't the only one concerned about it.
>>
>> Keeping Outlook open reduces available resources, but I do want to be
>> reminded of appointments, even when Outlook isn't open. The previous
>> post
>> mentions that Microsoft Works has a reminder engine that runs in the
>> background. Why can't Outlook have something similar? It seems like the
>> reminder option isn't very effective if it only works when Outlook is
>> open.
>> I think this is important!!

> But email also doesn't work when Outlook isn't open! What do you expect?
> Outlook is designed for a corporate environment, and indeed that is where
> the vast majority of installations occur, therefore that is where the
> functions are aimed. In a coporate environment Outlook IS open all the
> time. if you find Outlook is taking too much of your system resources then
> you need to address that. I am running Outlook 2007 and it takes up 57 MB
> RAM only. If your version (which you failed to post) is taking up much
> more than that then there is something wrong.

Brian Tillman

      14th Jul 2008
Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am running
> Outlook 2007 and it takes up 57 MB RAM only. If your version (which
> you failed to post) is taking up much more than that then there is
> something wrong.

System resources are not limited to RAM (and my Outlook right now is taking
50 MB RAM). There are file handles, user resources, GDI resources, page
table entries, device control blocks, and other kernel data structures that
contribute. On the whole, these resources are managed well in NT-based
versions of Windows, but it's not perfect.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]