External 1TB drive is clicking

Mike Tomlinson

      1st Sep 2011
En el artículo <Ufw7q.130094$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com>,
GMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió:

>I have been looking for the one i have from when i used to work for Tandy
>Corporation. I worked for Incredible universe that was bought out by Computer
>City, then bought out by CompUSA. It was made by toshiba for snapping the
>laptop halves apart. It worked similar to the way a shoehorn or similar
>works. Will post a url when i find the exact one. It was made of plastic.

It's called a T-wedge.

http://jasper.org.uk/twedge1.jpg
http://jasper.org.uk/twedge2.jpg

I have two, and no, they're not for sale ;-)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Rod Speed

      1st Sep 2011
Mike Tomlinson wrote
> GMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> I have been looking for the one i have from when i used to work for
>> Tandy Corporation. I worked for Incredible universe that was bought
>> out by Computer City, then bought out by CompUSA. It was made by
>> toshiba for snapping the laptop halves apart. It worked similar to
>> the way a shoehorn or similar works. Will post a url when i find
>> the exact one. It was made of plastic.

> It's called a T-wedge.

> http://jasper.org.uk/twedge1.jpg
> http://jasper.org.uk/twedge2.jpg

What's the purpose of the mm markings ?

> I have two, and no, they're not for sale ;-)

John Turco

      2nd Sep 2011
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> > Yousuf Khan wrote:
> >
> > I got an external 1 TB USB2 drive from Iomega
> >
> > I couldn't get the enclosure opened without breaking it.

> There are several YouTube videos about opening external hard drive
> enclosures. I have only an old Iomega HD, and it has some screws
> hidden behind its rubber feet.
>
> Other enclosures with halves that meet in the middle of the perimeter
> probably need one of the halves pressed in and the other pressed out,
> to release tabs. Fingers often work for this, but a thin, dull,
> smooth knife (like a butter knife) or two can be a real help here and
> will not only slip into the crack easier but also gouge the plastic
> less. Those tabs often break but can be reglued with solvent weld
> (lacquer thinner, automotive carburetor choke or throttle body spray),
> but full strength doesn't develop for 48 hours. Do not use super glue.

I've found that an expired credit card is useful, for such a purpose.
(It's less likely to cause damage, than a metal tool.)

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

      2nd Sep 2011
GMAN wrote:

> > "larry moe 'n curly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >> Yousuf Khan wrote:
> >>
> >> I got an external 1 TB USB2 drive from Iomega
> >>
> >> I couldn't get the enclosure opened without breaking it.

> > There are several YouTube videos about opening external hard drive
> > enclosures. I have only an old Iomega HD, and it has some screws
> > hidden behind its rubber feet.
> >
> > Other enclosures with halves that meet in the middle of the perimeter
> > probably need one of the halves pressed in and the other pressed out,
> > to release tabs. Fingers often work for this, but a thin, dull,
> > smooth knife (like a butter knife) or two can be a real help here and
> > will not only slip into the crack easier but also gouge the plastic
> > less. Those tabs often break but can be reglued with solvent weld
> > (lacquer thinner, automotive carburetor choke or throttle body spray),
> > but full strength doesn't develop for 48 hours. Do not use super glue.

> There is a simple plastic tool you can get for cheap that is meant for
> popping open laptops that can work for all other cases like you describe.

I've managed to pry open notebook computers, with an expired ctedit card.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Yousuf Khan

      2nd Sep 2011
On 01/09/2011 12:21 AM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
> It's called a T-wedge.
>
> http://jasper.org.uk/twedge1.jpg
> http://jasper.org.uk/twedge2.jpg
>
> I have two, and no, they're not for sale ;-)

I just did a search on Ebay for this T-wedge, found nothing. Is there a
more generic term that they could be listed under? I tried "laptop
opener", didn't seem to match anything relevant. LOL. %)

Yousuf Khan

Mike S.

      2nd Sep 2011

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>GMAN wrote:

>> > There are several YouTube videos about opening external hard drive
>> > enclosures. I have only an old Iomega HD, and it has some screws
>> > hidden behind its rubber feet.
>> >
>> > Other enclosures with halves that meet in the middle of the perimeter
>> > probably need one of the halves pressed in and the other pressed out,
>> > to release tabs. Fingers often work for this, but a thin, dull,
>> > smooth knife (like a butter knife) or two can be a real help here and
>> > will not only slip into the crack easier but also gouge the plastic
>> > less. Those tabs often break but can be reglued with solvent weld
>> > (lacquer thinner, automotive carburetor choke or throttle body spray),
>> > but full strength doesn't develop for 48 hours. Do not use super glue.

>> There is a simple plastic tool you can get for cheap that is meant for
>> popping open laptops that can work for all other cases like you describe.

>I've managed to pry open notebook computers, with an expired ctedit card.

Nylon guitar picks come in handy for cell phones and small electronics, perhaps
they would work here.

Tom Del Rosso

      6th Sep 2011

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

> It's called a T-wedge.
>
> http://jasper.org.uk/twedge1.jpg
> http://jasper.org.uk/twedge2.jpg
>
> I have two, and no, they're not for sale ;-)

If it's just flat you could make one, if you use the right kind of plastic.
How rigid is it, for example how rigid compared to the plastic ruler?

zero, and remove the last word.

John Turco

      16th Sep 2011
"Mike S." wrote:

> > John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> GMAN wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> >> There is a simple plastic tool you can get for cheap that is meant for
> >> popping open laptops that can work for all other cases like you describe.

> > I've managed to pry open notebook computers, with an expired ctedit card.

> Nylon guitar picks come in handy for cell phones and small electronics,
> perhaps they would work here.

Clever idea, which might well succeed.

--
Cordially,